Internet cafes dying out?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

I was thinking the other day I'm not sure if I know of one. Stain closed recently. Maybe they are no longer needed now that many cell phones get the net, many places have free wireless, most new computer purchases are laptops.

A Canpages search brings up only 3 - Stain, James Bay Coffee and Peacock.

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

There was one a few years back in the Vancouver/Johnson strip mall behind Moxie's. It was usually packed with Asian gamers.

They never seemed to catch on here like they did in other countries, even with our large foreign student population. I've been to this one in Berlin--it's huge.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:40 PM

I was thinking the other day I'm not sure if I know of one. Stain closed recently. Maybe they are no longer needed now that many cell phones get the net, many places have free wireless, most new computer purchases are laptops.

A Canpages search brings up only 3 - Stain, James Bay Coffee and Peacock.

When did Stain close? last time I checked it was still open...Peacock has very lil in terms of internet computers now that they are in the newish location.

#4 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:13 PM

There is another on Yates between Douglas and Broad, and the video store on Yates west of Quadra has a number of terminals as well.

Stain was always dark and disgusting inside.

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:20 PM

^Hollywood Tonight.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:17 AM

Stain was always dark and disgusting inside.

I know, it had no downside, so I'm surprised it closed.

#7 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:23 AM

The other reason they are on their way out is that laptops and their ilk have become so cheap. Most people under the age of 30 likely have some form of a portable computer.

The cost of computers has also continued to fall. You can get a Netbook for a less than the cost of the newest iPod

#8 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

^ The damned proletariat is getting into everything these days!;)
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:31 PM

I feel sorry for those that invested in those coin-operated Internet kiosks.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

Most people can also go and use the ones at the library to.

#11 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

Stain is still open.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

Stain is still open.

Hmmm, it had a bailiffs notice on the door last week. Up out of the ashes like Kabuku Kabs I guess.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

I was thinking the other day I'm not sure if I know of one. Stain closed recently.

Stain is still open.

Stain has now shut down and it looks like it's for good.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Anyone can go to the library (even tourists) get a library card and go online. And that is only if they don't have wifi capable smartphone that they can use at Starbucks. The way of the dodo just like Video rental.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

I think a lot of the appeal with a place like Stain was the multiplayer gaming. Lots of kids would gather there just for that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

Oh I have never done that stuff so I guess can't relate to it. That said I have seen people doing that at the library too,

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

I think a lot of the appeal with a place like Stain was the multiplayer gaming. Lots of kids would gather there just for that.

Ya, that's what the karaoke/internet place on Yates seems to cater to. It opens at 2pm each day. Slackers sleep in.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users