VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

Community groups, businesses rally to raise funds for Haiti

Published: January 20, 2010 8:00 AM
Updated: January 20, 2010 8:37 AM

http://www.bclocalne...y/82166762.html

One of Victoria’s most recognizable characters is putting his fame toward a good cause.

Gordy Dodd will spend 12 hours suspended 15 metres in the air on a crane Friday. He hopes to lure curious passersby to his parking lot where he will collect cash and cheque donations for the Red Cross’ relief effort in Haiti.

[...]

#2 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

Thats nice. So Gordy Dodd and Dodds Furniture are contributing how much towards Haiti? Zero from what I can tell.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

Thats nice. So Gordy Dodd and Dodds Furniture are contributing how much towards Haiti? Zero from what I can tell.

...the ad that is running on CFAX says he has dropped $5k personally.

#4 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

I wonder if he ever did anything for all of the people who bought furniture based on a rebate program that went defunct before they could collect?

#5 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hey, lets not dump on Gordy. He funds a homeless Xmas dinner, and has apparently given 5k of his own bucks, as well as however much it costs to rent the crane......
He's got weird ads, but he's a good guy!
Pieta VanDyke

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

^ I agree out of the many many businesses in Victoria I would bet he gives far more than most.

#7 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

^ I agree out of the many many businesses in Victoria I would bet he gives far more than most.

Yes he does. I have a lot of respect for him. So back off all you negative Nellies.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

That said I have never bought any furniture from him as well it ain't my style.

#9 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

...the ad that is running on CFAX says he has dropped $5k personally.

Then I stand corrected. Good for him!!!

I highly doubt he is paying for the crane, more than likely one of the crane companies in town are donating the crane

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

That said I have never bought any furniture from him as well it ain't my style.

I bought a leather couch once, that's all I've ever bought I think.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

I'd rather see various Victoria celebrities like Ian Thow, "Dr." Jason Walker and Carolann Steinhoff put up in the crane and the more that is donated, the longer they stay up there.

[IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j142/Theoldvictorian/Funny%20Photoshops/Gordy_Dodd.gif">
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:04 AM

Yes he does. I have a lot of respect for him. So back off all you negative Nellies.

I have respect for Gordie as well. Smart business guy, good marketer, and does well by the community.

I just don't think it is a smart business move doing a stunt to raise money for charity when he has hundreds of customers (according to the TC) who have just been stiffed (at least) tens of thousands of dollars.

If I was one of those customers I would be pretty upset.

#13 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:27 AM

I have respect for Gordie as well. Smart business guy, good marketer, and does well by the community.

I just don't think it is a smart business move doing a stunt to raise money for charity when he has hundreds of customers (according to the TC) who have just been stiffed (at least) tens of thousands of dollars.

If I was one of those customers I would be pretty upset.

What does one have to do with the other? It's not like he just invented a philanthropic persona to make up for an unfortunate business decision. Gordy Dodd is a stud and has been doing this stuff for years. From what I understand, he came from nothing and has never forgot it, by giving back to the less fortunate all the time. The man doesn't deserve to be maligned.

As for the free trips to Las Vegas debacle, Dodd's hooked up with a promotional company that had been around since the 1980s; it wasn't a fly-by-night operation. And I hear at the end of the day, Dodd's will be out the money because he plans on reimbursing his customers - because that's the kind of guy he is. I know a lot of business folks - and I'm not excluding developersm, here - who would wash their hands of the whole thing and walk away.

#14 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:07 AM

What does one have to do with the other? It's not like he just invented a philanthropic persona to make up for an unfortunate business decision. Gordy Dodd is a stud and has been doing this stuff for years. From what I understand, he came from nothing and has never forgot it, by giving back to the less fortunate all the time. The man doesn't deserve to be maligned.

As for the free trips to Las Vegas debacle, Dodd's hooked up with a promotional company that had been around since the 1980s; it wasn't a fly-by-night operation. And I hear at the end of the day, Dodd's will be out the money because he plans on reimbursing his customers - because that's the kind of guy he is. I know a lot of business folks - and I'm not excluding developersm, here - who would wash their hands of the whole thing and walk away.

If Gordie reimburses his customers then great and I concur that he is a stand up guy. That is why I had asked whether or not he has made good yet.

#15 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

It states in the article front and centre that United Rentals is donating the crane for the 12 hour period. Then again I didn't know United Rentals had cranes, I thought they only supplied telehandlers...

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

He is at $20k as of around 5pm.

#17 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

If Gordie reimburses his customers then great and I concur that he is a stand up guy. That is why I had asked whether or not he has made good yet.

You do realize aside from Mr. Dodd trying to make good to his customers that his family lost $100,000 in this collapse!
I agree with Bob Fugger. Not sure what one has to do with the other. Dissing Dodd who's raising money for Haiti is a bit tacky IMO.

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

Then again I didn't know United Rentals had cranes, I thought they only supplied telehandlers...

It's actually a scissor lift. I saw him today waving to traffic.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#19 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

He is at $20k as of around 5pm.

Apparently $27K by 7pm!

#20 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

It's actually a scissor lift. I saw him today waving to traffic.

Once again the local media is so apt to picking up on details, and they wonder why print media is a dying trend?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users