[Sidney] The Pier | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2007

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:55 AM

Hold that thought...I'll start a Shoal Point thread.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#62 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

These were taken on Thursday April 19 at 7 am

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for those pics. I like the east face of this building but the lower part of the side facing the parking lot is just a blank wall. What's that all about?

Not to suggest that the parking lot deserves any better than that, but I think we can presume that eventually something will be built on that site, and it's too bad the space between the Pier and the hypothetical building couldn't have been an interesting commercial/residential lane or something along those lines.

#64 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:09 AM

Fantastic Pics! Thanks!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#65 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:24 PM

Hmm. I still don't like it... too big, too close to the water. I stand by my first horrified assessment and hereby begin the countdown to closure for mineral world.

I think Sidney should have start out big (both mass and height) closer to the Pat Bay - like a shiny new gateway condo and office district and stepped down heading east to retain the character towards the water.

#66 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:35 PM

I don't particularily like it either, it's too wide and not tall enough, volume wise it's ok, and it would be better suited on the other side of the street as the lower build and future buildings rising in the west. They could have done more to address the street front, but on that side of the street, it's less apealing. As it is, it's way better than what was there before, so no complaints, besides they could've done so much more, and brought a lot more density to downtown sidney.

#67 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:32 PM

Another forumer and I were out here last Friday and I have to say I like it. I think it fits well with what Sidney has going on, plus it has the most beautiful lawn out front to hang out and take in the views.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users