Photo

Gay nightclubs in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

Victoria will be getting two new Gay lounges, The first is on the second floor of the building that houses the Garicks head pub, and the other is opening in the Pauls motor inn complex on Douglas.:D

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

http://www.centralil...l/42833807.html :eek:

I guess that's only a net increase of one, since the upper part of the Paisley in Esquimalt recently closed.

#3 hoi polloi

hoi polloi
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

where will sagacity meet now...

#4 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:51 PM

Aparently the guy behind the paisley, is the owner of the new lounge in the Garicks head building

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

We are down to just one gay bar now I guess.

And I found out last night Paparazzi is no longer open afternoons.   It used to open at 3pm, it's 7pm opening now.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

Can I just ask how much we need "gay bars" now? Are bars and nightclubs more inclusive in 2015 or has there been some demographic shift :ie an aging gay population that simply does not go to clubs any more?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

Can I just ask how much we need "gay bars" now? Are bars and nightclubs more inclusive in 2015 or has there been some demographic shift :ie an aging gay population that simply does not go to clubs any more?

Oh, I think everywhere is more inclusive now.

But let's face it, you do not even see gay men holding hands in public much.  I can see a reason why gay clubs still exist.

• http and stormy like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

I see gay men holding hands all the time. But yeah, there are still some regressive Neanderthals out there.

• stormy likes this

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:17 PM

Look at it this way. If you're gay and are hanging out at a gay club/bar, chances are that if you hit on someone of the same sex they'll respond more favourably to you. If you're gay and are hitting on someone of the same sex in a regular club/bar, chances are you'll be met with a blank face or get told to move along, which I'm sure would be embarrassing. 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:16 PM

If you're gay and are hitting on someone of the same sex in a regular club/bar, chances are you'll be met with a blank face or get told to move along, which I'm sure would be embarrassing. 

So, just like the rest of us!  True equality, finally acheived!

But seriously, I see why safe spaces are needed I was just wondering why the reduction in availablity of this type of space.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#11 Wally

Wally
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

One word. Tinder

#12 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:03 PM

One shorter word: Grindr

#13 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

Hey, they are the same length.

And I don't know what either are.

Edited by LJ, 02 April 2015 - 07:28 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:06 AM

Word on the street is Paparazzi is facing issues in lease renewal in the next year. Possible no gay bars in Victoria on a year.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#15 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:17 PM

Hey, they are the same length.

And I don't know what either are.

You don't need to go to bars to pick up a 'date'. There is an app (or three) for that.

#16 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:19 AM

This from September 2013

This quote is either written or spoken wrong...otherwise my identity has been stolen.

[...] Paparazzi co-owner Attila Bassett characterized comments that the city had no more gay spaces as "insulting," writing on Facebook that "Paparazzi is a space for all. It's a place where everyone and anyone can be you."

http://www.vicnews.c.../224621891.html

#17 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:23 AM

Some more information gathered. Paparazzi's lease is up August 2016. They are interested in doing "major renovations" Atrill on a post from Facebook announced that "Paparazzi may not be here anymore as of next year".
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:02 AM

I can't imagine the owner doing anything other than running a nightclub/bar, at least locally. And who knows, he might want to open something else elsewhere in the downtown core.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

Word on the street is Paparazzi is facing issues in lease renewal in the next year. Possible no gay bars in Victoria on a year.

They've also been looking at selling the bar (maybe as a result of the lease issues?)

Either way, Victoria could do much, much better for gay bars than it currently is. The owners have had little to no incentive to improve that space since buying the then-Prism from Gary Penny and it's starting to show.

• Nparker likes this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users