Photo

Your Ideal New Downtown Projects

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#41 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

Nice condos replacing the Mazda, Chrysler and Mini dealerships. There should be an auto mall outside of downtown, maybe Rock Bay.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#42 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

Yes, that was one of the busiest gas stations in the city, even though you could only acess eastbound on Hillside or northbound on Cook. Or maybe you could make a suicide left off Hillside westbound, now I forget.

What the hell is all that forest behind the place? Is that all Cridge lands? It looks like a lot more than those orphans need. Is there any way a back entry for vehicles could be acheived? Maybe we could lobby for a near-zero setback building here.

The Cridge owns all those lands, and it's not an orphanage. It is a multi-use facility on several acres - daycare, transitional housing, seniors centre, the site for Elizabeth Buckley school, etc. I imagine they might not enjoy having their land expropriated from them...

#43 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

Check out this new split-personality building in New Westminster:
http://www.3citieslu.../2576438530.jpg

Brand new building, but they designed the lower section to look like a heritage building. It's a bit curious because if that building were legitimate it would actually be New Westminster's largest historic building... funny how Victoria scales its past down while other places scale their past up, but I digress...

We can talk about the mix of styles all day and how well/not well it comes together (I say not well), but I'm more interested in what y'all think of that lower section?

I like the lower section, especially that wing along the corner. In my opinion that's faux-heritage that works, partly because it doesn't contain any over-the-top frilly elements and partly because it isn't cheap stucco garbage.

Victoria could do with some of that.

#44 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

Meh - It is just Uptown crap build new or go home.

#45 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

from wikipedia

Just this one building...

Edited by admin: Please include the link to the page containing the image. http://upload.wikime...er_building.jpg

#46 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

Check out this new split-personality building in New Westminster:
http://www.3citieslu.../2576438530.jpg

(...)

We can talk about the mix of styles all day and how well/not well it comes together (I say not well), but I'm more interested in what y'all think of that lower section?

Agree, the lower section works well, but the modernist extrusion on top is incongruous. I like rennthefinn's example better (if it's what I think it is): modern tower has a similar classical look as the lower section. The New Westminster building does not have a classical tower on top, but a historically datable style (aka "the vanilla sauce of the late 20th/ early 21st century"). Now, you could argue that the rectilinear classical look is the early-ish 20th century's "vanilla," but it has withstood the test of time, and looks good mixed with "heritage." Not sure about that other example.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#47 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

^I agree with you on the incongruity. It looks like a shotgun marriage.

The Hudson is a better example of merging heritage with modern.
  • aastra likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#48 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

It seems to me that this is a time of great improvements for the City of Victoria. All the major blights are gone or going away- the pre-Atrium, lower Yates, the old Hudson/parking complex, lower Pandora, Centenial Square, the Monty's building, The Dougie, the Northern Junk area.. even those tulips in Bastion Square are starting to grow on me. I think we're a Janion and a 700 block of Johnson st. away from a very solid core. What do you guys think are the other spots that need attention?

#49 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

We've already started brainstorming:

http://vibrantvictor...read.php?t=4361

#50 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Other than filling in as many surface parking lots with new buildings, I think the Y building at Broughton and Quadra Sts. needs redeveloping.

#51 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

A new bus terminal, somewhere other than where it is now.

#52 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

^ Yeah that has kind of fallen off the radar. That was a huge discussion for many years around the city. I still think the lot across from the Times Colonist Building would be perfect as you can have a bus enter off Douglas and exit off Government.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#53 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:34 AM

Yeah I like that location. It's close enough to town but doesn't waste/congest a prime downtown lot.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:04 AM

Yes, it would be pointless to spend a fortune on Douglas St. transit and still have a depot in the south end of Downtown. Let's get that depot on the north end of Douglas across from the TC.

#55 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

Ya. I like that location as well. Perhaps it could spur some development and services in that area. I've always felt there are the makings of an interesting hood there, including the heritage buildings at the northwest corner of Bay and Douglas, and the southeast corner of Hillside and Douglas, with some creative in fill. And then put a roundabout back at Hillside and Douglas and presto, one of the coolest areas in town.

#56 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

...And then put a roundabout back at Hillside and Douglas and presto, one of the coolest areas in town.

That would be SO cool.

#57 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

I think I'm the only one that wants the bus depot to stay. (I would like to see a modern version though.) Keeping our transportation hubs downtown should be a priority.
And don't be thinking that available land where the current bus depot exists would mean an exciting development. Chances are more likely that the site will sit empty for a couple of decades, only to eventually be filled with a horrid, faux heritage, watered down version of something built in Europe somewhere. Oh and I foresee 3 stories max. But I think that's even optimistic.

#58 J Douglas

J Douglas
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

A big public market located on the underutilized waterfront around Ship Point, or on the post-industrial wastelands near Capital Iron would be a plus I think.

#59 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

Love to see this corner get a new life:

Replace the motel across the street with a proper downtown building, too.

#60 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

Yeh, it's a bit of an eyesore in its current form: http://goo.gl/maps/3IWLT

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users