• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

http://www.telusskins.com/

Time to talk about this I guess. Haven't heard anythig really since the first annoucement in July, and now its only 4.5 months away. This is a prety big deal, it is normally televised live and again on delay and gets a big audience in Canada on CTV/TSN, and does respectably on the US Golf channel too. Usually big stars, they time it to be right after the US Open, and make sure it is held on the same coast to make travel as easy as possible for the players (this year the Open is at Pebble Beach in California).

Tiger Woods?

I'd think they'd be nearing ready to announce names, and sell some tickets. Maybe after the Olympics.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:19 AM

Mike Weir was confirmed for the Skins Game, earlier this week. TSN would have liked to have played up the Len Barrie and other hockey players angle, now I presume they'll stay mum on the ownership.

Financial problems won't stop Grizzlies or World Skins Game

By Cleve Dheensaw, Times Colonist
March 26, 2010 2:07

Len Barrie's financial woes won't affect Victoria Grizzlies' play at Bear Mountain Arena when the B.C. Hockey League resumes regular-season games in the fall, says the team's business manager.

Barrie owns 51 per cent of the Grizzlies, but team officials said club operations will not be affected by yesterday's announcement that Bear Mountain Resort is going into creditor protection.

Barrie was CEO of the resort.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0jHgaFk0U

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:19 AM

Couples, Villegas join Skins Game

By Cleve Dheensaw, Times Colonist
March 30, 2010

There will be something old and something new joining something very Canadian when the 2010 Telus World Skins game is staged at the Bear Mountain golf course June 21-22.

Veteran Fred Couples, 1992 Masters champion and 1991 and 1992 PGA player of the year, and Camilo Villegas, one of the trendiest young golfers on the PGA Tour, will join the previously announced home-nation attraction Mike Weir in the TSN-televised event.

The final two golfers for the Skins Game will be announced next week.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0jfHPHFmB

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:21 PM

The Victoria organizers will be quite delighted if this keeps up:

After round #1, here is your MASTERS leaderboard standings of the five players coming here for the 2010 Skins Game at Bear Mountain:

Fred Couples #1
Ian Poulter #7
Mike Weir #22
Retief Goosen #50
Camilo Villegas #50

Full leaderboard: http://sports.yahoo....pga/leaderboard

Skins Game tickets go on sale this Monday, April 12th.

If you want a chance at early tickets, send me a message, I'll fire you back a pre-sale code to buy your tickets now.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

OK, this sucker is just around the corner. Thanks to my good friends at the Sticky Wicket, got a couple passes for both days.

Parking is at Western Speedway, but we are taking the Strathcona Hotel shuttle bus out both days. Should be fun.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

I just got back from day #1.

Wonderfully run. Considering this is the first time they have ever had anything approaching 5300 people up there at once, the line-ups were not too bad (washroom, beer, food).

We had to tramp around a bit climbing the mountainside with no designated trails, but it could have been worse.

The volunteers were plentiful and very useful.

They got 5300 off the mountain pretty quick at the end.

I stood beside Gordon Campbell at one hole, but was too stupid to find something to say to him to introduce myself. My buddy talked to him.

I saw a million people I knew, it's great to know that lots of people don't really need to go to work on a Monday.

I'll be there tomorrow.

Goosen $75,000
Weir 0
Poulter $15,000
Couples 0
Villegas 0

Awesome job by Telus too, lots of hospitality tents and free swag everywhere.

Reasonable beer, $6 range everywhere.

#7 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:50 PM

I just got back from day #1.

Wonderfully run. Considering this is the first time they have ever had anything approaching 5300 people up there at once, the line-ups were not too bad (washroom, beer, food).

And if you knew where all the washrooms were - no line ups

We had to tramp around a bit climbing the mountainside with no designated trails, but it could have been worse.

You weren't meant to climb through the bush, and we prefer you didn't. There are cutout trails and shortcuts as well as the cart paths and fairways to walk on.

The volunteers were plentiful and very useful.

Thank you.:D

They got 5300 off the mountain pretty quick at the end.

40 minutes to clear the mountain despite the complaints of some.

I stood beside Gordon Campbell at one hole, but was too stupid to find something to say to him to introduce myself. My buddy talked to him.

In the pro am in the AM he had the best chip shot on #5, much better than the pro. In the PM he was right next to me as well and I suggested they might want to use his chip shot again.

I saw a million people I knew, it's great to know that lots of people don't really need to go to work on a Monday.

Work??

I'll be there tomorrow.

Me to.

Goosen $75,000
Weir 0
Poulter $15,000
Couples 0
Villegas 0

Awesome job by Telus too, lots of hospitality tents and free swag everywhere.

And cell phone coverage everywhere, with about 14 extra cell towers working.

Reasonable beer, $6 range everywhere.

//
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

Poulter cracked up and had to step away from his second tee shot, muttering “Oh, dear” when someone in the gallery shouted at him to “bend it like Becker,” butchering the name of English soccer star David Beckham.

Canada is not known as a soccer country, but even Poulter found that comment hilariously inept.

http://www.montrealg...l#ixzz0rYgAIx3S

Victoria is the last place you'd expect to find anyone knowledgeable about things British, right?

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:58 AM

//

Thanks, LJ, didn't know you were up there. Ya, I know we were probably not supposed to tramp through the woods, but being the dumb humans we are, we looked for shortcuts wherever we could.

I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

There was one antenna truck way back in the woods, pretty awesome. There is no shortage of cell antennas right on top of the Westin Hotel too.

40 minutes to clear everybody is pretty darned good, no matter how many shuttles you might have. We took our own bus with about 20 passengers, and got the wave right through, and a great parking stall at the top.

I used to work at Western Speedway when I was a kid, I know there is only so many people you can get out of Millstream, even with the interchange that was not there when I was young.

Telus also gave the military lots of passes too, so there was probably 200 of them in uniform. I saw two RCMP total.

Len Barrie was there, with Greg Adams (Nelson), just watching like the rest of us.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

I had another amazing day at Bear today. Awesome.

LJ, I will be writing a letter to the the organizers and sponsors thanking them for such a good job.

Everybody I talked to thought it was just great.

#11 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

Len Barrie was there

I knew I recognized the guy working the hot dog cart....no Len, I don't need fries with that, you are confused with your other job at McDonalds

#12 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

I stood beside Gordon Campbell at one hole........

I'm surprised you didn't push him in! :D

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

This is Mike Weir on the closest-to-the-pin sudden-death final hole. Set against the beautiful backdrop of an unfinished and deserted parking garage.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

Yeah, that's the Highlander.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users