Photo

Victoria Harbour Authority Issues

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#201 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

I guess so.  I'd need to take a closer look, maybe they are not the best set-up for sitting.

I suppose I like the elevated seating that allows one to look over the people below out to the harbour - as little as there is to see at that level.

#202 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:17 AM

Summer visitors in the harbour.

IMG_9218.jpg

#203 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:39 AM

Harbour Evening

IMG_9459.jpg

• Kach and johnk like this

#204 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:49 AM

Harbour Air

IMG_9553.jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:17 AM

New tenants announced for the steamship terminal:

MEDIA RELEASE: HARBOUR AUTHORITY ANNOUNCES POTENTIAL NEW TENANTS FOR STEAMSHIP TERMINAL

VICTORIA – After thorough screening and evaluation of a number of strong expressions of interest, Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) is moving ahead on securing tenants for Levels 1 and 4 of the former CPR Steamship Terminal building on Victoria’s waterfront.

GVHA is pleased to announce that the following two applicants have been approached to develop full lease proposals:

·       Riverside Marine —  a newly created BC company, part of a leading marine operator in Australia with nearly 90 years of expertise in marine tourism, transportation and services with a proposal to operate a new marine transportation passenger service between downtown Victoria and Vancouver.

·       Ocean Networks Canada — an initiative of the University of Victoria that operates the world-leading NEPTUNE and VENUS cabled ocean observatories, with a proposal to operate a public outreach and visitor education centre.

“The Steamship Terminal is an icon of the Inner Harbour,” said GVHA CEO Ian Robertson. “We’re pleased to move forward on two strong and complementary proposals that will allow for the building to be fully tenanted and help to realize its potential as a regional hub for tourism, culture and economic development.”

If both lease proposals move forward, Riverside Marine would use Level 4 as an administrative office as well as part of Level 1 (“causeway level”) and the adjacent water lot for running their planned marine passenger service. Oceans Network Canada would occupy the remainder of the Level 1 space shared with Riverside Marine. Level 1 is approximately 6,000 square feet and Level 4 is 2,400 square feet.

“The interest generated in the Steamship Terminal highlights Victoria’s growing position as a leading centre of innovation,“ said City of Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps. “We’re pleased that the Harbour Authority is working with two new potential tenants—both world leaders in their respective fields of marine transportation and ocean research—in order to generate news jobs, expand tourism opportunities and enhance the public’s enjoyment of the city’s historic waterfront area.”

GVHA plans to accommodate and integrate both proposals with existing tenants at the Steamship Terminal pending a successful negotiation of mutually viable terms with all parties for lease agreements. GVHA will work closely with the two selected applicants in order develop lease proposals and conclude negotiations as quickly as possible.

In 2012, GVHA assumed the head lease of the Steamship Terminal from the Province of BC and has invested $2.7 million for renovations to revitalize the heritage building to date. A fully tenanted building is critical to allow GVHA to meet its ongoing head lease obligations with the Province, currently in excess of $400,000 annually.

Current tenants at the Steamship Terminal include Robert Bateman Centre, Steamship Grill and Bar and Starbucks.

About Greater Victoria Harbour Authority

Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) is a not-for-profit organization governed by a local Board of Directors. It owns and operates deep water, marina and upland holdings throughout Victoria’s harbour including the large vessel Ogden Point port facility where a dynamic cruise tourism industry contributes over $100 million annually to the regional economy; Victoria’s renowned Fisherman’s Wharf float home community and small business hub; and the Inner Harbour’s luxury yacht and marine tourism facility at Ship Point. GVHA’s vision is a harbour where people live, learn, work and play; a spectacular gateway into Victoria’s past and into its future, monumental in look and feel, linking communities and all people together. www.gvha.ca

• lanforod likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#206 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:50 AM

This made me wonder how the old wax figures are holding up in storage after that hot summer.

#207 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

Those are two great tenants if it pans out.

#208 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:59 PM

Victoria and Vancouver.

Very positive for weekend a get away between the two cities for people living in both cities, more so if they have late night sailing and as someone pointed out a bar.

2.5 hours would be nothing ... have a glass of wine, read a book and enjoy what ever views might be presented.

#209 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:52 PM

...2.5 hours would be nothing ...

That's less time than it takes now to drive d/t to d/t, with a whole lot less frustration.

#210 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

A working harbour,  with the old and the new

IMG_2698.jpg

• todd and Cassidy like this

#211 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:37 PM

Thank goodness this entrepreneur hasn't set up shop in Victoria.  I wonder what the authorities would have to say about this:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ouver-1.3483599

#212 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:00 PM

Thank goodness this entrepreneur hasn't set up shop in Victoria.  I wonder what the authorities would have to say about this:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ouver-1.3483599

And thank you for the business idea.

#213 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

^i love it! I would genuinely like to see that in vic

#214 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

On the Waterfront

IMG_6956.JPG

#215 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:04 AM

CLOUDBREAK

IMG_7490.JPG

#216 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:01 AM

SWELL 

Tugboat SWELL copy copy.jpg

Swell was purpose built for the Victoria Tug Company, incorporated by George McGregor and Capt. Dan McPherson in August 1912.

The Swell was their new, coal-fired steam tug. She was launched with an 18 horsepower steam engine.

She complimented the two tugs that Victoria Tug Company already had — the Sadie (b. 1982) and the Spray (b. 1907). 

More about this historic tug ; http://mapleleafadve...-tugboat-swell/

• todd and Cassidy like this

#217 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:01 AM

That's a grand looking ship.  At 18hp I'm surprised it even moved itself.

Is that in the harbour now, Bingo?

Yowza, their tours are expensive (relative to a cruise ship).  But different experience I guess.  With the Swell you go ashore to hunt the Great Bear Rainforest grizzlies, with a cruise ship I think you just have to shoot onto the shore with the skeet shotguns.  I think, I've never been on a cruise ship.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 December 2017 - 09:23 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#218 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

There’s a supply ship that does a limited passenger cruise up the north coast a ways. A friend of mine has done this tour a few times and absolutely loves it!

http://www.marinelinktours.com

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan and thundergun like this

#219 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:25 PM

That's a grand looking ship.  At 18hp I'm surprised it even moved itself.

Is that in the harbour now, Bingo?

The tug is still in the harbour, and now there is yet another catamaran nearby.

Village

IMG_8295.JPG

Edited by Bingo, 14 December 2017 - 09:26 PM.

#220 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

Dredging  Middle Harbour

http://hazmatmag.com...ontracting-inc/

IMG_8279.JPG

IMG_8299.JPG

IMG_8304.JPG

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users