Victoria hotel thread

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#161 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 05:07 PM

If you are a great worker, just go somewhere else where they will pay you better.

Unions are stupid, for the best workers.

#162 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 08:58 PM

/\ Dunno about that; IMO attitudes towards unions from the worker standpoint change over time especially as you age out toward retirement. Certainly been the case for me...

I was raised in a staunchly Tory household where no parent or grandparent ever worked in a union or voted anything other than conservative. My grandfather in fact was in the RCMP Security Service after the war and was engaged in undercover espionage against one particular radical, very marxist-oriented union in Vancouver. When I was younger, fresh out of university and focused on climbing the corporate ladder unions were far more political still trending towards the (very) far left in some cases. One union which I'm not going to name even went so far some years ago to include all sorts of anti-Israeli garbage buried deep in its constitution. You had to look hard on the website to find it, but some very obviously "hard Red" language was there until someone in the union actually publicly called them out on it. One day I went back to look for it and not coincidentally the offending language had been removed.

That was then however and this is now; after getting to the level of director in two non union very high profile environments and getting torpedoed both times - the higher you advance the bigger the bullseye on your back, after all - by the time I landed at my current position I was a Caucasian mid-50's male, not exactly a prime candidate for hiring managers by that time.

Fortunately I got my current gig which, due to the nature of the contract with the client, required membership in the BCGEU. I must say in a time when covid was wreaking havoc on global economies causing great uncertainly and stress and people were losing jobs left, right and center while the cost of living was (and is) spiralling out of control, I was/am very grateful for the fact I actually rode out the chaos of the last 3 years not only unscathed but actually very comfortably. Benefits and pension intact, great job security, flex days, very good vacation time off, bi-annual raises....life was and is good.

Combined with my wife's health plan I literally have platinum-level benefits, a good pension waiting when I call it quits, and unparalleled job security. I can't lose my job because, for example, senior C-level people retire or quit causing multiple chain reactions below them resulting in losing my position, which was one scenario I experienced at the director-level in the corporate world. Lots and lots of folks in the private sector can't claim to have all of that.

The union today also is a very different animal than during my time in my first director stint where I managed union staff. A complete 180 degree about-face in terms of attitudes especially in fact - I think due in no small part to old boomers retiring and taking certain outmoded and frankly unproductive even confrontational mind-sets with them (thankfully).

In that particular environment one union member was on the cusp of retirement after 37 years, having joined the BCG right out of high school in the early 70's, which was common especially in this town. I casually inquired what he was most proud of and what accomplishment he thought would be his legacy - his response: ".....I currently have six grievances filed with the union and HR...hahaha!". He thought that was just hilarious because he was driving HR literally up the wall. Fast forward to now and I see nothing like that, just very good folks doing their jobs and with a distinct absence of the old highly political and inflammatory "us vs them" mentality of yesteryear. 

That all said for a younger person just starting out with maybe an entrepreneurial bent, the education, requisite smarts and desire, certainly the $ rewards can be far greater in a non-union market environment, obviously, due to the possibilities of generally higher salaries, bonuses, stock options etc which are generally absent in the public sector. Hell my bonuses in financial services, paid quarterly, exceeded $40k annually after only 4.5 years. On top of my very generous salary. Prior to that stock options from a US Fortune 100 tech giant I worked for financed the purchase of my first condo.

So...yeah....definitely a different world but one as I found out where, in spite of financial possibilities, any combination of internal politics, conflicting personalities or economic factors beyond anyone's control can pooch a career in the corporate world faster than you can say your name. So as I approach retirement I am extremely grateful where I am, where I work and the collective environment in which I function. Others will have different views but I wouldn't call the environment stupid, quite the opposite in fact - depending on your circumstances, age and goals.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 24 April 2023 - 09:02 PM.

• Daveyboy likes this

#163 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 31 August 2023 - 07:09 AM

Gorge Road's Travelodge turned-COVID-era housing facility back to hotel operations as 'The Vic'

https://victoria.cit...ations-the-vic/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#164 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 11:55 AM

Some family stayed here when they came to visit, looked very nice! Probably affordable, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users