Photo

Bike lanes In Victoria

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
172 replies to this topic

#1 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:29 PM

IMO this obviously hasn't been well thought out. Speeds are now down to between 30K&40K causing increased pollution, driver frustration is climbing through the roof, and for what? A few bikers that use it during the summer months that largely don't respect the rules of the road to begin with?

People are getting mad.

JK

#2 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

I haven't noticed any difference

#3 Amy Grace

Amy Grace
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

I use those lanes almost daily from September to May (I'm out of town in the summer, so I don't use them then). I prefer roads with bikelanes because I don't have to constantly worry about getting sideswiped or run off the road. I am also a driver, so I definitely 'get' how irritating bikers who are totally unpredictable are. However, I'd be really mad if the lanes were taken out.

#4 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

Maybe because you are retired old fart who travels at 30K and P* off drivers to begin with? :lol:

JK

#5 simon

simon
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:04 PM

Those bike lanes are great. I haven't really noticed the difference when driving, but it is nice when on a bike.

I look forward to seeing them extended all the way down Fort to Foul Bay Rd. Fort from Oak Bay Junction to Foul Bay Rd. isn't a lot of fun as a daily bike commute.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:05 PM

re: jk
You think Ox's avatar is himself?
Do you think mine is too?

I support the bike lanes. The "traffic" is nothing.

#7 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:09 PM

Maybe because you are retired old fart who travels at 30K and P* off drivers to begin with? :lol:

JK

Actually I just stand on the side of the street and wave my walking cane at those people driving too fast. Young whipper snappers think they're all racecar drivers! Bah!

#8 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:11 PM

Some may support the bike lanes, but they are certainly not in the majority. The increase in pollution as a result of the dramatically slower speeds cannot be denied.

Tried turning left on Fort at a non-intersection lately? Ckeck out the Mom's trying to do so in their van full of kids hurrying them of to school as they are on their way to work.

The bike lane plan implimented on Fort is nothing less than catering to the extreme minority at the expense of the lifestyle of the majority.

JK

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:11 PM

My avatar is a self-portrait. I'm a part-time mambo instructor.

I'd sure like to see some stats to back up that claim, JLK.

Traffic on Fort seems relatively sparse. I've never seen a major backup and with less traffic lights and cross streets than most arteries traffic flows pretty smoothly.

As an experienced cyclist I don't feel they are necessary but I understand how they make other cyclists more confident. After all, cyclists like me pay taxes, too. Having a small section of road for cyclists shouldn't be a huge burden for drivers.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:14 PM

It adds maybe twenty seconds to the journey during rush hour. Big deal.
The point is that it's trying to encourage MORE bikers to commute - to reduce the majority of people that choose to drive.

#11 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:20 PM

My avatar is a self-portrait. I'm a part-time mambo instructor.

Traffic on Fort seems relatively sparse. I've never seen a major backup and with less traffic lights and cross streets than most arteries traffic flows pretty smoothly.

As an experienced cyclist I don't feel they are necessary but I understand how they make other cyclists more confident. After all, cyclists like me pay taxes, too. Having a small section of road for cyclists shouldn't be a huge burden for drivers.

1) I regularaly experience 3 light waits at the Richmond intersection heading into downtown at 7:30
2) Road costs are largely funded via gas taxes and other non-property related taxes - property taxes fund a very minor portion. Hello?
3) Cyclists are not required by police to obey the rules of the road.
4) Cyclists are not required to be licensed nor carry liability insurance to cover the costs WHEN they cause accidents
5) You are being naive in the extreme to suggest congestion along Fort has not increased dramatically.
6) Our elected municpal so called leaders had ZERO mandate from the voters to spent the hundred's of thousands of dollars they have to P* the majority off by restricting our mobility and increasing road danger.

Tuning in, yet, HW? The lunatics are running the funny farm.

JK

#12 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:23 PM

JLK: Why the hate for cyclists?

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:26 PM

I'm not naive, JLK, I just haven't noticed it. Maybe I'm not there during the right time of day. I'm just tellin' ya what I sees.

Planning a city based on who pays the most taxes is not terribly enlightened.

Cyclists are indeed required to obey the rules of the road. Rule breakers are ticketed regularly. Whether they should be licensed is another issue.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#14 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:28 PM

Ding! Ding!

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:29 PM

^I thought I saw you today.

It all comes down to this: There are all types of transportation that can go on a road. Pedestrians, cyclists, single-occupancy-vehicles, H.O.Vs, BRT, LRT, buses, trucks etc.

Traditionally, an awful lot of this valuable resource was dedicated to the users considered most harmful and innefficient--the single occupancy automobile.

#16 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:32 PM

JLK: Why the hate for cyclists?

I guess the best way to quote it is via a recent letter to the TC from a bus driver:

"99% of the cyclists give the rest of them a bad name".

JK

#17 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:33 PM

I'm not naive, JLK, I just haven't noticed it. Maybe I'm not there during the right time of day. I'm just tellin' ya what I sees.

Planning a city based on who pays the most taxes is not terribly enlightened.

Cyclists are indeed required to obey the rules of the road. Rule breakers are ticketed regularly. Whether they should be licensed is another issue.

Show me where the enforcement is. The *IS* none.

JK

#18 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:39 PM

[quote name='Oxford Sutherland'][quote name='JLK'][quote name='"Oxford Sutherland":637b6']I haven't noticed any difference[/quote]

JK[/quote]

Actually I just stand on the side of the street and wave my walking cane at those people driving too fast. Young whipper snappers think they're all racecar drivers! Bah![/quote:637b6]

:-D

#19 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:46 PM

"99% of the cyclists give the rest of them a bad name".

Yeah, I'd really like to see can-bike a required part of middle school, even though I'd like to hope it's a -- still despairing -- 25% who are bad (you don't notice the good ones, and I'm one of the dorks that waits behind all the cars at a light, not weaseling my way to the front only to have to be passed again).

Then again, in my mind "traffic congestion = more reason to take the bus and read a book". Heck, I'd like to see a $0.25 per litre tax on fuel, going directly to supporting free transit (try to put that on a ballot and get votes!). Most people need a wake-up call about how much their cars are convenient but not entirely necessary.

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:56 PM

If you live in Victoria/Oak Bay/Vic West/ Esquimalt/ Southern Saanich and you complain about traffic, you been living here too long.
If you live outside those boundaries and you complain about it, you should just accept traffic as you would death and taxes...or taxies if you've had a few too many.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users