Bike lanes In Victoria

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
172 replies to this topic

#21 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:58 PM

I'd say that about 25-35% of bike riders give us a bad name, but I also give that same percentage to automobile drivers. Idiots are idiots whether they are behind a wheel or a handlebar.

Actually a lot of intersections have those blocked off blue spaces for the cyclist to move right up to the front of the lane, it's where you should be as a cyclist so you're most visible and you enter the intersection safely.

I'm in total agreement of a huge gas tax or a modest increase in property taxes in exchange for free transit in the city. Currently transit is already subsidized by about 40% or so, why not pick up the rest? Surely in the long run it will cost us less than the cost involved in building more highways, overpasses, not to mention the harmful effects of car exhaust. As it stands now, the highways for vehicles are heavily subsidized by taxpayers.

Of course this is simplistic view, and there is a lot to work out, such as the effect it would have on the trucking sector, taxis, etc, etc. but something could be worked out, and we need to start taking bold steps instead of sticking with a system that is currently not working.

#22 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:22 PM

Idiots are idiots whether they are behind a wheel or a handlebar.

Haha, that is so true!

I think those blue painted areas are to remind drivers making a right turn to shoulder check for cyclists, I know I have seen some close calls at Blanshard and Finlayson.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#23 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:31 PM

Some (I'm not sure about all) of those blue spaces have an actual bicycle symbol on them, and cars are supposed to stay behind that line and bikes move up to the front and start on them. Two I know of for sure are on Wharf as you turn left onto the Johnson street bridge (by law bikes must ride in the middle of the lane over the bridge and thus must start first) and where Government meets Douglas.

#24 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:37 PM

The only one I've seen is the bike lane on Blanshard and Finlayson where the right hand turn area crosses the bike lane. This is where I've seen some close calls in the am rush.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#25 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:43 PM

As I don't own a vehicle (thus my bias), I've get around by riding a bike for the most part. In my 22 years of cycling here in Victoria I've only had about 2-3 close calls, in all cases the driver simply wasn't paying attention and nearly ran into me. I find if you follow the rules of the road as a cyclist you will have no problems, most drivers are very aware and respectful of cyclists (except for those that like to try and sneak across by doing a left turn in front of you, causing the cyclist to actually have to brake while going through an intersection!!)

#26 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:50 AM

I get pissed off at dumb drivers when I'm biking, and I get pissed off at dumb bicyclists when I'm driving. So true Zoomer, moron's are morons.
I have always had this theory that the way you drive reflects your personality. If you're selfish, you drive selfishly, if you're aggressive, you drive aggressively. And of course this would apply to people on bikes as well.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:16 AM

^interesting concept.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:57 AM

I am a big fan of bike lanes though I am not sure that the ones on Fort are any worse than others though it does seem that they are quite wide in comparison to other bike lanes I have seen.

I do not agree that the balance between the expense on cyclists is out of whack with the amount of riders though. I am sure if you add up all the money spent on road maintenance/ improvement over the last 10 years and then compare that to all the money on cycling infrastructure, the amount on car oriented roads would surpass the percentage of drivers by a long shot.

Also I think that this thread is in the wrong lane it needs to be moved to infrastructure

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#29 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:55 PM

I'd say that about 25-35% of bike riders give us a bad name, but I also give that same percentage to automobile drivers. Idiots are idiots whether they are behind a wheel or a handlebar.

Actually a lot of intersections have those blocked off blue spaces for the cyclist to move right up to the front of the lane, it's where you should be as a cyclist so you're most visible and you enter the intersection safely.

I'm in total agreement of a huge gas tax or a modest increase in property taxes in exchange for free transit in the city. Currently transit is already subsidized by about 40% or so, why not pick up the rest? Surely in the long run it will cost us less than the cost involved in building more highways, overpasses, not to mention the harmful effects of car exhaust. As it stands now, the highways for vehicles are heavily subsidized by taxpayers.

Of course this is simplistic view, and there is a lot to work out, such as the effect it would have on the trucking sector, taxis, etc, etc. but something could be worked out, and we need to start taking bold steps instead of sticking with a system that is currently not working.

Of course you are my fellow communist - for the simple reason you expect others to pay your way.

You types are a dime a dozen - carry on.

JK

Ps - FY

#30 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:58 PM

What's a dozezen?
EDIT: ^you got it now

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:03 PM

JLK, I'm confident in your ability to carry on a sensible debate, so please work on it.

Your view is welcome here but abrasiveness not so much.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:03 PM

If you live in Victoria/Oak Bay/Vic West/ Esquimalt/ Southern Saanich and you complain about traffic, you been living here too long.
If you live outside those boundaries and you complain about it, you should just accept traffic as you would death and taxes...or taxies if you've had a few too many.

Perfect example of the idiot F* attitude in this town that has no vision for the future.

Too GD funny. :lol: :lol:

#33 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:12 PM

Of course you are my fellow communist - for the simple reason you expect others to pay your way.

You types are a dime a dozen - carry on.

JK

Ps - FY

Sorry, but what does the "FY" refer to? I expect others to pay my way? Hmm..well, if motorists had to pay the real cost of operating a vehicle (all highway construction, maintenance costs, health care costs associated with accidents, not to mention from car pollution, etc, etc.) you my friend would be walking, not driving.

#34 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:14 PM

If you live in Victoria/Oak Bay/Vic West/ Esquimalt/ Southern Saanich and you complain about traffic, you been living here too long.
If you live outside those boundaries and you complain about it, you should just accept traffic as you would death and taxes...or taxies if you've had a few too many.

Perfect example of the idiot F* attitude in this town that has no vision for the future.

Too GD funny. :lol: :lol:

I believe you're confidence, Derf, is inaccurate.

Your vision, JLK, is to try and get and rise out of people. This only works with stupid people. How can I blame you for assuming that I am one of them when you clearly choose to hang around with stupid people on a daily basis.

#35 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

I think we all need to get back on terra-firma here, or at least that's what I suspect... if you know what I mean.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:36 PM

Everyone should read this--a well balanced (heh!) view of bike lanes, good and bad.

http://www.gvcc.bc.c...bikelanes.shtml
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#37 Betty

Betty
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:17 AM

I am torn on the bike lane debate myself. At times they do make you (a biker) feel safer but there are times when, like referenced in the article Holden posted, they just plain put you in harms way. Other times they give drivers a wierd sense of where you should be on the road. Bear with me as I tell you a little story...

I was at the intersection of Yates and Vancouver...as some of you know Yates has a bike lane...I was not in the bike lane (on the far right hand side of the road) as I was turning left onto Vancouver. A cabbie pulled up beside me and started hasseling me about not being in the bike lane. I politely told him that I was turning left, he continued to berate stupid bikers who don't use the bike lanes...I repeated, "but I'm turning left, I can't turn left in front of traffic from the right hand side of the road now can I"...long story short, light turns green and I go out to turn left only to have the cabbie very aggressively cut me off as he too turned left; much to the horror of his passangers.

Anyway, what's my point? Bike lanes don't slove the problem when there are just plain stupid people out there. The problem tends more to be the moronic individuals out there...whether they are on a bike or in a car...that feel they are some how above the other.

I just want to be able to share the road safely. Bikers and Drivers need to be better educated to see this happen.

Again, just my two cents worth.

#38 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

That's why more of the those blue sections at the intersecton are important. It helps to educated drivers that bikes have a right to be there.

#39 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:12 PM

Once, way, way back, I was talking to a taxi driver about the traffic in Victoria, how it can be so frustrating, expecially in the downtown area. WHat he replied with interested me.
He said, "Yeah, well, it can be bad, but it is only bad if you think of Victoria as a small town. If you think of Victoria as a larger town, it has the best traffic of them all."

Ever since then I've seen it through a different light.
Downtown is a freakin' nightmare for bikers, though.

Ben

#40 simon

simon
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

^That's not a bad way to look at it.

And, as you note, perception is relative. Personally I'd say that downtown is actually one of the better places for biking on busy streets due to the slow traffic. Compare to Shelbourne, Quadra or Fort which are not only tight, but also have rushing traffic.

This photo cracks me up. Has the engineer never ridden a bike?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users