Looking for thin New York Style Pizza

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

I just haven't quite found the taste and texture I like in and around Victoria. But with so many choices, I obviously have not tried them all. So, if any of you know of the place anywhere in the area where I can get that really good thin New York slice of pizza, I'd appreciate the heads up.

I just hate the thick doughy Ali Baba Pizza I see just about everywhere. I have settled for Romeo's, but that's not what I'm looking for.

The Irish Times got a nice write up in the Times-Colonist today. One of the menu items which I think is their best: the pizza and a pint special every Wednesday. They have the right idea about thin and tasty pizza, but their recipe is not quite that authentic taste which can't be put into words. It is very good though and I was pleasantly surprised.

Irish Times with the best pizza in town? Can it be? I can see why the reviewer missed it. You shouldn't.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

Fifth Street bar & Grill though they only have small ones.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

We need more beer and pizza places in this town, period. I think the only one, or perhaps one of only a couple, is the Brickyard beside the Odeon. And Brickyard's pizza leaves a lot to be desired :(

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:12 AM

Brickyard is expensive...

There's a nice beer a pizza place in fernwood, prices not bad and I enjoy the pizza! It's just in that little square by the belfry. Been getting a lot of business since the Dragon is closed while it gets yuppified (yeah, fernwood really needs an overpriced yuppie pub, big market there.)
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:32 AM

I always thought Brickyards slices were cheaper than most (obviously 99 cent places are in a different league). Pacific Rim's pizza is better than Brickyards and they charge $0.50 more. No biggie, but they don't sell beer!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:05 PM

If you are looking for a simular crust to New York style try Little Italy 2 for 1 on Fort near the Jubilee.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#7 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

I have tried Fifth Street's pizza, and that's defenitely not the correct taste and texture. It is good and baked in a brick oven -- but that's not it.

I have had the Brickyard's too. It's tasty, but not the genuine article either. Now I have to try the Little Italy. I have not been there.

Pacific Rim is very good too. I almost forgot about that one -- but their slices are like a designer pizza with lots of odd toppings and recipes rather than a traditional New York slice, but still a good slice for sure.

I'm looking for the regular, thin crust cheese pizza with tomato sauce and basil and maybe some garlic or olive oil. Anything with orange cheese is not my preference. If you've ever tasted it, you know what I mean. I just can't put it into words, it's a "you know it when you taste it" kind of thing.

#8 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:24 PM

For thin pizza's Hugo's has an awesome one...and I beleive it's thursdays they are only 5 dollars...

For the fast food of thin crusts pizza's I like Domino's thin crust pizza too...but it's cheaper quality toppings....

#9 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

I recently had a pizza at Il Terrazzo. Thin crust, good colour. I ordered the pizza margarita but made sure they were indeed using fresh basil. Besides the use of chopped unripe tomatoes and the fact it could have used a drizzle of quality olive oil and some good sea salt, it wasn't that bad. The crispy crust was damn fine.
Now that there is word of a wood fired pizza joint going in in the Cook St. Village, let us all take a moment and pray that this will take us all to the next level of pizzas in this town.

#10 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

Il Posto's in Cook St Village behind Starbucks sometimes serves very simply very thin crust pizza with only a couple of ingredients on top I think. I've never tried NY style but people who have get excited about this one. But I don't think they always have it.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:07 AM

Both above suggestions are great examples of Italian thin crust which is a completely different entity from New York thin crust pizza. I don't think it exists in Vic.

#12 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:32 AM

Is a New York pizza crust distinctive because many of the ovens are fueled by coal fire?

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:45 AM

According to Wiki

New York Pizza is:

New York-style pizza is a common style of pizza, originating from New York City. This style is identified by its wide, thin, and foldable slices. The traditional toppings are tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. It is traditionally hand-tossed and light on sauce. The slices are often eaten folded in half, as its size and flexibility sometimes makes it unwieldy to eat by hand.

and common Italian pizza

Lazio style: Pizza in Lazio (Rome), as well as in many other parts of Italy is available in 2 different "flavors": 1) In take-away shops so-called "Pizza Rustica" or "Pizza a Taglio". Pizza is cooked in long, rectangular baking pans and relatively thick (1-2 cm). The crust similar to that of an English muffin and mostly cooked in an electric oven. When purchased, it is usually cut with scissors or knife and priced by weight. 2) In Pizza Restaurants (Pizzerias) it is served in a dish in its traditional round shape. It features a thin crust similar to the Neapolitan style. It is mostly cooked in a wood-fired oven which gives pizza its unique flavor and texture. In Rome a "Pizza Napoletana" is topped with tomato, mozzarella, anchovies and oil (thus, what in Naples is called "Pizza Romana", in Rome is called "Pizza Napoletana").

#14 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:08 AM

Also from Wikpedia - and very revealing

...its thin and crispy hand-tossed crust, made from a high-gluten bread flour. The flavor of the crust has sometimes been attributed to the minerals present in the New York city tap water used to make the dough. It is said that some out-of-state pizza makers even transport the water cross-country for the sake of authenticity.

#15 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

There is a slight yeast flavour to the crust too. I don't think the taste has to do with the wood fire ovens because it's not a smoky taste.

The pizza I tried in Italy has a sauce that tastes completely different. Getting the sauce right is a big piece of the puzzle. I can always taste the tomato paste type sauces they are using at most of the slice places downtown. It's good pizza, just not the right taste.

I hate to say it but my favorite pizza in the area is the slice you can get at Costco. How can it be that all these great places around town have yet to master the pizza slice?

I'm pretty sure the mistake being made by many of our restaurants is insufficient kneading of the dough to properly bind all the gluten and make the dough stretchy and thin:

http://slice.serious...ugh-videos.html

#16 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

I think the secret is less sauce and more herbs, imo. A pizza starts to taste like a real pizza when you can actually taste some basil and oregano. Fresh ingredients of course.

I used to manage a Pizza Hut in Ontario and worked for Pepsi Co. for 5 years. I've sampled and tried many "commercial" pizzas under the sun. To this day I still claim I make the best pizza, of course who doesn't, and only by using fresh ingredients and a pizza stone in my oven at 425.

Rorschach is correct though. Kneading the dough properly is very important. Air pockets are good in dough.

I have to admit I've never had a slice from Costco. But you aren't the first to suggest that they are good.

For "commercial" pizza in the Victoria area I find Ali Baba #1 if you like a thick "pan" style pizza similar to but not as greasy as Pizza Hut.

Sooke has actually has an amazing pizza joint, again, similar to a thick greasy crust, but quite tasty at Pizzability. I was very surprised and impressed by their local pizza and fresh ingredients.

5th street makes a good thin crust as does Canoe.

Pizza Margarita is probably one of my fav's there.

As for dislike, and I might shoot myself in the foot here, and I know it's cheap pizza, but Dominos has to be the worse pizza imo, closely followed buy Little Ceasars, although more tasty.

Pizza Pizza chain in Ontario is probably the best "cheap" pizza around I find. Although I'm not one to dip my crust, they have an amazing garlic dip that is fantastic.

#17 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:59 AM

Village's Pizza has a thin crust option, which I've never tried, but it might be what you're after.

#18 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:12 AM

Village's Pizza's product, service, and delivery have tanked in recent years. We moved our elementary school pizza day service from them after a very disappointing, unprofessional year.

For Pizza in Great Volume with outstanding customer service, try Hothouse instead.

I really appreciate vandervalk's comments - I've never made a satisfactory pizza at home. The crust never sets up the way I like and the toppings all slide off. Fifth Street makes my favourite pizza for grownups.

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:39 AM

I agree hothouse is great for your basic pizza.

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:14 AM

Has anybody tried the breakfast pizza at the ferry terminal? They use hollandaise instead of pizza sauce. Eff me it's tasty in a fast foodish, fill your boots, sort of way.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users