Photo

Ogden Point

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:18 AM

I know a lot of people here think this vital gateway to Victoria is underdeveloped, and it seems that the Harbour Authority are having an open house on Thursday. It might be interesting to see this 'master plan' they are working on, or if there even is one yet.

http://gvha.v3.ca/og..._masterplan.php

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:20 AM

A "functional landmark" sounds promising.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:26 AM

I know a lot of people here think this vital gateway to Victoria is underdeveloped, and it seems that the Harbour Authority are having an open house on Thursday. It might be interesting to see this 'master plan' they are working on, or if there even is one yet.

http://gvha.v3.ca/og..._masterplan.php

Development at Ogden Point will be financially successful and serve as an economic development engine for GVHA, the Esquimalt and Songhees Nations, and the region.

What stake do Esquimalt and Songhees Nations have in Ogden Point?

#4 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

Someone's gotta do the inevitable totem poles, spirit square, and native art for what ever new facility goes in there.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:54 AM

Don't we have about three of these Ogden Point threads already?

#6 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

What stake do Esquimalt and Songhees Nations have in Ogden Point?

They are represented on the GVHA Board of Directors. Why? Because initially the GVHA was going to manage the entire inner and outer harbours, which would have included shoreline in First Nations territory. Since it was established, their mandate has shrunk (shrunken?) to being the property managers/landlord for 3 or 4 parcels of land around the harbour.
Pieta VanDyke

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

They are represented on the GVHA Board of Directors. Why? Because initially the GVHA was going to manage the entire inner and outer harbours, which would have included shoreline in First Nations territory. Since it was established, their mandate has shrunk (shrunken?) to being the property managers/landlord for 3 or 4 parcels of land around the harbour.

Does that mean that Ogden Point must be an "economic development engine for GVHA, the Esquimalt and Songhees Nations"?

What I'm saying is, is there somewhere it is mandated that Odgen Point revenue go to the Esquimalt and Songhees Nations?

#8 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:02 PM

Don't we have about three of these Ogden Point threads already?

Hmm, I did a quick search and didn't see anything. I apologize for the repeat. I wasn't sure which forum to post, so hopefully a mod can move/merge it where appropriate.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:30 AM

Have your say on Ogden Point plans

Development of high-profile site to be discussed at open house

By Carla Wilson, Times Colonist
March 4, 2010 2:07 AM

Everyone's invited to have their say about the future of Ogden Point at the first open house today to lay out a 20-year plan for the historic and high-profile site.

The open house at Pier B in the Customs Building at Ogden Point runs from

5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Consultants and senior officials from the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority will be on hand to answer questions.

[...]

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

When I last talked with someone from the GVHA the impression I got was they liked the present situation just fine. I'm not expecting any radical ideas to come out of this.

Here's
the other thread.

#11 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:20 PM

Ah crap, I missed this. Too bad, as this is right in my neighbourhood, and I would very much like to see them do something else with O.P. Although, as Rob noted I believe that the current administration of the GVHA, board too probably, are happy with the status quo. The current CEO is an operations kind of guy, and has stated he wants to continue to just run it as a port, rather than a destination, tourist attraction, etc.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

Victoria's working port in action. Cfax1070:

If you're a ship spotter, you'll want to be at Ogden Point Tuesday between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Two vessels will be in port tomorrow creating a great photo op.

One of the vessels Brattingborg V6005 is part of a German fleet of cargo ships that delivers rail cars, locomotives, gas turbines, and it will be at Victoria port tomorrow to offload two large yachts.

The other is a cargo chip, the MV Lillian that will undergo a cargo inspection prior to heading to Vancouver to load bulk cargo.

MORE: http://www.cfax1070....t-in-action-(1)

10676186_915616068458066_466986799502678

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

No Smoking

IMG_6377.jpg

Oh Lillian... you're a beaut!

IMG_6396.jpg

IMG_6402.jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

Nice. Thanks!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

On the radio today, the HA rep said some of these (fiberglass pleasure) boats are just re-positioning, from sunny climes to here, they are not all new boats.  Those two look awful small (costly)  to move around the world, no?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

On the radio today, the HA rep said some of these (fiberglass pleasure) boats are just re-positioning, from sunny climes to here, they are not all new boats.  Those two look awful small (costly)  to move around the world, no?

Just noticed that the pitch on the two propellers on that boat being launched seem to be going in opposite directions.

I think I know why, but does anyone else know?

btw...this is post # 6000 

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:30 PM

Because they turn in opposite directions?  

• sebberry likes this

#18 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

Because two engines with props going the same direction are a pain-in-the-stern to steer.

#19 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

Helps keep the boat straight when not steering. Do twin prop boats even have a rudder, or do they just spin one side faster than another to turn?

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:55 PM

Because two engines with props going the same direction are a pain-in-the-stern to steer.

Seems to me that would be correct.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users