Photo

Prior Lake questions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 2nd_Bridger

2nd_Bridger
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

We are from out of town, so we would appreciate some help from those in the know:

When is this lake swimable? I scouted out the lake last summer for my wife and I, but wasn't impressed. It seemed the lake had just undergone a huge algae bloom. Also, it was at the end of a long heatwave, so the location was VERY busy. I am assuming the heatwave and algae bloom were related events, which is why I am hoping to give this location a second chance. I am also guessing that due to the small size of the lake, that the water warms up much earlier than say the rivers that I used to swimming in when temperatures really start to soar later in the year.

So I guess my questions are:

Is this lake usually a green soup? Or, at what time of year does it change?

How early in the year can you expect to swim for 10 minutes at a time without shivering one's butt off?

Does the beach get any sun at this time of year? At what times of the day?

If the beach part doesn't get any sun, does the dock get any sun at some time of the day? When?

...thanks in advance for your responses.

#2 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

The only thing I know about it is there is no beach, just a dock.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

There are far better lakes for swimming. Check out Thetis Lake in View Royal (stick to the right when you get to the beach from the main parking lot and follow the trail) where you can find a quiet spot all to yourselves.

It's a large lake so you won't feel cramped even if its really busy which it won't be until summer break or hot weekends leading up to summer break. Water temps won't start to rise much until late spring, though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

Isn't Prior for nudists?

#5 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

Prior lake is a nudist lake and if you don't mind lying on the dock like sardines, six inches from some fat guy and a bunch of weirdos its awesome. Durrance lake is what I would recommend. The earliest that I have gone swimming in local lakes is the end of march but more realistic is the end of May after a week or so of sunshine and little or no wind. If you don't mind a hike (+/- 2 h.) then Peden Lk or Sheilds lk is very nice.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:36 PM

I am not going to recommend where I go because than all of you would go. Durrance and Thetis are both WAY too overcrowded now.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:14 PM

I swim in the reservoir atop Mt. Tolmie. It's dark, but it's covered, and the water is very clean. Clean enough to drink.

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

Damn, that's why my tap water tastes like Aqua Velva.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 2nd_Bridger

2nd_Bridger
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:03 AM

The only thing I know about it is there is no beach, just a dock.

I thought I remembered seeing a tiny beach on either side of the dock... ie space for about 6 people. I have no idea what the "beach" was like since there was about 10 people cramped on it (and another 30 on the dock!). Since I looking for a spring/early summer swim locale, I assumed this beach might be available.

#10 2nd_Bridger

2nd_Bridger
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:15 AM

There are far better lakes for swimming. Check out Thetis Lake in View Royal (stick to the right when you get to the beach from the main parking lot and follow the trail) where you can find a quiet spot all to yourselves.

It's a large lake so you won't feel cramped even if its really busy which it won't be until summer break or hot weekends leading up to summer break. Water temps won't start to rise much until late spring, though.

I agree, there are much better spots to swim. My wife and I try to stay on the right side of the law when we go swimming au natural. In the meat of the summer the hubs will be locked in and nobody will find us, and consequently offensive to no-one... but for the shoulder months, it is too cold up in them hills!

Being small and at a lower elevation, I was hoping Prior could be a worthwile option when things were quiet.

#11 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:26 AM

If you are going to Prior, you might as well just go to Upper Thetis (beautiful lake, less crowds than Lower Thetis). Pull into the parking area just before the Prior Lake turnouts, and follow the wide trail west for about 15 minutes and turn right when you reach the water. There are a lot of good outcroppings, rocks and bays along Upper Thetis. I've also noticed people are starting to treat this area as clothing-optional too... if that's what you're into!

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

Clean enough to drink.

Well it was...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#13 2nd_Bridger

2nd_Bridger
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

If you are going to Prior, you might as well just go to Upper Thetis (beautiful lake, less crowds than Lower Thetis). Pull into the parking area just before the Prior Lake turnouts, and follow the wide trail west for about 15 minutes and turn right when you reach the water. There are a lot of good outcroppings, rocks and bays along Upper Thetis. I've also noticed people are starting to treat this area as clothing-optional too... if that's what you're into!

Skulking amongst the outcroppings, rocks and bays... sounds nice eh? I guess that is why I tolerate the being "six inches from some fat guy and a bunch of weirdos". At least I don't feel like a criminal.

Perhaps I should change my requirement to swimming locales that recieve a decent amount of sun during the day. Dips into colder water is more tolerable when there is a sunny beach to drag onself out onto... even if it is only 15 degrees outside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users