Save Haro Woods initiative against sewage treatment site

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

If there has ever been a good time for both the feds and the province to save $300M each with the stroke of a pen, now is the time.

Just say that in light of today's economic times, you have to evaluate each sewage proposal on its own merits, and commit money to the most urgent now, and scale back implementation of the others to a more gradual timeline.

#42 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

What do you propose instead given that the CRD has to have sewage treatment in place by 2016? The CRD, which is answerable to the provincial government, must deal with it. If it does not, the province could remove the whole CRD board and administer things directly. It could also fine the CRD for everyday until sewage treatment is in place.

Also, this money will not take a penny for healthcare, seniors or transit. It will mean we have to pay more in taxes.

People had ample time to elect councils that would not take part in sewage treatment, but people did not choose to do so.

There is a minority that have argued that it is not needed, but they have not been persuasive and lost the battle years ago.

People may say we do not need it, but just to the south of us they not only do not allow what the CRD is doing, they have required boats not to dump their waste. I see no one complaining BC Ferries is no longer dump raw sewage.

There is a lot of s@@t in Gordon Head, it has to be processed somewhere, if not Haro Woods, where else instead?

Calling all haro woods supporters

join in the rally for a referendum on wednesday, march 17th at 2 pm on
steps of the leg take action now!

It has been suggested that taxpayers are entitled to vote on how their money is being spent.

If this project goes ahead there will be $0.00 available for health care, seniors, transit, housing or upgrades to infrastructure for the next 15 yrs

this co$tly deci$ion will affect every community.

Make up your own sign and show up on wednesday. Make your voice count -it's not to late. Lets send a loud and clear message to minister penner taxpayers are entitled to have a say in what will affect our families for decades to come.

See you there!

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

Residents oppose sewage treatment site near UVic; rally set for Wednesday
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=2108

A stretch of green space bordering the University of Victoria has been identified as a future site of a sewage treatment facility by the Capital Regional District’s sewage treatment plan. But according to nearby residents, Haro Woods, which covers an expanse nearly one kilometer in length between Cedar Hill Cross Road and Sinclair Road in Saanich, is no place for sewage treatment.

A website has been setup by residents who are advocating for the transformation of Haro Woods from a parcel of land with future development potential to a public park. SaveHaroWoods.ca, operated by Deborah Dickson, claims that a sewage treatment plant is not the most prudent use of the land and in the event of a spill at the treatment facility, wildlife and a nearby children’s hospital could be affected. “If there was to be a raw sewage spill, say like the one that just happened in Halifax or say, what happened in Hamilton – you would see that not only is the land at risk, but the marine environment that includes the JPod Orcas. Consider a major sewage spill dumping through the children’s hospital 100 meters from the proposed site,” Dickson wrote on VibrantVictoria.ca’s discussion forum. [...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

^ I propose the provincial government can save $300M by delaying it beyond 2016, and we can continue on with the way we have been doing it for 50 years with no adverse effects.

There is a minority that have argued that it is not needed, but they have not been persuasive and lost the battle years ago.

A strong majority of scientists and health officials say it is not necessary, with the way we have it set up.

Given a vote, like we had years ago, we'd also vote for the status quo.

#45 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

Also, this money will not take a penny for healthcare, seniors or transit. It will mean we have to pay more in taxes.

People may say we do not need it, but just to the south of us they not only do not allow what the CRD is doing, they have required boats not to dump their waste. I see no one complaining BC Ferries is no longer dump raw sewage.

There is a lot of s@@t in Gordon Head, it has to be processed somewhere, if not Haro Woods, where else instead?

A ban on dumping sewage from boats has been in place for many years. Sewage from boats is different than what Victoria pumps into the straight. Between our first class source control program in place and the current screening and dilution its not comparable to boats.

I think this fight is just ramping up, people are becoming more and more vocal about this. I find it quite interesting to see so many camps involved coming at this from different angles. We've got the Save Haro Woods group, we've got scientists and Medical Health Officers, we've got concerned taxpayers all aruguing against this for 1 reason or another.

Personally, I'm against this. I think a Billion $'s can be put to far better use to protect our environment (land and sea) and health than this. What we need to fix is the sewers tied into the storm system, that alone would solve a variety of issues and the cost isn't even close to whats being thrown about.

#46 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:02 AM

The decision to treat has been mandated by the province, how do you propose the CRD deal with that fact?

Neither the government nor the opposition have made any noises that they are willing to alter the decision.

Agreement or disagreement with the need for sewage treatment is no longer relevant, the issue is how and where.

If anyone wants to save Haro Woods, they need to indicate a better location for sewage treatment. If the argument is not made, there is less than zero hope of protecting the area.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:18 AM

The decision to treat has been mandated by the province, how do you propose the CRD deal with that fact?

Phone them up and convince them that they can save $300M, at a time when they need to save all the money they can. And remind them that no one will really mind if they delay the project, excpet a few environmental nut-jobs.

Neither the government nor the opposition have made any noises that they are willing to alter the decision.

Agreement or disagreement with the need for sewage treatment is no longer relevant, the issue is how and where.

Arguably the most prominent local politician, Keith Martin, is part of the group that says we don't need to do this. So is David Anderson. Not just of the same belief, but part of the organized group against.

It's very tough for the oppoostion political parties to oppose this, because the optics, when not fully understood, do not look good to oppose sewage treatment. When understood, like the vast majorty of the scientists and health officials understand, it makes no sense to do it.

And Bernard, who are you to say that "Agreement or disagreement with the need for sewage treatment is no longer relevant"? You sound like Al Gore and company, saying the time to debate global warming is over. It's not.

#48 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

Its not just the Province in 2016, it's a Federal mandated in 2020 as well. There is alot of pressure on the Province government from Washington state, and teh Feds from the other Washington to do this. I think the chance that either will back off is near zero. I'm with Bernard, the SaveHaroWoods.ca people's only chance is to convince the CRD that their is a better location. Trying to fight the sewage plants altogether is the wrong fight as its one they cannot possibly win.

#49 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:43 AM

Unless someone changes the mind of the government, sewage treatment has to happen. The NDP will crucify the Liberals if they back down on this.

As who is in favour and who is not, there are very clear and strong arguments in favour and there are arguments opposed. The government has made a decision based on the information they had, unless the people opposed change their mind sewage treatment goes ahead.

The CRD has a requirement to go forward with sewage treatment. The CRD has six years left to build sewage treatment. Arguments at the local or CRD level are now irrelevant because there is no way the CRD can change what they have to do.

The Haro Woods campaign has to operate within the reality of sewage treatment being built. Pretending that the CRD can make a decision not to treat is only a clear path to failure. The only option people have is to give the CRD another location to site the plant.

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

^ Agree with Bernard. I can hardly wait till Victoria enters the 20th century.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

As who is in favour and who is not, there are very clear and strong arguments in favour and there are arguments opposed.

I love your slant there.

I'll put it this way:

As who is in favour and who is not, there are very clear and strong arguments against and there are arguments in favour.

Let's compare our lists, if you want, Bernard.

#52 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

I love your slant there.

I'll put it this way:

As who is in favour and who is not, there are very clear and strong arguments against and there are arguments in favour.

Let's compare our lists, if you want, Bernard.

You are missing my point, the time for debate on this locally is over. I have better things to do than beat my head against a wall that is not going to make difference. The people opposed had a chance to make a difference, but could not convince government. It is not my job now to justify or not the decision of government.

Is there compelling data from fisheries out there for the need? Yes. Am I going to collate it? No. I am ambivalent about the issue, it is not a big deal for me one way or the other.

If people opposed want to lobby government, more power to them, but to go back to my core point. There is no relevancy at the local level to talking for or against sewage treatment.

Once again, reading the Save Haro Woods website, people are confusing how to go about this. The CRD can only deal with siting of the plant.

#53 Firefly

Firefly

Save Haro Woods

• 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

The People are gathering for a Rally to Save Haro Woods. On Saturday, March 27at ll am[/B. Supporters will be gathering near Frank Hobbs School - just off of Arbutus Road. There is lots of parking and a spot for bikes too. Turn off of Arbutus Road onto Haro Road at the Hospital for Children. Watch for the Green Balloons

Saving the environment for the future is a Family affair - join us in our [B]Earth Day
celebrations. Get creative with your message! Bring your signs and bring your friends. This is an opportunity for us to speak up for the Habitat and Birds that made Haro Woods their home.

The walk will start at Haro Woods go down MacKenzie to Shellbourne - wrap up about 1:30 fyi ... for those who may need a ride back, there is plenty of parking in the area

#54 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:47 PM

Delaying the construction of the plant on the local level adds time to fight the "need" for the plant on the provincial level, I think it's a valid strategy.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

Delaying the construction of the plant on the local level adds time to fight the "need" for the plant on the provincial level, I think it's a valid strategy.

I agree. Every day they fight the plant, another bunny breeds near UVic.

#56 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

Saving the environment for the future is a Family affair - join us in our [B]Earth Day celebrations.

Ummmm, isn't that what the sewage treatment plant is supposed to do?

Or are you just in favour of your kind of green?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#57 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

Ummmm, isn't that what the sewage treatment plant is supposed to do?

Or are you just in favour of your kind of green?

:D

#58 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:17 AM

It really appears that these people are pandering to pretty much any cause they can come up with in order to protect their property values.

#59 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:23 PM

A new shade of paint: Nimby Green

#60 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

It really appears that these people are pandering to pretty much any cause they can come up with in order to protect their property values.

If you read FireFly's original call to arms, he pleads with us to realize: "Did you know that it is home to hundreds of Deer, and many University Rabbits."

I'll bet that every last resident has at one time or another cursed the very rabbits which they now feel are the helpless and rightful denizens of Haro Woods. I love the irony: save a forest so that an invasive species may thrive in it. :rolleyes:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users