Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Juliet condo | 44m | 14-storeys | Built - completed in Oct 2008

• Please log in to reply
556 replies to this topic

#481 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

A hot tub was originally planned but I think that was axed quite a while back, wasn't it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#482 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:06 AM

^Yes. The prospective buyers thought it wasn't a good feature. It's been replaced by an outdoor "theatre".

#483 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:05 PM

^Not just an outdoor theatre, a rooftop outdoor theatre. I can just imagine the lineups in January.

#484 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:19 PM

I bet the first showing will be "Gone With The Wind".

#485 Pask

Pask
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

We finally moved in. What a view, plus we had our first fire alarm when the elevators overheated and have been out of commission for most of the day. It is still a major construction zone here though.

#486 Pask

Pask
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

Just two or three sets of pictures should be fine. No need to go overboard for our sakes.

It is starting to come together.

#487 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

^wow, looks good!

The people on the top floor must have an even nicer view.

I bet the first showing will be "Gone With The Wind".

I was thinking "The Big Chill".

#488 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

Hey, good for you Pask. Looks great.

The rooftop outdoor theatre will be shut down soon, it violates copyright laws if the film is not properly acquired. Trust me, it costs almost $100 per film to show anything past about 1960, they will kill it if the proper fees are not paid.

#489 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:45 AM

Wow. So that is what homes for grownups look like. Very nice, inside and out.

#490 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:42 AM

Hey, good for you Pask. Looks great.

The rooftop outdoor theatre will be shut down soon, it violates copyright laws if the film is not properly acquired. Trust me, it costs almost $100 per film to show anything past about 1960, they will kill it if the proper fees are not paid.

I think it is more like a bring your own DVD theatre and is not a scheduled performance space. I would expect the strata to have a sign-up sheet by unit so it would be no different than watching a movie you paid for in your own living room.

#491 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

^Except it's not your living room, it's the building's Limited Common Property so technically would require copyright clearance, just like a classroom or church hall would.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#492 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:03 AM

I am not sure if Strata Common property would fall under the same definition as a community hall as it would be limited to owners.

Plus I am not sure how they would ever find out that people were showing anything beyond home movies unless an owner complained to the CRTC or someone from a low flying plane or someone in another 14 storey building nearby could see that it was a copywritten film.

#493 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:12 AM

Home use means "home use". If it's not in your living room you need a license. A building's LCP is no different than a vacant lot, warehouse, office boardroom, kindergarten classroom etc. VHF and I know of what we speak.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#494 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:36 AM

Well then it will come down to someone complaining which I don't see happening and I don't see anyway to prove a presentation occurred.

#495 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

Well, yeah, that's pretty much how it works. However, remember when the Garlic Rose on Wharf Street got nailed for copyright violation for playing music in their restaurant. Their $52,000 bill was settled out of court.

#496 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

So you're saying they could shut down the rooftop TV simply because it might be used to violate copyright? Should we also close all roads because they might be used for speeding or drunk driving?

That's a sweet apartment there, Pask. Here's hoping the office block in the bottom left of this picture gets replaced by something a heck of a lot better in the future:

#497 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:09 PM

So you're saying they could shut down the rooftop TV simply because it might be used to violate copyright? Should we also close all roads because they might be used for speeding or drunk driving?

No, they can fine you and even subject you to criminal charges if they have good grounds to find out you have played a film under copyright. There is a Canadian distributor that handles 97% of all the royalties on all the big studio films. I've done business with them. They know what they are doing and they have very strict rules. The only groups they cut slack to are educational or charity uses.

http://www.acf-film....ex.php?profil=f

#498 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

This is what I'm saying. So the TV-on-the-roof can't really be shut down simply for being what it is. Or can it?

#499 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

Anyway, a lot of large condo buildings have theatre rooms these days. The only difference with the Juliet is that the theatre is outdoors.

#500 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

maybe its time to move this project to the completed category

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users