Photo

Tofino to ban all franchises

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:27 AM

OK, I'm willing to learn. Suppose 85% of downtown Tofino businesses and land owners want a ban on fast food restaurants in town limits. How do they go about achieving this via covenants? Because, quite frankly, I can't see how they can do it w/o unanimous support. So again we are left with the situation where one landowner uses their land to the detriment and against the wishes of the rest of the community.

One of the wonderful things about Canadians is that you recognize, by and large, that being in a majority doesn't entitle you to trample the rights of the minority. That is to say, you know that sometimes the desires of 85% of the community don't mean diddly. You still don't get to steal. So, as it stands, in Tofino certain property owners purchased their properties attached with the right to operate fast food establishments. If any number of people, whether 1% or 99.9%, want to take that right away, they must organize and negotiate an agreement with those property owners. Without question, it may be a complicated and lengthy process, but Canadians don't use that as justification for violating people's rights.

The same sort of thing applies to doing things that are 'detrimental'. It is the nature of our existence that our actions will sometimes have adverse consequences for others. It does not follow that those actions should therefore be forbidden, or that compensation is due, because they are the result of the natural competition for resources that all living things are subject to. If someone builds a modern factory in one town that results in the closing of a factory in another town, there is an adverse consequence, but no rights have been violated. So, it may well be that fast food restaurants would have a detrimental effect on Tofino, but no one knows for sure, not even the civic-minded angels in office. As far as I can tell, there is no moral option other than respecting rights and leaving the market to pick the winners and losers.

#22 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 12:59 PM

Here is a 22-paragraph article about a guy that did something on social media.

No other inputs.

A bungled romantic gesture which saw a man light a heart-shaped line of fire on what is believed to be Chesterman Beach has outraged Tofino residents, who are wary of danger during peak fire season.

A video distributed on social media sites shows a couple embracing while standing in the midst of a heart-shaped line of flames in the sand at dusk.

https://www.timescol...sidents-7382858

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 August 2023 - 12:59 PM.

#23 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 11:38 AM

Interesting topic.

Tofino is getting a Browns Social House. Currently looking for senior management.
  • todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#24 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 12:11 PM

No chains!

#25 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 August 2023 - 12:12 PM

I mean, they started their own chain... Tacofino.

• Matt R. likes this

#26 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 12:21 PM

I think the ban was on places that did not significantly modify or create onsite. Others more sophisticated would be allowed.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 12:24 PM

Looks like it’ll open at McKenzie Beach, so outside of the town centre.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 12:29 PM

Interesting topic.

Tofino is getting a Browns Social House. Currently looking for senior management.

Wasn't the restaurant that burned down owned by Brown's already?  It was owned by some chain...  That's how they got around the ban.

#29 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 01:27 PM

I think Shelter had some ties to the Cactus people, but I am not sure how that worked.

#30 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 01:32 PM

I think Shelter had some ties to the Cactus people, but I am not sure how that worked.

Yes right Cactus...  I'm sure it will be rebuilt.

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 11:56 PM

People going ballistic on Facebook about this.   :muching_out:

https://www.facebook...KMMwYaNizWyQ84l

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 August 2023 - 11:57 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 05:58 AM

Oh my, they are.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 08:09 PM

“Tofino is the Browns Social House of towns. It’s not that bad.”

Yup, nailed it..
  • Mike K. likes this

#34 Vicwestguy

Vicwestguy
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 10:56 AM

I think most don't know the difference between a corporation and a franchise. Browns is a franchise, owned by locals who hire local, and those people they hire,  all spend money in the community. From what I read, everyone is of the mindset that Tofino is all mom and pop restaurants. They are all calling for more places like Shed and Shelter, arguably two of Tofino's most popular eating destinations.  Hate to burst the bubble, but both Shed and Shelter are 49% owned by Cactus Club.....Have the tuna stack at Shelter then have it at Cactus, they are even plated EXACTLY the same...haha.

I get it that people wanted to keep Whistler, Tofino, etc, on the down low. Unfortunately, you cant have it both ways. The towns cant be super popular, full of tourists, and expect that businesses will not follow. I read somewhere that Tofino averages over 7k tourists a day, that amount of people need to eat somewhere, so more and more restaurants are going to open, its inevitable . It takes a huge risk to open a spot these days, and the banks are not likely to hand over 1 million for you to open Blank Bistro, the banks will be looking for a business with a track record of success. So more of these spots are gonna open in Tofino, just like they did in Whistler, embrace it.

• Nparker, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#35 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 11:13 AM

Businesses are being encouraged to install porta-potties instead of using washrooms – except for staff and urgent health needs – and should inform all visitors of water restrictions.

https://www.cheknews...tofino-1167807/

#36 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 11:37 AM

We get the same thing here, people are so sure there is some bylaw preventing chains or franchises, even though we had a Dairy Queen, marks work wearhouse and currently have a fields, thriftys, country grocer, Pharmasave, home hardware, etc.

What they really mean is don’t bring “fast food” or Starbucks here, but there is no law against it.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#37 Vicwestguy

Vicwestguy
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 04:42 PM

Businesses are being encouraged to install porta-potties instead of using washrooms – except for staff and urgent health needs – and should inform all visitors of water restrictions.

https://www.cheknews...tofino-1167807/

Its a real hot topic in Tofino. Tourism was decimated this summer, and they still had stage 3 water restrictions. This info would help prove to many that tourism is not the enemy !  The word is out, Tofino is an amazing place to visit, the world has noticed.

#38 Vicwestguy

Vicwestguy
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 04:46 PM

We get the same thing here, people are so sure there is some bylaw preventing chains or franchises, even though we had a Dairy Queen, marks work wearhouse and currently have a fields, thriftys, country grocer, Pharmasave, home hardware, etc.

What they really mean is don’t bring “fast food” or Starbucks here, but there is no law against it.

The Browns in Tofino is on the land owned by the local indigenous band, so I dont think the township had a say. That being said, Co Op, Spice Hut, Tacofino, Rhino coffee, are all franchises, and all in Tofino.

#39 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 05:24 PM

I don’t think there is any bylaw.

#40 Vicwestguy

Vicwestguy
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 05:30 PM

Yes right Cactus...  I'm sure it will be rebuilt.

Shelter, Shed , and Pizza Motto, CC has a 49 percent stake in.....

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users