• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#21 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:51 AM

Eating re-heated food, living in a condo that's driving you crazy because of the noise, working a job that won't allow you to afford anything else.

Wow, you're really living the dream, eh? ;)

eh, could be worse :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

I think I'll head down to Oxford for meat and fish this afternoon. The demand is likely now at an all-time low, so prices should reflect that.

#23 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

I think I'll head down to Oxford for meat and fish this afternoon. The demand is likely now at an all-time low, so prices should reflect that.

Meat from Oxford Foods? Hell, I admire a bargain more than the next guy, but your a braver soul than I.

#24 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

I like to buy where there are few line ups.

#25 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:35 PM

The leaness of Canadian meat doesn't help the taste. Meat needs fat because fat carries the flavor.
Pork chops and roasts are 42% leaner than in 1987. This may be healthier but the wonderful taste of fat grained meat has been lost.

#26 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

The leaness of Canadian meat doesn't help the taste. Meat needs fat because fat carries the flavor.
Pork chops and roasts are 42% leaner than in 1987. This may be healthier but the wonderful taste of fat grained meat has been lost.

Food nazis have taken the flavour out. No comparison between Canada AAA and US Prime. Fat is where the flavour lives.

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

^ so true. The butcher in QV is Halal fyi.

#28 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:01 PM

Frying steak in butter than adding more butter at the end helps.

#29 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

Better half and I decided to look at our food bills a while back. We used to go to Market on Yates for most everything, but their prices are ridiculous. After the ownership change at Thrifty's it has gone downhill a lot. So now:

Red Barn - every two weeks for fruit and veggies
Oxford Foods - bulk, canned items
Fairways - other fruit and veggies
Market on Yates - speciality / non-allergenic foods (apples are double the price to Red Barn)
Pharmasave (Oak Bay) - bulk packaged organics and cleaning products (some are 1/2 price to other stores)
Thrifty's - only if desparate for diapers late at night

New CSV butcher - wife hasn't discovered that yet :)
"I know nothing"

#30 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

I just can't stomach the idea of having to drive all over the city to for everything I need. It's just too time consuming.

Although I would never buy Oxford meat, some of their produce is decent. The thing that turns people off their produce has more to do with presentation than the produce itself. The lighting is terrible and they don't seem to spray it, giving it that glittery fresh look. Yes you'll find limp veggies and oddly shaped fruit, but as long as you're able to adapt you recipes based on what looks good, you're golden.
I am constantly amazed how low my bill comes to there. Thrifty's and Market On Yates shocks me for the opposite reason. Fairway, SOF and Safeway I am neutral about price.

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

Does Oxford Foods have organic veggies?

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

^No.
Strangely though, they sell many other products such as dairy and eggs organic. I am more concerned with dairy with hormones than produce with chemicals. Although I do buy organic produce sometimes.

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

For some odd reason, Oxford Foods has a big selection of Polish food.

Is the crazy old guy in the tweed coat still running the joint?

I was sure that when Food Country was kicked out of CSV Oxford Foods would have capitalized on the near-monopoly by going somewhat more upscale. But it has hardly changed a bit in the last couple of years. Although they may have mopped the floor.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#34 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

I shop at Thifty's for most things.

If you want questionable meat, forget Oxford and go to the Gordon Head Safeway...

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:14 PM

I have pretty much made the switch now to all organic veggies, fruits meats and milk. Cheese still is not there yet. It feels dirty to eat a non-organic apple now. I just can't enjoy it anymore.

#36 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

For some odd reason, Oxford Foods has a big selection of Polish food.

Is the crazy old guy in the tweed coat still running the joint?

I was sure that when Food Country was kicked out of CSV Oxford Foods would have capitalized on the near-monopoly by going somewhat more upscale. But it has hardly changed a bit in the last couple of years. Although they may have mopped the floor.

Not sure who tweed guy is but some guy driving an old caddie pops in from time to time. Someone told me the owner drove a caddie so I assume this is him.

From my observations they certainly haven't been on cruise control since Food Country's demise. On the surface you wouldn't see many changes, but their selection has certainly catered to a more selective crowd. Earth friendly cleaners, organics, and ethic foods - they have it believe it or not. I wouldn't expect to be wowed, but I'm sure most would be pleasantly surprised as to how eclectic the selection has become.

Seems to me that the person in charge of stock is working best to what he or she has to work with. The butcher division should be fired and burned at the stake. They ought to seek out a designer to revamp the interior and spiff up the kitsch that is working for the exterior. (With minor work, the place could be so retro cool.) The cashiers are - for the most part - beyond capable, brave and hard working. Many of the people in restock are questionable characters. (Potheads? Slightly morally vacant?) The cash stations need replacing and the aisles are annoyingly narrow.
I don't know if I want to see too many of these changes however, because I have become accustomed to the prices.

The clientele are still mostly elderly, but I see younger people more everyday.

#37 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

Not sure who tweed guy is but some guy driving an old caddie pops in from time to time. Someone told me the owner drove a caddie so I assume this is him.

From my observations they certainly haven't been on cruise control since Food Country's demise. On the surface you wouldn't see many changes, but their selection has certainly catered to a more selective crowd. Earth friendly cleaners, organics, and ethic foods - they have it believe it or not. I wouldn't expect to be wowed, but I'm sure most would be pleasantly surprised as to how eclectic the selection has become.

Seems to me that the person in charge of stock is working best to what he or she has to work with. The butcher division should be fired and burned at the stake. They ought to seek out a designer to revamp the interior and spiff up the kitsch that is working for the exterior. (With minor work, the place could be so retro cool.) The cashiers are - for the most part - beyond capable, brave and hard working. Many of the people in restock are questionable characters. (Potheads? Slightly morally vacant?) The cash stations need replacing and the aisles are annoyingly narrow.
I don't know if I want to see too many of these changes however, because I have become accustomed to the prices.

The clientele are still mostly elderly, but I see younger people more everyday.

Tweed guy could be Tommy the owner. He usually wears a hounds-tooth check sportcoat (could be mistaken for tweed). He's fun to chat with and very far from a fool. He owns half of Oxford St. Tommy's smar enough to know his clientele doesn't give a rat's ass for retro cool. They want low prices.
I've been friends with one of the cashiers for 10+ years, nice Chinese woman named Eve whose son goes to GNS or SMUS. There's one Chinese guy that I taught a long time ago either at Camosun or ICA and I had a chat the other day with a stocker and he was a bright, articulate guy. Maybe a doper who just wants a low-demand job while he writes his novel at night. As Fats Waller said, "One never knows, does one?"

#38 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:38 PM

Better half and I decided to look at our food bills a while back. We used to go to Market on Yates for most everything, but their prices are ridiculous. After the ownership change at Thrifty's it has gone downhill a lot. So now:

Red Barn - every two weeks for fruit and veggies
Oxford Foods - bulk, canned items
Fairways - other fruit and veggies
Market on Yates - speciality / non-allergenic foods (apples are double the price to Red Barn)
Pharmasave (Oak Bay) - bulk packaged organics and cleaning products (some are 1/2 price to other stores)
Thrifty's - only if desparate for diapers late at night

New CSV butcher - wife hasn't discovered that yet :)

Yeah, I'm thinking you mean Pharmasave on Fort at Richmond, its a hidden gem for organics and sometimes great prices on odd items here and there. Always worth a look-in if you're around there. Pharmasave in OB village doesn't give anybody a bargain on anything.

#39 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

I like Thrifty Foods because they have a quick turnover and therefore fresh produce. Cost is not a concern if you check the savings in their flyer and buy when items are on sale. Meat is marked down when the best before date arrives, but is fine if you use it within a few days, or freeze it.

Peppers in Cadboro Bay carries the full range of Galloping Goose Sausages, which are costly but worth it for their flavour.

#40 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

Oxford on Flickr.

Believe it or not, there's an apartment building behind those wood slats. I know a guy that lives there. He has a vertical stripe suntan.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users