• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:36 AM

Oxford on Flickr.

Believe it or not, there's an apartment building behind those wood slats. I know a guy that lives there. He has a vertical stripe suntan.

Ya, I have a friend that lived there once, the place wasn't half bad.

I had organic celery for the first time the other day, it was cheaper than the regular stuff at Wellburn's, I couldn't tell any diference - not sure if I was supposed to.

#42 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:30 AM

Thrifty's for virtually everything because I'm all about one-stop shopping and they're the best all-around package nearby. (I live near OB junction). In ingredient emergencies, I'll sometimes send a kid over to the Strathcona market, which is little better than your average corner store.

Never even considered Oxford because taking a car *into* CSV seems silly. I usually bike if I want to go there.

Upon reflection, it's funny what you get used to. I wouldn't try to park in CSV if I didn't have to, but don't think twice about the gong-show car park at Fairfield Plaza. Or, come to mention it, the really cramped dry goods aisle in the store. After 15 years, it just becomes habit.

#43 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

I used to live right across from the James Bay Thrifty's and would also make the occasional walk through the park to Oxford and Food Country. Now I live across from the SOF on Vernon and although I can't stand the place, we've been going there (and the Tillicum Safeway) more often since Sobeys (sorry, "Thrifty's") has ramped up their prices to where we simply avoid them now. We stock the freezer with meat when we make the monthly trip to Costco, and really hope that the WalMart groceteria will be comparable to the one in Duncan. When you have a steep mortgage and a family income of under $100k in Victoria, every dollar counts...

#44 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

I like Thrifty Foods because they have a quick turnover and therefore fresh produce. Cost is not a concern if you check the savings in their flyer and buy when items are on sale. Meat is marked down when the best before date arrives, but is fine if you use it within a few days, or freeze it.

Peppers in Cadboro Bay carries the full range of Galloping Goose Sausages, which are costly but worth it for their flavour.

I agree, for fresh Thrifty's are the leader and their meat is the best of the chains. What I don't like is to pay 20%+ than elsewhere for something in a can or jar.

#45 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

so where can you get wheat free products? my wife has allerges, so most of the store are nearly useless,and honestly I gave up trying to safe money watching for sales .we just cut back on meat and dairy and out of season fruit..lifestyles on douglas is the health store,but pricey

#46 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

so where can you get wheat free products? my wife has allerges, so most of the store are nearly useless,and honestly I gave up trying to safe money watching for sales .we just cut back on meat and dairy and out of season fruit..lifestyles on douglas is the health store,but pricey

Depending on what she can eat (i.e. can she have spelt or other grains), Market on Yates/Millstream have a good selection across various products. Apparently the corner store at Niagara and ?South Turner? in James Bay also has a good wheat free selection (probably in no small part to a hyperallergenic friend of mine who lives nearby) - they have made a major change over the last few years.

Lifesytles and Planetic Organic are both usually very expensive
"I know nothing"

#47 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

They sell wheat/ yeast free bread at Market on Yates. Check out Bubby's for gluten/ yeast free stuff. Ask the staff.
You have to accept that you will never find a duplicate for wheat/ yeast based items. I have to cut it out altogether from time to time myself.
Eat rice. There are also rice based pastas pretty much readily available in most supermarkets.

It's actually a lot easier to find this sort of stuff in Victoria. Count you blessings.

#48 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

There are also rice based pastas pretty much readily available in most supermarkets.

Really? I guess I have not been looking hard enough. What brand? What supermarket?

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

Mrs. West went to Thrifty today, Smile Card pre-loaded with $50. When it came to pay, the bored cashier casually noted that "Smile Cards weren't working right now". Some sort of temporary glitch I guess, but a fine time to find out. Lucky we had the cash.

Still, we mostly use Thrifty. Although we love the sourdough bread at Safeway.

We were renting a carpet cleaner at the Tillicum Safeway recently. The equally-bored young employee completing the rental form interrupted the transaction to deal with other employees asking if they could go on break. I didn't really think much of it until I saw his nametag which read: Management Trainee. I realized if this guy was the cream of the crop; being groomed for management then Safeway is on life support.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#50 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:42 PM

I agree, for fresh Thrifty's are the leader and their meat is the best of the chains. What I don't like is to pay 20%+ than elsewhere for something in a can or jar.

Right now (until March 23) you can buy 3 tins of Campbells Chunky Clam Chowder for $5.00. That price is not 20% higher than elsewhere. Try to find that same tin of soup elsewhere for $1.67.

I can save money at Thrifty's by watching for the deals.

#51 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

Mrs. West went to Thrifty today, ... bored cashier ...

There in a nutshell is a good part of what has gone wrong with Thrifty's - they used to have the happiest, most engaging staff. Now, Sobiftry's staff don't care.

Find a good store and the staff likely care (think Fairways in Oak Bay or Red Barn on West Saanich)
"I know nothing"

#52 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:35 AM

Really? I guess I have not been looking hard enough. What brand? What supermarket?

Can't remember the brands, but just keep an eye on for rice pasta mixed with regular pasta. It's probably right under your nose, but if you're not looking for it, it's easy not to spot it. Even Safeway has rice pasta - Thrifty's, M on Y too.

#53 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:47 AM

sorry wrong thread

#54 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:05 AM

Jalow just mentioned in the Official Retail thread a gluten free bakery opening up in town. Lots of wheat free options there I'm sure.

#55 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:05 AM

Right now (until March 23) you can buy 3 tins of Campbells Chunky Clam Chowder for $5.00. That price is not 20% higher than elsewhere. Try to find that same tin of soup elsewhere for $1.67.

I can save money at Thrifty's by watching for the deals.

Oxford has 950ml Garden Cocktail (excellent for Caesars and BMs) at $1.18 most every day. Top that!:D

#56 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

Oxford has 950ml Garden Cocktail (excellent for Caesars and BMs) at $1.18 most every day. Top that!:D

Technically, a Caesar requires Clamato juice, rather than plain old tomato/vegetable juice. And I use All Bran Buds for my BMs, thank you very much. :o

#57 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

I like bacon but I don't like the fact that when I pull strips out of the package, each one is >75% fat.

Where can I get some good strips of bacon that have more meat than fat on them?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#58 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:42 AM

Technically, a Caesar requires Clamato juice, rather than plain old tomato/vegetable juice. And I use All Bran Buds for my BMs, thank you very much. :o

My lawyer says its a Mott point!:D

#59 groceryalerts

groceryalerts

groceryalerts

• 31 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

I am the founder of Grocery Alerts Canada and I am from Victoria.

My wife and I shop everywhere: Superstore, Oxfords, Thriftys, and Save-on-Foods.

I have put the best flyers on the website from the local stores: Fairways, Western Foods, Country Grocer, RCSS, Thriftys, Safeways and Save-on-Foods.

Here is the URL to our site to see the local victoria deals.

http://victoria.groceryalerts.ca/

Let me know any good feedback. I want to help my fellow Victorians save money on groceries. We even have printable grocery coupons.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

^ for a second I thought maybe he was a health inspector and was going to kibosh my Oxford Foods purchases. :o

^ groceryalerts, can we see a whole flyer online at once?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users