Photo

History of Saloons, Beer Parlour & Pubs Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#61 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

There are two references to the opening of the Garrick's Head (which shut down in 1914) the first was, January 19, 1871 and the second was December 31, 1867.

The research continues to find the exact date.

here's a little info.........
http://www.bastionsquare.ca/history/

i do have a picture of two guys standing out front with 1889 written in chalk on the wall. it was then called Garricks head saloon.

not nearly as old, but here you see Garricks was also the 1st customer of Vancouver island brewery.LOL
http://www.vanisland...spx?PageID=1014

old pic...............
http://farm4.static...._2b704a616a.jpg

#62 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

here's a little info.........
http://www.bastionsquare.ca/history/

i do have a picture of two guys standing out front with 1889 written in chalk on the wall. it was then called Garricks head saloon.

not nearly as old, but here you see Garricks was also the 1st customer of Vancouver island brewery.LOL
http://www.vanisland...spx?PageID=1014

old pic...............
http://farm4.static...._2b704a616a.jpg

Right, the last link to the great old photo was added by me when I wrote about the owner of the Garrick's Head, Michael Powers, who was murdered in 1899.
Love that photo.

I read the information from the Bastion Square Society but there are no footnotes or proof of where they found the information that the original Garrick's Head opened in 1867. But I did find a reference to the owner (Proprietor) of the Garrick's Head from the 1868 Directory, his name is Thomas Chadwick. This supports the arguement that the Garrick's Head was opened before 1871 and it is located on Bastion Street.
Source: http://www.vpl.ca/bc...ctory_2nd_Issue

Well guess what...I just found this:
http://www.britishco...ick,saloon,head,

From the British Colonist, Wednesday January 1, 1868, "GARRICK'S HEAD- Thomas Chadwick will open the Garrick's Head Saloon adjoining the Theatre on Bastion street, this evening." So it looks like the original Garrick's Head opened on January 1, 1868.

#63 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

cool info, i had heard that it was opened on new years day before.

#64 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:18 AM

^^ Nice link, there will be some interesting reading in there. Thank you.

#65 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

A number of years ago, a couple of my father's (born 1917 & now deceased) drinking buddies put together a list of all the drinking establishments in Victoria from 1887 to 1908 that they could remember. I just located it, if you're interested.
Also, was there a hotel and bar on Dallas Road at Clover Point in the 1890's, do you know?
Also, also, on the corner of Douglas and Johnson where I think there is a coffee shop (it used to be Dorman's Men's Wear in the 60s) there was a pub that boasted the "longest bar in town". Its name I don't know. Ciao.

Garth

Yes that saloon that once existed on the southwest corner of Douglas & Johnson Streets was indeed the Regent Saloon...please follow this link as Cecil Clark has a great before (1910c) and after picture (1972) of the saloon:
http://www.flickr.co...ory/5477495444/

#66 Garth Pettersen

Garth Pettersen
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the follow up on the Regent Saloon and the Cliff House. I hope my 2 page list gave you some new info. I checked out your list and it's very comprehensive. Best wishes on the books.

Garth

#67 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for the follow up on the Regent Saloon and the Cliff House. I hope my 2 page list gave you some new info. I checked out your list and it's very comprehensive. Best wishes on the books.

Garth

Thank-you Garth,

I hope everyone interested in the history of Greater Victoria finds it worthwhile; thank-you for your two-page list.
Ronald Greene compiled a list back in the 1990's based on liquor licenses between 1889-1914 which was the basis of my lists.

#68 Londonjoe

Londonjoe
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWest Malling, Kent, United Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

I was in Sidney in 1984 and visited The Golden Bear on a couple of occasions and had a great time there. I was looking on the internet to find any information on the pub but the only thing I found was a mention on this site. I know it was 30 years ago but can anyone tell me if The Golden Bear is still there? 

Where exactly is/ was it in Sidney? I remember walking to it from where I was staying but forget where it was. 

I tried Google Earth but came up with nothing.

Thanks, Joe.

• Mike K. likes this

#69 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

Welcome to the forum, Londonjoe

• sdwright.vic likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

...can anyone tell me if The Golden Bear is still there? Where exactly is/ was it in Sidney?...

Was is possibly in the old Sidney Travelodge?

#71 Londonjoe

Londonjoe
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWest Malling, Kent, United Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. I looked on Google Earth for the Travelodge and, if my memory of 30 years ago serves me well, it looks to be a likely spot. I seem to remember it being near a main road. 

Can anybody tell me when it closed?

I attach a picture of what it looked like in 1984.

Thanks, Joe.1984 373.jpg

• Jill likes this

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

We're hearing via Facebook that it may have been at Mt. Newton Cross Road and HWY 17. The Quality Inn replaced the building pictured with a larger faux tudor design.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#73 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

I remember that place! I even went there once, in 1987/88. I don't think it was at Mt Newton, though. It was on Beacon, close to the highway.

#74 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:42 PM

Judging by the vehicles in the parking lot, I'm not sure I would want to stay there.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for the replies. I looked on Google Earth for the Travelodge and, if my memory of 30 years ago serves me well, it looks to be a likely spot. I seem to remember it being near a main road. 

Can anybody tell me when it closed?

I attach a picture of what it looked like in 1984.

Thanks, Joe.attachicon.gif1984 373.jpg

YES, it's Sidney Travelodge, right at Beacon and Pat Bay.  I'm old enough to remember it being the Bear Pub, well before it was the Charles Dickens.  It was a pretty hot spot for live rock music.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#76 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

We may be talking about 3 separate venues.

Firstly, the Golden Bear pictured in previous posts was not located at the "Waddling Dog" at the corner of Mount Newton and the highway.

The sleep walking "Bear" was the logo of the Travelodge chain. That is how the name of the pub became "The Golden Bear", and yes it was located at Beacon Avenue at the west end of the building as pictured in a previous post. Now if memory serves me correctly they did have live bands there and for a short while they also had strippers.

The Golden Bear met it's demise when the area was remodeled into the buildings that stand today. That's when the Charles Dickens pub came into being, but it is not exactly in the same spot of the old "Bear".

Now just to make life interesting, there was a Cabaret on the property that opened in 1975 and was located on the west end of the Travelodge building. That is where the really wild live music and partying happened. That building is long gone. Here is an rather humorous old advertisement of the "Sour Grapes" an American Band that opened the venue.

Sour Grapes.jpg

Please keep in mind that the facts presented above are subject to change and correction as there were a lot of drugs and alcohol involved in the research that started 40 years ago.

• Mike K. and Jill like this

#77 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

I knew it would be you, Sparky, who would clear that up for us :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#78 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

:)

#79 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

I saw The Sour Grapes quite a few times at various locations in the seventies. I was pretty sure they were a Victoria Band (although the poster mentions their gig at the Bear as a "gesture of international goodwill"). If they are the guys I am thinking of, they were pretty entertaining (and talented) and were all over the board with their style.... country, rock a billy, blues, greaser rock 'n roll...

#80 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

^ You are correct. The Royal City Music Project would agree. I must have been thinking about another band.

http://rcmpsite.com/...ew&bandid=22588

That's what hash oil will do to you.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users