Photo

History of Saloons, Beer Parlour & Pubs Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#81 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

Come to think about it, I may have seen their farwell gig at the Slurp 'n Slide that night. Then again, I may have been at Woodstock too...but I couldn't say for sure...I was burning a lot of oil, as well.

#82 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

^ :) Most of our readers have probably never heard of the Surfside. That's a whole other story. ;)

#83 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

I have decided to call the new bar in our building The Churchill. If anybody out there has and old photos or anything from the old churchill days in our basement, i would love to see them.

• GAMofford likes this
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#84 Londonjoe

Londonjoe
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWest Malling, Kent, United Kingdom

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for all the great replies. I seem to have stirred a few memories!

They definitely had strippers at The Golden Bear. I was in Sidney in 1984 with my girlfriend at the time, staying with her grandparents. We had visited the pub to see a band earlier in our holiday but had a row one afternoon so I decided to walk to the pub because I knew it would p*** her off. I only intended to stay for a beer but as I sat down (they wouldn't serve me at the bar- that seemed odd to an Englishman!) loud music came over the sound system which turned out to be the 12" mix of Legs by ZZ Top. This also seemed odd as it was the middle of the afternoon and there was nobody there to dance. My confusion was resolved when a few seconds later a rather attractive young lady started to dance on the stage. She then proceeded to remove her clothes. A quick pint to annoy the girlfriend turned into a rather enjoyable afternoon with several beers and boy was she annoyed when I got back a few hours later stinking of beer!!! Happy memories of being 20 years old! 

I was talking about this to my Belgian mate when I was over there a couple of weeks ago which is why I decided to see if The Golden Bear was still there on the internet which led me to this site.

Thanks again, Joe.

• GAMofford likes this

#85 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

Doesn't look like glenallan54 hangs out here much anymore, but I found this brochure in my collection of 'stuff I don't know why I keep'.  Colony Motor Inn from, I'm guessing , about 1982.

Attached Images

• Colony Motor Inn 2.jpg
  • Colony Motor Inn.jpg

• GAMofford likes this

#86 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

Thats funny, My owner used to own the Colony. He tore it down and built what is now the sandman. then sold it to them.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:38 AM

So Glen's book comes out next month!

screenshot-twitter.com 2016-09-28 12-36-58.png

• GAMofford likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#88 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:53 AM

Spotted this event at Bolen Books and thought it sounds like a good event for local history enthusiasts. I wasn't sure which was the best thread, so I picked this one because of Glen Mofford's book.

---------

Bolen Books is thrilled to be partnering with TouchWood Edition book publishers to present an evening of new books and local history, featuring three fantastic historians/authors exploring Victoria's (and Vancouver Island's) fascinating history. We'll be welcoming Nick Russell, author of Glorious Victorians and Victoria: Then and Now, who will be presenting his latest work, Glorious Victorian Homes - an in-depth look at Victorian's breathtaking architectural landmarks. He'll be joined by Glen A. Mofford, author of Aqua Vitae: A History of the Saloons and Hotel Bars of Victoria, 1851-1917 - a popular history of Victoria's drinking establishments in their heyday. Dr. Martha Black will be discussing Treasures of the Royal British Columbia Museum, which features a beautiful photographic presentation of some of our museum's most iconic collections and exhibitions. 

We can't wait for this truly outstanding and unique event to take place. Here are the key details if you want to come check it out..

Where? In store at Bolen Books in Hillside Centre. When? Monday, November 7th at 7:00 PM. How much does it cost? It's free to attend. We'll have plenty of copies of the books available for purchase.

This event is a presentation of Bolen Books and TouchWood Editions.

• GAMofford likes this

#89 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:29 AM

It's a beautifully produced book. I'm looking forward to reading it.
  • Jill and GAMofford like this

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:35 AM

Congrats on the book, Glen!

TC has a review today.

http://www.timescolo...story-1.2371539

Aqua Vitae is Mofford’s first book, but he has been researching and writing about historic hotels and the imbibing opportunities they offered for more than a decade. As this book shows, Mofford is certainly qualified as an expert on the topic.

James Yates, a ship carpenter from Scotland who came to Victoria as an employee of the Hudson’s Bay Company, gets the credit for opening the first privately owned saloon in the city. He built it on two waterfront lots on Wharf Street, probably at the southeast corner of today’s Wharf and Yates streets.

He named his saloon the Ship Inn. In the years that followed, his business faced competition but survived, in no small part because Governor James Douglas introduced fees that drove the upstarts away.

Yates returned to Scotland a decade after opening his saloon. He had become a wealthy man, the first person to build a fortune selling liquor in Victoria. He left behind his name on a major thoroughfare and earned a place in this history book.

• GAMofford likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:38 AM

Aqua Vitae is richly illustrated with photos, drawings and, best of all, maps. It is a comprehensive guide that is easy to read.

Beyond that, it is fascinating, dealing with a topic that has been ignored despite the impact that alcohol, and access to it, had on our ancestors.

• GAMofford likes this

#92 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:41 PM

I like this kind of history.
  • VicHockeyFan and GAMofford like this

#93 kjf

kjf
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:25 AM

At the Museum: Aqua Vitae: A History of the Saloons and Hotel Bars of Victoria, 1851–1917
October 30,2016
2:00 pm to 3:30 pm
Newcombe Conference Hall

Presented by Glen A. Mofford

Glen will give an illustrated talk based on his new book on the research behind his book and its contents, including some familiar buildings and landmarks. He will describe what took place in them during the days of 5-cent beers, smoky saloons and swinging doors, and touch on Prohibition in BC, specifically in Victoria. Glen will also discuss his current research project on the beer parlours of Greater Victoria.There is no charge for this public presentation, which will follow the business portion of the Annual General Meeting of the Friends of the BC Archives.

• GAMofford likes this

#94 GAMofford

GAMofford
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:41 AM

Greetings all ~ I've been absent from this forum far too long and it's good to be back. My wife and I retired up to Port Alberni three years ago.

We are on our way back to Victoria this morning as I have accepted an invitation to speak to the Friends of the BC Archives at the Newcombe Auditorium this afternoon at 2 PM, free for the public. We recently (Tuesday October 18) had my book release event at the Drake Eatery on Pandora Ave which was a great success.

I can't convey how excited I was when TouchWood Editions in Victoria agreed to publish my manuscript, Aqua Vitae: A History of the Saloons and Hotel Bars of Victoria, 1851-1917. I was thrilled to read the review in the Times Colonist by Dave Obee, I'm so glad he liked my debut book. (Hint: Dave loves maps, and there is a map for each of the five chapters in my book.)

It's important that we have a record of colourful social history, and you can't get much more colourful than to delve into the many stories that needed to be told about the drinking establishments of Victoria. I hope I conveyed some of these stories in a way that is interesting and easy to read. I love Victoria and I love history, and just to top it off, I love drinking beer, so this book was a no brainer. I also want to ensure I get it right as this is a non-fiction history, these stories are based in fact, from the murders and suicides to the good stuff too.

If you have the chance come out to the Royal Victoria Museum today and take in my talk. Once my nerves settle down it should be a good one.

A big thank-you to the moderator and members of Vibrant Victoria for sharing their experiences in the local bars. I am currently working on two other potential books, one on Vancouver, but the other, a follow-up from Aqua Vitae tentatively named, "Filled to the Plimsoll Line: A History of the Beer Parlours and Pubs of Greater Victoria, 1925-2000." But right now I'm reveling in the fact that my first book is out there and I sure hope you like it.

It's good to be back.

• Jill likes this

#95 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:44 PM

I'm getting the book for Christmas, looking forward to reading it.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:53 PM

Don't forget Glen will be at Bolen Books next week.

Bolen Books is thrilled to be partnering with TouchWood Edition book publishers to present an evening of new books and local history, featuring three fantastic historians/authors exploring Victoria's (and Vancouver Island's) fascinating history. We'll be welcoming Nick Russell, author of Glorious Victorians and Victoria: Then and Now, who will be presenting his latest work, Glorious Victorian Homes - an in-depth look at Victorian's breathtaking architectural landmarks. He'll be joined by Glen A. Mofford, author of Aqua Vitae: A History of the Saloons and Hotel Bars of Victoria, 1851-1917 - a popular history of Victoria's drinking establishments in their heyday. Dr. Martha Black will be discussing Treasures of the Royal British Columbia Museum, which features a beautiful photographic presentation of some of our museum's most iconic collections and exhibitions. 

We can't wait for this truly outstanding and unique event to take place. Here are the key details if you want to come check it out..

Where? In store at Bolen Books in Hillside Centre. When? Monday, November 7th at 7:00 PM. How much does it cost? It's free to attend. We'll have plenty of copies of the books available for purchase.

This event is a presentation of Bolen Books and TouchWood Editions.

I'm also happy to report that Bolen Books has donated a few copies of Glen's book for door prizes, to be won in the first hour of Big Bad John's Day, that's being hosted by my Facebook page and Vibrant Victoria on Saturday, November 26th.

• Jill likes this

#97 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:39 AM

^^^ Welcome back to vibrantvictoria GAMofford. I look forward to reading your book.

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:36 AM

Glen will be talking at Oak Bay library next week.

http://www.oakbaynew.../399923811.html

#99 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:17 PM

So I'm settling down with this book on Christmas morning and I'm telling the family how it should be an interesting read, etc. Hey, family, do y'all remember the old building that used to be on the corner of Bridge Street and Bay Street? Does anybody remember that old building? And just by random chance I've opened the book to page 144 and there's a pic of that very building ("The Rock Bay Hotel"). Literally the very first page that I flipped to. Roughly the middle of the book. Call it a Christmas miracle. Maybe not quite, but I still enjoy it when things like that happen.

So has anybody checked out that thick history of the Uplands that Bolen Books had on their counter? I was actually surprised by how thick it was.

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:54 PM

Glen, I forgot to tell you the people that won your book at Big Bad John's Day were very thrilled.  More than one couple came just for the chance to win it.  I don't think they did win, but there might have been some trading taking place too, Royals hockey tickets for the book etc...  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users