History of Saloons, Beer Parlour & Pubs Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 06:55 AM

And then Mrs. Sparky said get that thing out of my hallway?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#122 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 07:10 AM

Ha! No the hallway between Big Bad John’s and the washrooms.
  • Matt R. likes this

#123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 07:26 AM

Ah, now I remember it being there. Cool!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#124 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 07:41 PM

That's quite a flashlight collection you have there, Sparky.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#125 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 08:03 PM

Ha! You should see the telephones.
  • Matt R. likes this

#126 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 June 2022 - 02:33 PM

I think to get to what used to be the Bastion you go to Garrick's Head and then downstairs toward the washrooms.  Along the hall leading to the men's there's a sloping spur hallway leading down to the right to a (usually locked) door.  I'm pretty sure the Bastion was in there, though I'm also pretty sure that wasn't the main way of getting in and the spur hall was just the washroom access.

#127 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,240 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 03:46 PM

I'm just looking forward to seeing what happens to that truck outside. Also nice pachinko machine. Is it working? My grandpa used to have one. I spent many hours playing that machine. 

#128 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 04:33 PM

O dear.

At the risk of sliding off topic, I am a fan of all things old especially old saloons. (See what I did there ?)

So now that I posted a personal picture...and you are looking at the background...the truck (1952 Ford flatbed) runs. It;s a backdrop to my saloon.

AC254487-E6C3-4576-BF90-45D13DF1872F.jpeg

The saloon itself (that’s where Big Bad John is located) is a work in progress.

C4966AE1-0982-4DEB-A1CB-C1775C229172.jpeg

Yes the Pachinko machine works.
  • Nparker likes this

#129 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,240 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 06:51 PM

Worthy projects. You going to restore the truck? Rat rod it? My grandpa also used to do that. He had a fully restored Model T he would ride us around in. My uncle made hot rods.

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 09:19 PM

I think to get to what used to be the Bastion you go to Garrick's Head and then downstairs toward the washrooms. Along the hall leading to the men's there's a sloping spur hallway leading down to the right to a (usually locked) door. I'm pretty sure the Bastion was in there, though I'm also pretty sure that wasn't the main way of getting in and the spur hall was just the washroom access.

In the early 00s we discovered that door had rarely been locked, so we took to hanging out down there with our beers every now and then. It was kinda eerie and weird being in a nightclub/bar environment with only emergency lighting in the space, and a busy bar above. Eventually the door was locked one day and that was that.
  • FogPub likes this

Know it all.

#131 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 June 2022 - 09:19 PM

In the early 00s we discovered that door had rarely been locked, so we took to hanging out down there with our beers every now and then. It was kinda eerie and weird being in a nightclub/bar environment with only emergency lighting in the space, and a busy bar above. Eventually the door was locked one day and that was that.

As long as it wasn't locked while you were in there... :)

• Mike K. likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users