Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3297 replies to this topic

#2181 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 07:57 AM

We all feel it. It’s not just you, and the half dozen businesses near you.

Which is why I said "indeed most (if not all) businesses in the downtown core feel exactly the same way".

I'm not sure what you're on about Mike ... I'm relating a factual series of events that clearly indicate that VicPD doesn't have a handle on street crime in the downtown core.

Further noting that a change in VicPD management might result in a more positive result is simply a logical thought process (Business #101 almost) if the current $60 million dollars doesn't accomplish the mission taxpayers expect to see accomplished with their tax dollars.

BTW ... If you're only looking for folks to post here on V.V. that will simply agree with everything you say, rather than have a robust discussion on the issues, and even offer (GASP!) opinions that are fundamentally different than your own ... please do let me know.

#2182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 08:00 AM

I think your point of view is unreasonable, yes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2183 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,322 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 08:02 AM

I'm not sure it's unreasonable.

We do need to know what we are getting for the $60 million.

It appears "patrol" is not a service they can provide within their budget.  So where is all the money being spent?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 July 2022 - 08:03 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#2184 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 08:05 AM

It’s unreasonable to complain about police working to curb violence at the hands of large gatherings of drunk and high teens. It was a serious problem, and it had to be dealt with.

The crime issue is a combination of provincial and municipal doings. Police can only work within those constructs, regardless of who is at the top.

We’ll recall that the agenda to go after downtown crime in Nanaimo was set by the mayor. Victoria’s mayor is upset our chief talks about rising crime.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2185 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 08:06 AM

I think your point of view is unreasonable, 

I don't follow I'm afraid.

My POV is simply that VicPD don't have a handle on hard core street crime in the downtown core, and that, as a taxpayer and business owner, I'd like to see that changed in light of the fact that VicPD is working with a (ever increasing) $60 million dollar budget.

What do you think my POV is ... the one that you think is "unreasonable"?

Are you sure you think my point of view is unreasonable Mike ... or do you just harbor a persistent dislike for me personally, based on what and how I post here on V.V. some (but not all) of which is in direct opposition to your own personal view of the world at large.

#2186 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 08:09 AM

Not at all.

I suspect we may be talking about two different things, though. The cops had to quell teen violence, given how brash it was getting.

Know it all.

#2187 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 08:15 AM

I suspect we may be talking about two different things, though. 

I was wondering if, indeed, that was the case ... and I think we might be.

In general, we agree that street crime is an issue, and that the downtown core is hurting pretty badly these days.

I suspect we are on different tracks though in discussing the teens.

I'm not saying don't crack down on violent and abusive teens ... I was only noting that the specific group of teens in the video seemed to be doing nothing of any great harm, and that VicPD seemed unduly focused on that specific group, in that they chose to post a video of their interaction.

Perhaps I stretched the conversation too far in further noting that, rather than focusing on that specific group of teens at that specific point in time ... the hard core street crime still required more of VicPD's attention that it might have been getting.

Anyway ... all good ... moving on.

Edited by Spy Black, 19 July 2022 - 08:16 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#2188 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,322 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 08:25 AM

Most of the teens ran upon the arrival of police. Now I’m not saying that every time you run from cops you’ve done something ultra illegal. But most of that group knew they were up to no good. And either the police or their parents would not be happy to find out what it was.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 July 2022 - 08:25 AM.

#2189 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 08:26 AM

...The crime issue is a combination of provincial and municipal doings. Police can only work within those constructs, regardless of who is at the top...

... the hard core street crime still required more of VicPD's attention that it might have been getting...

The bottom line is that as long as various levels of government choose to be excessively permissive in regards to the issues that bring about crime in our cities, our police forces are going to be stretched to their limits dealing with the fallout.

#2190 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 10:18 AM

Throngs of teens were jumping on cars, assaulting passerby and damaging property just days before the Dallas Road incident. We have to cut the police some slack, they were responding to quell mob violence that was plaguing the downtown core and surrounding areas at the hands of teenagers.

Sounds like you need to hire your own security if your place of business is such a target for crime.

if they just lowered the age to buy pot these problems would probably go away

#2191 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 01:04 PM

Kids smoke spice now. Pot is for boomers.

Know it all.

#2192 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 01:44 PM

A little K2 won’t hurt a boomer. Will it?

#2193 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 04:15 PM

Is synthetic cannabinoids better? Never tried it

“When inhaled: K2/spice is UNSAFE when inhaled. It can cause harmful side effects, such as hallucinations, seizures, heart attacks, stroke, and even death” https://www.webmd.co...o-1576/k2-spice

#2194 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 07:40 PM

In 2021/22, I've spent $13,200.00 on window replacements, and my custodians have had to clean human excrement from the front door vestibule of my place of business 14 times.

My front counter staff have been variously harangued by street folks too many times to count, some of those confrontations were relatively short lived and harmless, and some of them resulted in a call to 911, and had an element of danger to them as my front counter staff handles cash, and doesn't work behind glass such that they're protected physically from the public.

I would posit that folks who believe the VicPD resources are well spent going after kids drinking on the beach have absolutely no idea what's going on in the downtown core on a daily basis.

As noted, allocation of resources is a management function (as opposed to a rank and file function), and VicPD desperately needs new management.

Comments about giving kids "the vote" seem like a straw man distraction, and I've got no opinion on the subject (counter to the implication that I must have an opinion by simply questioning allocation of VicPD resources).

If there is not a wholesale change of councillors in the fall, I would be moving my business elsewhere.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2195 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 09:01 PM

If there is not a wholesale change of councillors in the fall, I would be moving my business elsewhere.

With relatively few incumbents running this year, my greatest fear is that we will get clones of the worst of what we already have. I am not sure Victoria can survive 4 years of Isitt, Potts or Dubow 2.0.

#2196 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 09:12 PM

There are very few reasonable candidates running. I keep hoping some sensible business people run.

#2197 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 09:22 PM

Most of the teens ran upon the arrival of police. Now I’m not saying that every time you run from cops you’ve done something ultra illegal. But most of that group knew they were up to no good. And either the police or their parents would not be happy to find out what it was.

didn't the police also note that as they got to the place where the teens were that there were open booze containers (some empty some partially drunk) left laying around? i remember seeing a photo of it...

the police did also put up a warning that weekend that they will be on the look out for minors causing trouble because it was on the significant rise over the last few weeks posting weapons they had confiscated and incidents of taking youth to the drunk tank or back to their parents in the westshore and area... so the video just went along with it all... and to my mind it's good that they posted, it's letting the youth, parents and all know that "we see you, we know you've been up to mischief, and we're going to do our best to nip this in the bud"  because soon after they did those posts the crowds of teens stopped showing up downtown

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#2198 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 July 2022 - 05:09 AM

^yup.

Know it all.

#2199 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 21 July 2022 - 03:31 PM

‘Two very different communities’: Victoria, Esquimalt mull shared policing priorities

Current police framework agreement up for renewal—and sides differ over who should pay what share

July 20, 2022

The binding agreement that oversees policing services shared between Victoria and Esquimalt expires this month—and the two municipalities have differing views on how the next amalgamated police budget should look.

Esquimalt council has let it be known it feels the township is paying more than its fair share relative to Victoria, given its lesser use of police services. Victoria mayor Lisa Helps says it’s time for amalgamating police services region-wide.

Both municipalities are looking to address what police have described as a “serious staff shortage” in a department where, as recently as December, a survey found nearly a quarter of officers had symptoms of PTSD.

Morehttps://www.capitald...cing-priorities

#2200 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,322 posts

Posted 21 July 2022 - 03:43 PM

Two very “different” communities. Lisa Helps hopes for a regional force to prop up her dysfunctional portion.
  • Daveyboy and Barrrister like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Lorenzo