Photo

Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3297 replies to this topic

#2761 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 07:09 AM

Just what local law enforcement needed - more politicos.
  • Matt R. and Barrrister like this

#2762 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 07:21 AM

… Tim Kituri, program manager of Royal Roads University’s Master of Global Management program, will shore up a board that has been chronically short of bodies.

I wonder what the tie-in here is.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2763 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 04 May 2023 - 08:45 AM

I wonder what the tie-in here is.

Both appointees are ideological clones, Mike. I'm sure that was the point.

Royal Roads MBA feels as much like re-education to "right-think", as about leadership and management in a globalized world...pointless now other than letters on a resume, or joining the current narrative here.

• Nparker likes this

#2764 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 09:06 AM

^ https://youtu.be/_w5D4QJbLW8

#2765 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 07:41 PM

I didn't read the article, but the headline says that they are increasing the board by two people, and that will take the board from 9 to 10.

Huh?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2766 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 09:49 PM

Let's hope their administrative skills are better than their math.

#2767 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 03:42 AM

I didn't read the article, but the headline says that they are increasing the board by two people, and that will take the board from 9 to 10.

Huh?

One guy just quit, no?

#2768 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 03:23 AM

Man shot in head by Duncan police breathing on his own, wife says
  • Times Colonist
  • 7 May 2023
  •  
  •  
  • duncan.png
  • Davin Cochrane recovering at Victoria General Hospital on Saturday. He was shot by Duncan RCMP on the evening of March 28.

Davin Cochrane is breathing on his own now after doctors at Victoria General Hospital removed his trachea tube this week.

And for the first time since he was shot by a Duncan RCMP officer on the evening of March 28, his wife Sarah Annie Brown has reason to hope.

No one knows why Cochrane was driving a track loader skidsteer along residential streets in Duncan and refused to stop for police. Gunshots rang out and Cochrane was shot twice in the head. He was raced to hospital, where he was sedated and placed in an induced coma.

“He knows who we are, so that makes me happy because I didn’t know what to expect. I had a lot of fear and I still do. But I think I can breathe, finally. I think he’s over the scary part and I hope he makes a good recovery — whatever that looks like,” she said.

Cochrane, 32, is able to have short conversations. He is sitting up and standing on his own. On Wednesday, he started semi-solid food and will soon be moved to the neurology unit where the hard work of rehabilitation will start. The doctors aren’t sure how long his recovery will take and how much progress he will make, said Brown.

Earlier this week, the couple met with a lawyer at the hospital and Brown said they are planning to launch a personal injury claim against the RCMP and Cowichan District Hospital.

The couple have a fourmonth-old baby girl, Mylah, and Cochrane has taken on Brown’s children, Preston, 11, and six-year-old Willow, as his own.

Willow’s therapist suggested the little girl might feel better if she wrote a letter to the police officer who shot her father, said Brown.

They stopped at the RCMP detachment and the six-year-old delivered her letter. A sergeant read it and came out and talked to her.

“He was actually really nice. He said ‘Sorry. I’m sure you have a lot more to say.’ Willow was really shy at first. After that, she said to the sergeant: ‘You know what, I think I’ll still be a cop. But I’ll be a good one.’ ”

Morehttps://www.timescol...fe-says-6964442

#2769 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 11:32 AM

I’m not clicking on the link. Does it says why they are suing the hospital?

#2770 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 01:31 PM

I’m not clicking on the link. Does it says why they are suing the hospital?

"Earlier this week, the couple met with a lawyer at the hospital and Brown said they are planning to launch a personal injury claim against the RCMP and Cowichan District Hospital.

After the shooting, Brown learned that her husband had been in a serious car crash in Chemainus earlier that day. She was told he was taken to hospital and given a narcotic, then ­simply walked away. She wasn’t contacted by anyone at the hospital." 

Sounds like they're claiming that the hospital gave him pain meds due to the car crash and then allowed him to leave in an unsafe state.. which then led to him stealing to Bobcat and running from the police.... 

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#2771 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 07:23 PM

-Leaving aside the sad echo of "Research in Motion", I wonder if there are legal implications beyond "helpful Bobby on the beat assists immigrant victims/tourists with new patrol toy", like if perps make admissions and cops interrogate to some degree using the app, hopefully this is more accurate than Google Translate :)

Connecting With Our Community Through Languages In Motion

Date: May 10, 2023 

Victoria, BC – VicPD has launched a new language interpretation tool to improve accessibility and communication with diverse community members who may feel more comfortable communicating in a language other than English. 

Through an app on their smart phones or tablets, VicPD officers, staff and volunteers will be able to quickly and easily access a law enforcement-focused translation service, allowing them to have immediate conversations with our community in any situation; from the front desk, to interviews with victims or witnesses, to roadside stops, to regular interactions with citizens and businesses.  

Screenshot 2023-05-10 20.21.51.png

“As the Chief Constable of VicPD and a community member who speaks multiple languages, I am very excited to offer this service to our community. I am confident that by breaking down language barriers, this tool will help us to build trust and confidence with citizens, who will now be able to communicate and receive immediate police service in their language of choice. This is a positive step forward in our ongoing efforts in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion,” says Chief Constable Del Manak. 

VicPD will be using software from Languages in Motion (LiM), a unified video, phone, and in-person interpretation app that includes access to more than 200 languages, including American Sign Language. 

This new tool is part of VicPD’s ongoing commitment to innovation and Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in serving the City of Victoria and the Township of Esquimalt. 

• todd likes this

#2772 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 09:17 PM

IIO BC police shooting investigations quadruple over five year average

May 13, 2023 

Screenshot 2023-05-13 22.08.25.png

An RCMP officer shooting a civilian in Duncan on Friday is the most recent in an upward trend of police shootings in B.C., according to the chief civilian director of the Independent Investigations Office.

Ronald MacDonald, the chief civilian director, tells CHEK News over the past 12 to 13 months the number of police shootings has seen a three-and-a-half times increase.

“We’ve seen a significant rise in police shootings in British Columbia. On average, in the last five years, we had approximately seven officer-involved shootings per fiscal year or 12-month period, our fiscal year runs from April 1 to March 31,” MacDonald said.

“This immediate past fiscal year we had 26. And this is now I believe the fourth officer-involved shooting since April 1.”

MacDonald says earlier this year the IIO was in a “dire” situation, with only 19 investigators handling the investigations into police incidents across the country, when there are usually 30.

“Since that time government has approved new positions here which included nine new investigative positions which brings our frontline investigative staff to 35 of the authorized strength and we have been able to hire five more investigators,” MacDonald said.

For investigations, MacDonald says the organization prioritizes collecting evidence while the scene is fresh, then the remainder of the investigation can take place awhile later depending on the caseload.

“We always front load our investigation to ensure that we’re able to get to the scene and gather all of the perishable evidence as much as it as we can early on. It’s subsequent to that where things slow down,” he said. “So we get the work done we need to off the top, and then the file has to fall into the queue with all the others and that’s where we tend to be delayed, doing interviews, follow-up interviews, analysis, etc.”

The IIO currently has between 60-65 open investigations.

#2773 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 02:04 PM

I’m not clicking on the link.

Why not? You don’t use a VPN? It’s 2023.

#2774 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 07:29 PM

Too busy for any link clicking. I need my content to be spoon fed.

#2775 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:08 PM

@vicpdcanada

We are very glad to welcome Elizabeth Cull & Tim Kituri to the Victoria & Esquimalt Police Board. They were sworn in at today's meeting. #yyj #esquimalt

board.jpeg

#2776 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 09:34 AM

Galloping Goose trail near Uptown closed after body found

Saanich police have closed a section of the Galloping Goose trail after discovering a person deceased in the area. 

Screenshot 2023-05-25 10.30.56.png

Police have closed the trail between the Switch Bridge — in the area of Carey Road and Ravine Way — and Darwin Avenue for a few hours, said police spokesman Const. Markus Anastasiades.

An update is expected later.

#2777 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 09:37 AM

I thought all these junkies mostly overdosed at home? That’s what we are told - every month.

#2778 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 09:47 AM

Police are investigating the death of a 15-year-old youth

North Cowichan/Duncan

2023-05-25 - File #2023-7540

The North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP is currently investigating the circumstances that led to the death of a 15-year-old female youth in Duncan.

On May 15, 2023, The North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP initiated an investigation after they were contacted by BC Ambulance after a 15-year old girl was found in the 5300 block of Trans Canada Hwy in a semi-conscious state under suspicious circumstances. From the onset, this investigation has been led by the North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP General Investigation Section and treated with extreme priority and concern.

Unfortunately, the youth eventually passed away. Due the nature of how she was found, a fulsome investigation was initiated to determine the circumstances that led to the girl’s death, including a thorough scene assessment by the RCMP Forensic Identification Section and the BC Coroners Service, toxicology analysis and other medical examinations. As the deceased person is still protected under the Privacy Act, we are not in a position to provide any further information regarding her medical profile. A criminal investigation is ongoing.

We are grateful to those who have come forward to provide information to advance this investigation thus far says Inspector Chris Bear, Officer in Charge of the North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP. We also understand that this is a very emotional and difficult time for those affected by this tragedy.

While police can’t share further details to safeguard the integrity of this investigation, investigators are also aware of rumours and speculations circulating online about the possible cause of death. Police would like to remind the public to be prudent to appropriately source their information.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP at 250-748-5522.

Released by

Cpl. Alex Bérubé
District Advisory NCO (Media Relations)
Island District

#2779 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 09:49 AM

The police formerly said there was no foul play. Now they have backtracked.

And blamed the public for misinformation.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2023 - 09:50 AM.

#2780 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 05:47 PM

PORTION OF LOCHSIDE TRAIL CLOSED AFTER BODY DISCOVERED

May 25, 2023

On Thursday, May 25, 2023, just before 8 am, Saanich Police received a call about an unresponsive man underneath the bridge at the corner of Carey Road and Ravine Way. Officers attended and discovered that the man was deceased.

A portion of the Lochside Trail, from Darwin Road east toward the Switch Bridge at the Galloping Goose Trail, was closed until 12:30 pm while officers examined the scene.

The Major Crime Unit investigated this morning and has determined that the death of the man does not appear to be suspicious.

The BC Corner’s Service attended and will be conducting its own investigation.

File #2023-9298

Cst. Markus Anastasiades
Public Information & Communications Officer

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)