Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3331 replies to this topic

#761 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:03 PM

Yeah, that was my original post about this back when it was first raised. Seems to me Esquimalt already pays more than their fair share. If their calls are going up faster than the CoV, it's just balancing the scales a bit better. They should tell the police to ask again when the scales are actually balanced.

• Mattjvd likes this

#762 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:50 AM

This is a representation of VicPD's jurisdiction in Esquimalt. Note the very, very low level of criminality in the municipality compared to Victoria-proper (data for last week).

Also note that a large part of what we think of as Esquimalt is reserve land under RCMP jurisdiction and military land under Military Police jurisdiction.

I suspect Esquimalt is right to refuse the extra $94,000. The municipality represents 20% of the population but generates 11% of calls. There's room to grow yet.

Crime.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#763 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

But how does Victoria deal with this?  If they cut the police ask by just $94,000 do they tell Esq. that the new officers planned will never set foot in Esq.?  It's an odd situation.

Helps will write the cheque. 

#764 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

Well, we are doing this police budget thing wrong then.

What we should do is have a joint Esq./Vic council meeting.

hqdefault.jpg

Fire up the hiker guy with the music and each councillor has a button.  It walks up the scale... .25% police budget increase, then .50% increase, and then .75% increase etc.  Councillors hit their individual button where they want it to stop.  So you have 16 councillors/mayors.  When 8 have hit their button, the hiker guy stops, and that's where the Esquimalt and Victoria increase will be.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 February 2018 - 10:26 AM.

• Rob Randall, Nparker and todd like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#765 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

Perhaps having to hear that obnoxious TPIR yodeller will get council members to hit their buttons sooner rather than later.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#766 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:07 AM

Well, we are doing this police budget thing wrong then.

What we should do is have a joint Esq./Vic council meeting.

hqdefault.jpg

Fire up the hiker guy with the music and each councillor has a button.  It walks up the scale... .25% police budget increase, then .50% increase, and then .75% increase etc.  Councillors hit their individual button where they want it to stop.  So you have 16 councillors/mayors.  When 8 have hit their button, the hiker guy stops, and that's where the Esquimalt and Victoria increase will be.

That's from the Price Is Right Game show.

• Matt R. and todd like this

#767 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:59 PM

Did it take you 9 days to work that out?   :wave:

• Nparker, Matt R. and Cassidy like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#768 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

Did it take you 9 days to work that out?   :wave:

Especially after I posted this directly before:

"Perhaps having to hear that obnoxious TPIR yodeler will get council members to hit their buttons sooner rather than later."

• VicHockeyFan, Matt R. and Cassidy like this

#769 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:27 AM

“These are dogs with bloodlines that go back to generations of working dogs; the best dogs available anywhere.”

The dogs are exhaustively vetted, first in Europe and then upon their arrival in Canada.

Ah, OK, these are Nazi dogs!

New dogs from Germany join the local force

#770 Gipper

Gipper
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:18 AM

https://www.theglobe...rticle38085153/

Interesting article on underfunding and understaffing of the RCMP and the effect on local policing. The examples are mostly Lower Mainland but it's a similar situation over here.
  • David Bratzer likes this

#771 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

Cst. Ian Jordan's funeral procession to Christ Church Cathedral will be starting soon. It will be a big deal. The streetcleaners were already out giving Quadra a scrub, the fire department has two ladder trucks forming a huge arch with a four-storey Canadian flag hanging down, and there's a drone keeping an eye on everything.

Edited by Rob Randall, 19 April 2018 - 11:10 AM.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#772 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:13 AM

Cst. Ian Jordan's funeral procession to Christ Church Cathedral will be starting soon. It will be a big deal...

And the whole thing is going to impede my ability to walk home for lunch.

#773 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:22 AM

And the whole thing is going to impede my ability to walk home for lunch.

You've had 30 years to plan for this day.

• sebberry likes this

#774 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

At the time, Jordan was heading to a reported b&e at 1121 Fort which was a rooming house back then, now it's the site of the Zen condos.

Capture.JPG

#775 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

Quadra is now closed to traffic (at least at Pandora).

#776 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

^ ^ I thought it was a stereo shop, Atlas?

What is usually unreported now, it that it was a false alarm, both police were speeding to a site where they was no emergency, no crime, no danger.  Which makes it more sad.

• Rob Randall likes this

#777 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Quadra is now closed to traffic (at least at Pandora).

And now it is re-opened. 
(and I can go for lunch)

#778 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

I passed by the cathedral about 1:20. Many of the streets were closed off in the area. It was really something to see the big flag and all the personnel there. Very sad.

#779 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:03 PM

I agree it is very sad, I just don't know what was gained by keeping him artificially alive for 30 years.

Was this a religious thing or a pension thing, I don't know. But I would like to.

• sdwright.vic likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#780 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:27 AM

I agree it is very sad, I just don't know what was gained by keeping him artificially alive for 30 years.

Was this a religious thing or a pension thing, I don't know. But I would like to.

“Jorgensen said Jordan was not on life support and was breathing on his own.”

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ience-1.4620421

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Kilo95