• Please log in to reply
3331 replies to this topic

#801 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:31 PM

Instead of cutting back school liaison, VicPD could try cutting back some of their extra staffing at events like the marathon and TC 10k, the Paint In etc.   

Those are pretty sporadic events though and have a big reserve constable component to them. 

It's sad that youth crime prevention programs in public schools is being cut due to all the problems city council has invited to town. 

• mbjj, Midnightly and pennymurphy2000 like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#802 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:33 PM

...It's sad that youth crime prevention programs in public schools is being cut due to all the problems city council has invited to town. 

I bet the powers that be will swear there's no correlation between these things.  <_<

#803 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

Some powers that be think we're over policed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#804 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:18 PM

I'm really interested to see how Isitt's numbers will be in November.  I don't think anyone really expected him to throw so much support behind all the negativity that's plagued our city for the last few years. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#805 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

I'm really interested to see how Isitt's numbers will be in November...

As frightening as it may seem, I am willing to bet he continues to get more votes than any other candidate*. People recognize his name even if they don't remember why. The average voter, after all, is pretty ill-informed.

*someone please prove me wrong about this come October

• Wayne and pennymurphy2000 like this

#806 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:57 PM

By this does Isitt mean that we shouldn't be busting people for smoking dope, drinking in public, sleeping in parks, dealing in small quantities, etc or does he mean something more extreme?

#807 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 04:08 PM

https://vicpd.ca/sit...LIC POSTING.pdf

It's on the Boards agenda for the movement of six officers; no minutes yet but it was in-camera. I would really struggle to believe the Board was not involved.

Township of Esquimalt Mayor Barb Desjardins said Wednesday she was "extremely disappointed" by the decision to cut school liaison officers, adding that it came as a shock to city officials, educators and parents.

https://vancouverisl...ected-1.3902606

Edited by spanky123, 28 April 2018 - 04:08 PM.

#808 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 04:09 PM

By this does Isitt mean that we shouldn't be busting people for smoking dope, drinking in public, sleeping in parks, dealing in small quantities, etc or does he mean something more extreme?

I assume he is of the opinion that police oversight or response should be limited to serious criminality and not some of the things you note, which could be dealt with by social or outreach workers or not at all.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#809 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

Well one of the legacies of tent city was that it made a lot of us question how much of the police's actions were dictated to them from City Hall - which laws to enforce, which citizens were or were not subject to the law and so on.
  • spanky123, jonny, Love the rock and 3 others like this

#810 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

In case you're wondering why VicPD officers are having to be redeployed from school liaison duties.

Shouldn't the schools be required to provide funding for liaison officers?

• jonny likes this

#811 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

Several reports on Reddit that visitors to the VicPD website, particularly individual news releases, are being redirected to unrelated websites.  This seems to be occurring erratically for desktop and mobile users with some links working properly some of the time. 

#812 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:43 PM

Yup, had that happen yesterday through a link posted in a VicPD Twitter post.

Know it all.

#813 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:59 AM

Not sure if this is the right thread, but...

http://www.timescolo...tres-1.23297205

Currently, traffic officers use telephoto lenses to take photos or long-range binoculars to put eyes on a driver using a cellphone, said retired Victoria police traffic officer Andy Dunstan.

It’s not always possible to photograph a cellphone-wielding driver, Dunstan said, and he’s concerned the new technology will prompt judges to expect photographic evidence when a ticket is disputed.

“If I say I saw a gentleman without a seat belt, it’s disputable by the driver but it should carry some weight [in court] because I’m a sworn officer, I’m sworn to tell the truth.”

I'm not sure we are living in the world Mr. Dunstan retired from.

I'm all for nailing distracted drivers to the wall, but I also think that evidence is important when establishing guilt.

#814 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:07 PM

The Shell station on Quadra and Falmouth is cordoned off and there was a huge traffic jam around  3:45 when we got stuck in it.

Half a dozen police vehicles.

#815 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:18 PM

CHEK's Twitter says a car hit a power pole and the road is now open.

#816 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:26 PM

So the power pole was blocking the road until it was hit?

(Can’t add the smiley banana on mobile)

Know it all.

#817 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:31 PM

So the power pole was blocking the road

"I NOT BLOCKING ROAD"

13276513_web1_180828-VNE-Zmuda4-1200x800

• Mike K., Nparker and Matt R. like this

#818 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:32 PM

:banana:

#819 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:55 PM

There's that banana.

• todd likes this

Know it all.

#820 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:05 PM

CHEK's Twitter says a car hit a power pole.

The last time that happened it started WWII. 

No it's not my line, but it got delivered to me one upon a time

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users