Photo

Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
844 replies to this topic

#841 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 808 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:46 PM

The stats are for 2016. Do you think Elsner costs are included?

#842 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:11 PM

I'm sure it does too. But the surrounding municipalities are large enough for their own downtowns which attract the riff raff. It's not all focused on one small centre for the entire region.

This.

And Vancouver has massive residential areas.

VicPD's case load, criminal charges are both on a steady increase.

However, the official explanation for the need for more - one which I genuinely believe - is that the complexity of cases is increasing with new-ish Provincial policies on numerous file types, and changes in the speed at which criminal matters need to be resolved on account of case law that's existed for a couple years now. The continued downloading of mental health outreach isn't helping either.

Edited by 57WestHills, 08 November 2018 - 08:12 PM.

• sebberry likes this

#843 Gipper

Gipper
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:01 PM

This.

And Vancouver has massive residential areas.

VicPD's case load, criminal charges are both on a steady increase.

However, the official explanation for the need for more - one which I genuinely believe - is that the complexity of cases is increasing with new-ish Provincial policies on numerous file types, and changes in the speed at which criminal matters need to be resolved on account of case law that's existed for a couple years now. The continued downloading of mental health outreach isn't helping either.

Yeah, every time the crime rate ticks down, the Province, or Courts, impose new requirements that make investigations more difficult and time consuming. We work fewer cases than when I started but they're all more complex and time consuming.

Latest example - the BC Supreme Court just informed us we now need to get a warrant before requesting a passport photo from the federal government. This used to be something we just did routinely with a memo and signature from a senior officer. Now it will require a document that takes minimum several hours (for a simple case) to a week or two (for a complex case) to complete.

If we were still dealing with the crime rate from the 80s and 90s we'd be totally paralysed.
  • Sparky and Bingo like this

#844 jonny

jonny
  • 8,385 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:04 PM

Massive VicPD response to something at around 6:30. Saw at least 10 cruisers responding very fast towards the Rock Bay area maybe?

#845 spanky123

spanky123
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:24 AM

Yeah, every time the crime rate ticks down, the Province, or Courts, impose new requirements that make investigations more difficult and time consuming. We work fewer cases than when I started but they're all more complex and time consuming.

Latest example - the BC Supreme Court just informed us we now need to get a warrant before requesting a passport photo from the federal government. This used to be something we just did routinely with a memo and signature from a senior officer. Now it will require a document that takes minimum several hours (for a simple case) to a week or two (for a complex case) to complete.

If we were still dealing with the crime rate from the 80s and 90s we'd be totally paralysed.

Or just get their photo from social media without any paperwork :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.