Photo

Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3331 replies to this topic

#901 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:26 PM

^^ Commercial property owners pay triple the tax rate than do residences so the city does benefit from commerce.

They just don’t spend it wisely.

Absolutely.

The "population of 85k policing a metro area of 400k" nonsense doesn't hold water when you think about the huge commercial property tax base the CoV literally sits on top of.

#902 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:31 PM

Sirens non stop all evening... trying to look busy?

#903 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,998 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:38 PM

saanich gets the job done with $33M.  victoria uses $54M.

#904 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:19 PM

Absolutely.

The "population of 85k policing a metro area of 400k" nonsense doesn't hold water when you think about the huge commercial property tax base the CoV literally sits on top of.

Quite the contrary. Victoria has to police the entertainment district for Greater Victoria, and it should have the funds to do so, based on the commercial property tax base. The broken link is the willingness of CoV council to do so. The commercial tax base doesn't refute the need to have extra police coverage, it confirms the ability to pay for it. 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#905 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:52 AM

The whole "policing the entertainment district" is ridiculously overstated.

Having worked in that area of endeavour right here in Victoria for the past 40 years, my own eyes tell me that the entertainment district is (on most nights) no different than walking around Uptown, downtown Sidney, or the main drag in Langford.

There's an occasional issue (as there is everywhere), but generally speaking, references to the COV "entertainment district" as being some sort of wild west show are a compete and total red herring.

Edited by Cassidy, 16 February 2019 - 06:53 AM.

• jonny likes this

#906 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,998 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:01 AM

i think that's correct too for almost all hours.  i've never seen the police in garricks head or irish times or darcy's or the local. the very few remaining nightclubs we have might be a bit more right at closing.  what do we have 3?  district upstairs and the country saloon.  we certainly have 4 or 5 less than we had 10 years ago.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 February 2019 - 07:03 AM.

• Cassidy likes this

#907 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:16 AM

Rather amused to see a regular tweeting now of crime stats from VicPD, now.

#908 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:18 AM

Rather amused to see a regular tweeting now of crime stats from VicPD, now.

They're short staffed, you see, but have more than enough time to operate social media channels. 

#909 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:28 AM

They're short staffed, you see, but have more than enough time to operate social media channels. 

I imagine administrative staff maintain social media and so there is little-to-no relation to staffing levels among law enforcement officers.

#910 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:32 AM

I don't have a problem with that - it'd be like complaining that they have people available to answer the phones.

More just amused how we used to get info, via the maps and all, but that disappeared when Tent City popped up and it was like pulling teeth to find out what was going on... but boom, cut the budget and suddenly we get to find out about all the crime that previously apparently wasn't a problem before ... with a particular emphasis it seems now on the violent crime that should help to generate some fear in the populace and reinforce the idea that Victoria is turning into a roiling cesspit of violent offenders.

Just amused by the timing of this sudden transparency.

• spanky123 and Victoria Watcher like this

#911 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,998 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:35 AM

it's glaring overkill now.

#912 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

...Just amused by the timing of this sudden transparency.

And like the deafening silence regarding crime incidents during the tent city mess and the Elsner debacle I would imagine this sudden transparency is coming directly from the top (and I don't mean the Chief of Police).

• rmpeers likes this

#913 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:49 AM

I imagine administrative staff maintain social media and so there is little-to-no relation to staffing levels among law enforcement officers.

Administrative vs officer salary money all comes from the same Vic PD budget. If you're doing one thing, it means you're not doing something else. 

#914 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:56 AM

The police department has a civilian administrative staff.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#915 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,998 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:58 AM

The police department has a civilian administrative staff.

all police salaries - officers and civilians - are paid from the police budget.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 February 2019 - 11:59 AM.

• jonny likes this

#916 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:10 PM

all police salaries - officers and civilians - are paid from the police budget.

While that is true, I do not believe anyone has claimed there is a shortage of civilian staff or to the best of my knowledge has requested additional civilian staff, so this cost has remained constant. If the VicPD chooses to reduce civilian staff or reallocate funds from this area to cover alleged budget shortfalls for officers, then that is a different matter. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#917 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:24 PM

While that is true, I do not believe anyone has claimed there is a shortage of civilian staff or to the best of my knowledge has requested additional civilian staff, so this cost has remained constant. If the VicPD chooses to reduce civilian staff or reallocate funds from this area to cover alleged budget shortfalls for officers, then that is a different matter. 

I think you'd find that the "civilian staff" probably do 75% of the actual work of the VicPD.

If it's like most relatively expensive public bureaucracies (Fire, Police, Ambulance, Military), when you take the civilian staff out of the picture, the entire operation stops functioning ... or worse, it falls completely apart.

#918 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:30 PM

Administrative vs officer salary money all comes from the same Vic PD budget. If you're doing one thing, it means you're not doing something else.

^I am more then aware that the police budget pays both administrative and officer salaries.

The qouted post above made it sound as if officers are doing administrative stuff.

One of the first things that was promised to be cut was civilian staff. Which means officers will have to start doing that work, instead of policing.

#919 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,998 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:40 PM

One of the first things that was promised to be cut was civilian staff. Which means officers will have to start doing that work, instead of policing.

the immediate reaction by the chief was that the public would be "less safe".  less safe because of a cut of civilian staff?

#920 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:47 PM

No because of officers not being out on patrols because now they have to do all the departments administrative duties.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users