Photo

Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3317 replies to this topic

#921 Gipper

Gipper
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:44 AM

I think you'd find that the "civilian staff" probably do 75% of the actual work of the VicPD.

Tell me where you got that figure?

#922 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:32 PM

Another series of tweets related to calls and responses have been made. I’ve never seen so much social media activity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#923 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,929 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:39 PM

they are doing some type of a tweet-along this weekend.

#924 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:41 PM

Another series of tweets related to calls and responses have been made. I’ve never seen so much social media activity.

Good for them. Too bad they didn't bother when it counted.

• Daveyboy likes this

#925 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

Oh, there was a lot of social media activity before Tent City.

Buy me enough drinks, and I'd probably make up some kind of conspiracy theory that the Mayor, now that she's been thwarted in her plans, has let the social media team off the leash it's been on since then.

• rmpeers likes this

#926 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 06:50 PM

Vicpd’s social media activity before tent city?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#927 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:40 AM

The Province has intervened in the Victoria police staffing matter. 

Victoria and Esquimalt have been ordered by the province to hire six new police officers. They weren’t hired last year because of budget cuts...

https://www.timescol...cers-1.23648379

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#928 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:53 AM

Jesus why don't they understand that criminals aren't bad people and that arresting them is just a form of marginalization??

We have more important things to do with our money, like rewarding police chiefs who sexually harass their staff and then spending more money on the cover-up. Priorities, for goodness' sake.
  • Nparker, Love the rock, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#929 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:57 AM

Also, coming out of Pink Shirt Day, a shout out to the brave councillors who defended Elsner's victims and spoke out to condemn to Mayor's actions. Similarly, kudos to all those who voiced their pro-harassment stance by voting the mayor back in.

It's cool as long as it didn't happen to you, right?
  • Mike K., sdwright.vic, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#930 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,929 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

But in their letter, to be considered by councillors today, Desjardins and Helps note that requiring the police department to absorb the additional cost of the employer health tax without any specific additional funding “is inconsistent with the approach taken by council with respect to all other city departments.”

#931 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,929 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:42 PM

Desjardins said she was disappointed with the decision, but heartened that Enger wants some of the new resources to be dedicated to Esquimalt.
“I’m disappointed because we feel in Esquimalt that we don’t need that extra person.

However, I’m very happy that it has been recognized that the Framework Agreement is imperative to follow and that it has not been upheld,” she said.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2019 - 04:42 PM.

#932 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,929 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:44 PM

Saanich council cuts back budget lift for police

Chief Constable Bob Downie sees department on unsustainable path, cites Buziak case to defend budget

https://www.vicnews....ift-for-police/

Addressing the issue of departmental fairness, Downie said his department is not competing for resources with other departments.

He said provincial legislation requires council to provide Saanich police with adequate resources. What is “adequate” lies in the “eye of the beholder” (council) or provincial authorities, he said, in raising the possibility that Saanich police could take their funding requests to the provincial government for review.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 March 2019 - 04:44 PM.

#933 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,929 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:03 PM

https://www.vicnews....ont-be-layoffs/

Victoria Police Chief responds to email he sent assuring staff there won’t be layoffs

Chief Const. Del Manak said more information has come forward since the original message was sent

#934 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,929 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:01 AM

A lot of good points here.

Municipal taxpayers need clarification from the province following a recent ruling that forced Victoria and Esquimalt to hire six more police officers.

A decision by Tonia Enger, the Acting Director of Police Services, was finally delivered Feb. 26 in the middle of VicPD budget  deliberations following a dispute between the two municipalities dating back to September 2017.

"The ruling says that proactive and preventative crime prevention work by police - such as mental health and addictions outreach teams - is now a necessity and not an option for municipalities," says Stan Bartlett, chair of Grumpy Taxpayer$ of Greater Victoria.

It appears this interpretation will result in mission creep and the need for additional tax dollars from municipalities and raises various important questions.

"Who is paying for these broader services ordered outside a policing and law enforcement mandate, the province or the municipal taxpayer? Who is in charge of police budgets now, the province or the municipal council and police board? Is this another egregious case of provincial downloading of social and health services to the municipal taxpayer?" asks Bartlett.

http://grumpytaxpaye...icing-decision/

Recall that the saanich chief also threatened to go to the province to get a higher budget.

Downie acknowledged that the police department budget exists within a larger financial context, whose final shape remains at the timing and discretion of council. But he also left open the possibility that the department could take its case to provincial authorities if council said no the budget, and the response of the provincial in the Victoria-Esquimalt case suggests that the province has an open ear.

https://www.saanichn...unding-demands/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 March 2019 - 08:07 AM.

#935 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,929 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:57 AM

‪Yes, Oak Bay Police do house checks for vacationing residents‬

‪Chief says the service helps them protect vulnerable properties, connect with the community.

https://www.vicnews....ing-residents/‬

#936 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,929 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:09 AM

City of Victoria asks B.C. to set up a regional police force

https://www.timescol...orce-1.23671686

#937 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:46 AM

Victoria *really* doesn't like being in the policing business, does it?  

I feel for the VicPD members who have to put up with all this nonsense.  

• rmpeers likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#938 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:53 AM

Victoria *really* doesn't like being in the policing business, does it?

I feel for the VicPD members who have to put up with all this nonsense.

They are happy to be in the policing business until they screw it up and then they want everyone else to pay for it. Reminds me of when Helps tried to get others to chip into the Mac and Royal theatres when they were running huge deficits.

As much as I think that this makes sense, I can’t see others wanting to wade into this mess as long as we have a “bring it on” attitude towards unlawfulness and a desire to experiment with social policies at the expense of the broader community.

Edited by spanky123, 22 March 2019 - 06:55 AM.

• sdwright.vic, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#939 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:37 AM

...As much as I think that this makes sense, I can’t see others wanting to wade into this mess as long as we have a “bring it on” attitude towards unlawfulness and a desire to experiment with social policies at the expense of the broader community.

Bingo.

#940 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:22 AM

They are happy to be in the policing business until they screw it up and then they want everyone else to pay for it. Reminds me of when Helps tried to get others to chip into the Mac and Royal theatres when they were running huge deficits.

As much as I think that this makes sense, I can’t see others wanting to wade into this mess as long as we have a “bring it on” attitude towards unlawfulness and a desire to experiment with social policies at the expense of the broader community.

I support a Regional Police force 100%. What we have now is functionally insane. Integrate fire services and recreation centers while they are at it. 

The great thing is if we have a regional police force, the CoV will have only a fraction of the say. 

Edit: I'm not sure I support 100% integration between all 13 municipalities, but I would go so far as to integrate: Saanich, Victoria, Esquimalt, Oak Bay, View Royal, Colwood, Langford and Highlands. 

Edited by jonny, 22 March 2019 - 08:26 AM.

• tedward and thundergun like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)