• Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:52 AM

VicPD:

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 10.49.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 10.50.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 10.53.26 AM.png

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1042 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:07 AM

don’t animated gifs simply get more views?

#1043 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

It's easy to cherry pick this kind of content, but the overwhelming majority of all local PDs social media posts (aside from Oak Bay) are fairly standard professional posts. That being said, this kind of content also targets a different audience, so it's nice to see local police engaging with that demographic and showing a bit of humor.

• tedward likes this

#1044 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:25 AM

What I'm saying is the prevalence of this sort of "communication" is on the rise. I don't think it's appropriate, but that's just me.

Who knows what's going on in Oak Bay but they're normalizing that style of posting, clearly, with VicPD starting to dabble in it. I have noticed that they've pulled back in recent weeks, though, so either they've come to realize what they're doing is overboard, or they've been asked to stop.

Edited.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1045 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:29 AM

Fair enough. I'm more in line with the VicPD approach, where the odd post like this once a week or every couple of weeks is a good bit of content diversification and more broadly engages the demographic that VicPD serves (i.e. every demographic). That being said, I think most would agree that Oak Bay is out of hand with their approach being essentially 100% memes and gifs.

• Mike K. likes this

#1046 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:09 PM

I don't even own a television Twitter account.

So as far as I'm concerned it's the police using the service at all that's the embarrassment.

<grumpy noises>

#1047 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:41 PM

The Oak Bay Police back in the days of our they had the image of a saltine cracker. That seems to have changed at least on the cosmetic outside as far as I can tell and possibly for multiple reasons. I may have said at the beginning “what is this the reno 911 twitter page” but I do quite like it very professional humour.

Who do you think the coolest police department is?

#1048 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

...Who do you think the coolest police department is?

Reno or Mayberry.

• Rob Randall and todd like this

#1049 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:13 PM

These kinds of social media posts are utterly childish.

They're coming from folks who are suposedly law enforcement professionals, 100% supported by tax dollars.

Memes and efforts to be "hip" online ring as thirsty and lame ... a total waste of time and money.

With the entire region well on its way down the toilet from a law enforcement perspective, it's probably time they quit trying to be funny and got busy enforcing existing laws, and developing additional policy that actually reflects the wishes of the folks the live in the region.

#1050 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

VicPD

Just because the speed limit is 50, doesn't mean you have to drive 50.

I'll remember this next time I want to drive 60 in a 50 zone.  :banana:

#1051 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:30 PM

Oak Bay humour doesn’t always translate well outside of England.

#1052 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:40 PM

Reno or Mayberry.

Don’t get me wrong the Reno Police Department is an excellent police department great cousin was a prosecutor(or similar) down there.

https://youtu.be/Gd6ruQcgu9w

Edited by todd, 18 July 2019 - 02:58 PM.

#1053 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:29 PM

They're coming from folks who are suposedly law enforcement professionals, 100% supported by tax dollars.
Memes and efforts to be "hip" online ring as thirsty and lame ... a total waste of time and money.

With the entire region well on its way down the toilet from a law enforcement perspective, it's probably time they quit trying to be funny and got busy enforcing existing laws, and developing additional policy that actually reflects the wishes of the folks the live in the region.

Had a saltine cracker for lunch?
  • tedward likes this

#1054 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:34 PM

It’s unprofessional.

Know it all.

#1055 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

The youth crowd is also the target market, you have to remember. Back in my day we used to fear(or similar) the oak bay police department.

Edited by todd, 18 July 2019 - 04:00 PM.

#1056 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:07 PM

It’s unprofessional.

Why?
  • tedward likes this

#1057 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:33 PM

Makes me sometimes pine for the days - admittedly in the dinosaur age when "te-le-vi-sjun" was the primary medium for mass communication - but it was also the time when cops looked, acted and frankly were attired  oddly enough to look like.....cops. Kids respected the hell out of them and - you bet - we also had a healthy dose of fear of them that wasn't at all a bad thing. When a cop talked, especially to you, you listened. Or else.

So why do we insist on making them look like Fedex delivery people today? Are we that soft and gooey as a society that we can't handle the sight of a cop dressed, well....like a cop? Minus BTW the ludicrous forest of tattoos I spotted recently on an on-duty Saanich cop - I thought I'd momentarily been transported to a Cripps meeting in south central LA. The guy was in uniform and both arms from wrist to above the line of his short sleeves were completely covered in tattoos. WTF is that...? 

And what happened to the traditional peaked/cop hat? Why did I spot a motorcycle cop not long ago not wearing the leather boots normally worn by motorcycle cops for the last 100 years? Too reminiscent of Nazi jackboots? And therefore likely to offend the sensibilities of some of our more oh-so-sensitive citizens?

And why for that mater did I spot the same cop just today adorned with the scruffiest most unprofessional beard I've ever seen, cop or no cop. He'd give Paul Bunyan a run for this money. Or Brent Burns (inside joke for NHL fans...)

Back in the Good Old Days (in my grumpiest over 50 old man voice), :) the only cops who were permitted not to shave were those engaged in undercover activities. Otherwise, short hair ruled, and there were no silly handlebar mustaches or van dyke beards (or beards of any description), or sideburns "down to here". Clean shaven. And professional. I miss those guys......obviously, apparently, time has passed me by and I just don't get it.

I am also not on Twitter as I have far more interesting and productive things to do with my time, but reviewing some of the nonsensical fluff posted by cop social media channels above is a bit of a head-shaker. Communicate however you wish particularly to the under-25 set using whatever medium is currently in vogue but keep the messaging crisp, informative, timely, accurate and_always professional. You're cops, not Entertainment TV or the local music TV channel.

....oh can somebody please get more VicPD members out of their souped up black muscle cars and more engaged in another classic but effective cop activity from days of yore - namely foot patrols.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 18 July 2019 - 08:36 PM.

• Nparker, LJ and Lorenzo like this

#1058 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:54 PM

Wow

#1059 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:14 AM

"youth" are not on Twitter, you are and apparently way-over-50's. So.....tweets are geared to your age, badly, but to your age all the same and not youth. 

Edited by VIResident, 19 July 2019 - 05:16 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1060 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:19 AM

If the goal is maximum reach for each message than funny memes meets that goal.
  • tedward and todd like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users