Photo

Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3304 replies to this topic

#1301 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:04 PM

Which they are allowed to do. But every time I've seen it they slow down and make sure there is nobody in the intersection. This guy blew through even though he could see cars approaching. I don't get it.

And whatever caused him to do this, he unwittingly provided (unjustified) fodder for Isitt, Loveday and the DefundVicPD-ers.

#1302 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,783 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:20 PM

Four Victoria councillors are calling on police to end street checks and carding — identification checks. The councillors say the checks disproportionately affect Black and Indigenous communities, people of colour and people without homes.

“We heard from Indigenous, Black and other communities of colour, the unhoused people for years about how their communities have been targeted by carding and street checks,” Coun. Sharmarke Dubow told the Times Colonist. “This discriminatory practice needs to end.”

https://www.timescol...ecks-1.24169786

#1303 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:45 PM

Four Victoria councillors are calling on police to end street checks and carding — identification checks. The councillors say the checks disproportionately affect Black and Indigenous communities, people of colour and people without homes.

“We heard from Indigenous, Black and other communities of colour, the unhoused people for years about how their communities have been targeted by carding and street checks,” Coun. Sharmarke Dubow told the Times Colonist. “This discriminatory practice needs to end.”

https://www.timescol...ecks-1.24169786

So... far be it from me to question the ideas of Loveday, Isitt, etc, but... um, shouldn't the police have some ability to stop someone who they think might be up to something?
Understand me, I would never suggest that our councillors are specifically taking steps to encourage crime as much as they can, because that would be outrageous, but I would like to hear more about how this would work.
  • Nparker likes this

#1304 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:51 PM

Wanna bet this motion passes 7-1? I am counting down the days until I can move out of the CoV.

• GaryRanson likes this

#1305 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 04:26 PM

Defund CoV Council! 

• Nparker and GaryRanson like this

#1306 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 04:31 PM

Wanna bet this motion passes 7-1? I am counting down the days until I can move out of the CoV.

How many other residents and business owners are thinkIng of moving .
I’ve started the process to move out of COV myself. 
The struggle for me just isn’t worth the BS.

• Nparker and GaryRanson like this

#1307 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:00 PM

She's like an octopus, her tentacles spread far and wide (sorry Todd)

Helps.jpg

#1308 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:03 PM

Did these letters go out to every other municipality?

And is there a “received” date by NSaan?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1309 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:23 PM

She has 12 full time PR people and a 'chief strategy officer'. Have to keep them all busy.

#1310 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:25 PM

Of course if you read the article and report it clearly states that people of colour are LESS likely to be stopped than whites statistically and FN only marginally more and certainly within the measurement error of what you would expect.

Nevertheless the process is racist.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1311 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:06 PM

Helps.jpg

Hmmm I’d like to see the source and methodology for the stats she quotes...

Also note that she says that staff are working at finding more sites in the city of Victoria for more homeless housing.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 14 July 2020 - 06:08 PM.

• Tailor likes this

#1312 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:10 PM

How many other residents and business owners are thinkIng of moving .
I’ve started the process to move out of COV myself.
The struggle for me just isn’t worth the BS.

May I ask where you are going to? Asking because I’m seriously thinking of packing out too but don’t know where to go...

#1313 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:37 PM

May I ask where you are going to? Asking because I’m seriously thinking of packing out too but don’t know where to go...

A Girl Is No one . Saanich if all goes well ,Maplewood Area .

#1314 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:11 AM

A Girl Is No one . Saanich if all goes well ,Maplewood Area .

Yes that’s nice. Good for you. Thanks for the inspiration. It’s good to know there are possibilities outside of COV. 😁

Edited by A Girl is No one, 15 July 2020 - 08:11 AM.

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#1315 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:42 AM

Did these letters go out to every other municipality?

And is there a “received” date by NSaan?

I don't know if they went to other municipalities. NSaan met on 13 th july and you can view the discussion of it by video. Quite amusing as the council say they will send a letter supporting Helps but theres no space in NSAan for this type of housing.

Helps2.jpg

#1316 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:49 AM

...theres no space in NSAan for this type of housing.

Everything should be in central Vic city because there's no space anywhere else in Greater Victoria.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#1317 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:58 AM

VicPD responds to the questions about street checks and carding with an extensive report:

https://vicpd.ca/por...kjcf1SQjw8koNdc

#1318 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:15 PM

^ This is the report I referred to earlier. Council stated that street checks target persons of colour and FN unfairly and disproportionally. The evidence clearly shows otherwise. 

Either council had forgotten the contents of the report or they intentionally lied to the public in order to get street checks dropped on false pretences.

Edited by spanky123, 15 July 2020 - 03:15 PM.

• rmpeers likes this

#1319 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

...Either council had forgotten the contents of the report or they intentionally lied to the public in order to get street checks dropped on false pretences.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was the latter in order to fit their SJW agenda. It certainly wouldn't be the first time members of this council deliberately misconstrued facts in order to achieve their results.

• mbjj and rmpeers like this

#1320 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,783 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:22 PM

before today had anyone ever heard the term “street checks” in relation to Victoria policing?

i’d suggest no.

dubow needs to be voted out of office. he’s a disgrace.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 July 2020 - 03:23 PM.

• mbjj and Spy Black like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users