Photo

Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3331 replies to this topic

#1321 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:26 PM

...dubow needs to be voted out of office. he’s a disgrace.

To be fair, he doesn't really know any better. It's not as though he is allowed to think for himself. He's really just another TV* victim.

*Tyranny Victoria.

• newbie_01 likes this

#1322 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:47 PM

^ This is the report I referred to earlier. Council stated that street checks target persons of colour and FN unfairly and disproportionally. The evidence clearly shows otherwise.

Either council had forgotten the contents of the report or they intentionally lied to the public in order to get street checks dropped on false pretences.

Whether deliberately or not, it increasingly feels like everything this council does is designed to help criminals.
  • Nparker likes this

#1323 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:55 PM

Wanna bet this motion passes 7-1? I am counting down the days until I can move out of the CoV.

Of course it will pass. The whole Together Victoria scam was presumably designed to ensure that no motion -however ridiculous - could pass easily.

So when this passes, could this actually lead somehow to the cessation of these checks?

Like, I'm wondering how much power mayor and council have to ensure criminals have free reign in this city? And are there any crimes they don't like? Would murder, for example, be cool as long as they feel it serves their politically agenda? This is where we are at, that I am forced to wonder such things....

#1324 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:54 PM

Council can ask VicPD to stop the checks, but they’re not obliged to do it.

Victoria is also not the only municipality controlling VicPD’s budget.
  • rmpeers and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1325 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:15 PM

So we have UVIC and UBC activism "research" being referenced by Together Victoria.  Can we see how much money is flowing from the individuals involved to the TV re-election campaign?

Can we see how much money is flowing to the activism branches of these Universities and what country it is coming from?

Edited by On the Level, 15 July 2020 - 10:16 PM.

#1326 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:32 PM

What activism branch?

#1327 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:56 PM

What activism branch?

https://www.uvic.ca/...socialjustice//

Through minor and diploma options, we provide students with a thorough understanding of the range of ways in which scholars, researchers and activists address and engage with issues surrounding social injustices and initiatives promoting social justice in the contemporary world.T

Edited by On the Level, 15 July 2020 - 10:57 PM.

#1328 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:59 PM

Creative action projects demonstrate how media and art affect social justice

What: Student media projects on social justice issues
Who: Cultural Studies and Art History students at UBC Okanagan
When: Friday, February 27, 7 to 8:30 p.m.
Where: Alternator Centre for Contemporary Art, 421 Cawston Avenue, Kelowna

How can we broaden our everyday assumptions about activism to generate meaningful strategies for positive social change? What role can art play in fostering innovative forms of resistance? To answer these questions, students came up with their own “creative action” projects.

#1329 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:03 PM

Critical Insurrections: Decolonizing Difficulties, Activist Imaginaries, and Collective Possibilities

#1330 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:04 PM

Defund UVIC and UBC

• Nparker, LJ, GaryRanson and 4 others like this

#1331 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 04:34 AM

What are we supposed to do?....leave?

Where are we supposed to go?....

This is getting tiresome. We are all settlers on this planet. Stop blaming me for my ancestor’s flight from tyranny.
  • Mike K., LJ, grantpalin and 3 others like this

#1332 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:07 AM

I had to look up the word praxis. It means accepted practice, separate from a theory.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1333 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:07 AM

What activism branch?

Poly sci group.

#1334 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:33 AM

Today the TC published an article stating that Del Manak was supportive of a Cohoots like program being started in Victoria.  https://www.timescol...ases-1.24171156

Here is another one of my extremely insightful predictions. Del Manak is not thinking that the police force budget should be reduced to pay for this additional service.

#1335 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:31 AM

He is only 66, but Const. Murray Bayles can still remember the days when he had to wind up the police siren while driving in an RCMP cruiser.

At the age of 21, he was a guy that thrived off of humour in his everyday life. Fast forward to now and he’s well-known throughout the West Shore and Greater Victoria for his steady supply of light-hearted jokes, a superpower in a workplace that is surrounded with stress, grief and trauma.

“I probably survived this long because of my sarcasm,” said Bayles, fresh off his retirement farewell after 45 years in the service in late June.

https://www.vicnews....after-45-years/

Bayles decided it was time to take off his badge after passing the recommended retirement age of 60. He was granted extensions year after year, but at the age of 66, he has dreams of developing a duplex out in Sooke in the fall.

congrats on the retirement.  he must really like the job to have held off retirement so long.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 July 2020 - 06:33 AM.

#1336 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:36 PM

Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board Extends Chief Manak’s Term Until 2024

Victoria, BC – The Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board is pleased to announce the extension of Chief Del Manak’s term as Chief Constable of the Victoria Police Department until 2024.

The new contract will run from January 1st, 2021, to December 31st, 2024. Chief Manak previously served as Acting Chief Constable from December 2015 to June 2017, after which he was appointed Chief Constable in a contract with a term of July 1st, 2017, to December 31st, 2020.

During his tenure, Chief Manak has made employee well-being and mental health a top priority, as well as enhancing the department’s connections with its communities while charting a future course for the organization through the publication of VicPD’s new Strategic Plan A Safer Community Together.

“Chief Manak is a proven leader who has successfully led VicPD since 2015,” said Board co-chair Mayor Barbara Desjardins. “The Board is looking forward to continuing to work with Chief Manak as we collaboratively face the opportunities that lie ahead.”

“Chief Manak’s reappointment comes at a time with significant changes and challenges in policing,” said Board co-chair Mayor Lisa Helps. “I am happy that the Board has decided to reappoint Chief Manak at this time, as his thoughtful leadership around issues of diversity and inclusion will be really important for the police department and for the community as a whole.”

Know it all.

#1337 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:57 PM

Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board Extends Chief Manak’s Term Until 2024

Victoria, BC – The Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board is pleased to announce the extension of Chief Del Manak’s term as Chief Constable of the Victoria Police Department until 2024.

The new contract will run from January 1st, 2021, to December 31st, 2024. Chief Manak previously served as Acting Chief Constable from December 2015 to June 2017, after which he was appointed Chief Constable in a contract with a term of July 1st, 2017, to December 31st, 2020.

During his tenure, Chief Manak has made employee well-being and mental health a top priority, as well as enhancing the department’s connections with its communities while charting a future course for the organization through the publication of VicPD’s new Strategic Plan A Safer Community Together.

“Chief Manak is a proven leader who has successfully led VicPD since 2015,” said Board co-chair Mayor Barbara Desjardins. “The Board is looking forward to continuing to work with Chief Manak as we collaboratively face the opportunities that lie ahead.”

“Chief Manak’s reappointment comes at a time with significant changes and challenges in policing,” said Board co-chair Mayor Lisa Helps. “I am happy that the Board has decided to reappoint Chief Manak at this time, as his thoughtful leadership around issues of diversity and inclusion will be really important for the police department and for the community as a whole.”

What? No supportive quotes from Isitt and Dubow in the press release? Must be that there wasn't room. Or maybe Ben is going to issue his own press release praising the chief and his team. That's probably it...
  • aastra and GaryRanson like this

#1338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:09 PM

Manak has issued a statement:

Victoria, BC – Earlier this evening, the Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board announced that they have renewed my appointment as Chief Constable of the Victoria Police Department.

I am honoured and humbled by this decision.

The women and men of the Victoria Police Department have achieved so much since I was appointed Acting Chief in 2015, not because of me, but because they are some of the most talented, professional, caring, and compassionate people anyone could ever have the privilege of knowing.

And that is the most exciting part of this announcement for me: I now get to work alongside the women and men of VicPD, both officers and civilian staff, for another four years.

We have our work cut out for us. In my 27 years with VicPD, I have never seen our officers and staff as busy as they are today. And with increasing demands for policing services throughout Victoria and Esquimalt, I don’t see that trend reversing any time soon.

However, we have a plan. The work we need to do is clearly laid out in the three goals of our new strategic plan A Safer Community Together: support community safety, enhance public trust, and achieve organizational excellence. I am excited to work with our community, our Board and all divisions within VicPD to deliver on our new strategic plan over the next four years.

But my priority is to deliver the first-rate policing that our citizens expect in a way that is sustainable for the women and men of VicPD. We have to continue the open and honest conversations about the mental health of first responders and the ongoing toll that this work can take on all of us. We have to do better when it comes to protecting our people from operational stress injuries and helping them when they are affected by the demands of the job.

One factor that helps us immensely is the support we receive from the communities of Victoria and Esquimalt. Day after day, I gratefully receive your words of thanks for the work of my officers and staff. These expressions of appreciation remind us all why we come into work and why we serve our communities. I look forward to continuing to serve as your Chief Constable and as a representative of the women and men of the Victoria Police Department.

Finally, I would like to thank my family for their sacrifice, support and encouragement they provide me every day. They continually inspire me to be better at everything I do.

Know it all.

#1339 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:22 PM

The Edmonton Police Service unveiled a newly purchased $500,000 armoured vehicle Wednesday, along with a $370,000 truck that will be used as a mobile command post. 

The brand new Cambli Black Wolf will be used along with another armoured vehicle that was purchased in 2013 for $315,000. 

The new model is expected to be operational by next week. 

Toronto and Calgary are the only other two Canadian cities that have more than one armoured police vehicle. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...5727268?cmp=rss

black-wolf.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 September 2020 - 12:23 PM.

#1340 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:24 PM

What? No supportive quotes...

Political theatre doesn't make any allowance for breaking character. If you break character then people might catch on to how contrived it all is: heroes versus villains, this versus that, etc. It would be much more difficult to divide people and sustain the various crises and controversies.

That's the difference between politics and real life. In real life there are no platforms, no assigned roles, no pre-packaged positions & reactions, no intellectual and emotional constraints, no gate-keeping, no overly reductive false choices. Real life involves genuine interactions between individuals.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users