#1341 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:25 PM

Mike K will be happy: https://www.saanichn...police-twitter/

Snippet:

Oak Bay chief puts an end to dad jokes on police Twitter

No more jokes on Oak Bay Police Twitter account

The man behind what might be the most playful and active police Twitter account in Canada is taking his dad jokes to his personal account.

Newly appointed Chief Ray Bernoties will still use the Oak Bay Police Department Twitter account. But after years of mostly positive feedback, he’s seen enough negative feedback from dissenters and will shift the department’s main account to a bare bones, business-like use of social media.

Edited by gstc84, 22 September 2020 - 12:25 PM.

#1342 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:38 PM

Here’s the Twitter post: Despite opposition, I've decided to create a personal account to be able to share my views, etc without anyone bashing this organization or our incredible members. Our official account will be a little more 'predictable'. But if you can handle bad dad jokes follow me @ray_oak

This is a good move.
  • Redd42 and max.bravo like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1343 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:10 AM

Twitter has suspended the Oak Bay Police Chief's personal account. I guess they gave it more rope when it was an official police account.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1344 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:42 AM

This was a post on his personal account, accompanied by a gif of Reno 911's Lt. Dangle. I'm not sure what's controversial about it unless there were other posts that were deleted.

Welcome to my personal account & thanks for following! The party isn't stopping, we just switched houses. Cops must've showed up! :) Actually, I take my work very seriously, I just don't take myself that serious. That's how many of us survive in a biz that can be very negative.

Edited by Rob Randall, 23 September 2020 - 10:44 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1345 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:45 AM

Who knows what happened or how it happened, but an algorithm was tripped. There’s no dude sitting around monitoring 50 million conversations.

Know it all.

#1346 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:55 AM

The HarbourCats tell me their Facebook page is currently locked down. They have no idea why.

Know it all.

#1347 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:26 PM

Chief for his Twitter account back.

But with zero followers. I guess @jack got the last laugh. Crazy stuff, eh?

Know it all.

#1348 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:17 PM

Chief for his Twitter account back.
But with zero followers. I guess @jack got the last laugh. Crazy stuff, eh?

If his account was just suspended wouldn’t that mean that those followers were not legitimate? Or this would be a brand new account?

#1349 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:26 PM

Good question. Maybe what triggered it is tons of people simultaneously become followers, and that looks like a scam/click bait from the POV of Twitter’s algorithms.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

#1350 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:29 PM

This was a post on his personal account, accompanied by a gif of Reno 911's Lt. Dangle. I'm not sure what's controversial about it unless there were other posts that were deleted.

Reno 911 has got to be one of my top five favourite shows

Edited by todd, 23 September 2020 - 04:30 PM.

#1351 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:11 PM

Good question. Maybe what triggered it is tons of people simultaneously become followers, and that looks like a scam/click bait from the POV of Twitter’s algorithms.

If he wants to get them back: https://buycheapfoll...tter-followers/

#1352 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,799 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:50 AM

no gaps in frank elsner's resume.  but it also does not mention he was our police chief ever.

https://ca.linkedin....p-mpa-85314912a

#1353 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:45 AM

Hopefully people will Google him rather than taking his CV at face value...

"Former Victoria police chief Frank Elsner will never wear a police uniform in Canada again...his service record will now show that he committed eight acts of misconduct under the Police Act which would have resulted in his dismissal from policing."

"Former Victoria top cop 'caught in a web of lies' fending off complaints from female officers..."

#1354 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:39 AM

no gaps in frank elsner's resume.  but it also does not mention he was our police chief ever.

[url=https://ca.linkedin.com/in/frank-elsner-cpp-abcp-mpa-85314912a]https://ca.linkedin....-85314912a[/url

Does anyone actually get hired off linkedin? isn’t that a fungus that grows on a tree?

#1355 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:12 PM

Joint Victoria & Esquimalt Police Board/Councils Meeting Live Broadcast Today At 5 p.m.

Date: Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Victoria, BC – Today’s meeting of the Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board and the Councils of Victoria and Esquimalt will be live broadcast today on our VicPD Canada YouTube account. The meeting, which will focus on the 2021 Provisional VicPD budget, will start at 5 p.m.

You can join the meeting here at 5 p.m.  : https://www.youtube....pdcanada/videos

#1356 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,799 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:06 PM

The Victoria Police Department’s provisional budget for 2021 does not meet the department’s needs to address the root causes of crime, the police chief says.

The Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board is requesting a budget of just over $59 million in 2021, which reflects an increase of 1.5 per cent over last year’s budget. The department reduced an earlier request by nearly $800,000 to meet the expectations of Victoria and Esquimalt councils, which are ­seeing decreased revenue during the pandemic. The 2020 budget saw an increase of 4.4 per cent over the ­previous year.

The top factors driving the budget increase are pay and benefits increases, overtime costs, and software licensing to upgrade Microsoft Office.

https://www.timescol...hief-1.24220779

#1357 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:08 PM

The top factors driving the budget increase are pay and benefits increases, overtime costs, and software licensing to upgrade Microsoft Office.

Are they getting tired of Clippy?  

Capture.JPG

• Nparker, Matt R. and rmpeers like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1358 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:14 PM

Does clippy still exist? Don't think I've seen it since the late 90s?

#1359 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,799 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:25 AM

The Victoria Police Department’s provisional budget for 2021 does not meet the department’s needs to address the root causes of crime, the police chief says.

somehow i doubt police were sufficiently correcting the root causes of crime by the late 70's.

but the "root cause" of most street crime in victoria is the large influx of criminals that we have welcomed with fairly open arms. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 October 2020 - 03:27 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1360 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:45 AM

... the "root cause" of most street crime in victoria is the large influx of criminals that we have welcomed with fairly open arms. 

Correction, most vulnerable criminals.

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users