Photo

Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3305 replies to this topic

#1361 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:07 AM

Coun. Sarah Potts argued against removing the acronym while those talks are ongoing.  

“I know it is hurtful for some, but … we are talking about systemic racism and our part in that history and what we can do to make it better.”

So calling Moms and Dads bastards is making things better?  I expect nothing less from Sarah Potts.

https://www.timescol...ural-1.24221659

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#1362 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:20 AM

The Victoria Police Department’s provisional budget for 2021 does not meet the department’s needs to address the root causes of crime

Heck, I'd be willing to chip in a few extra bucks if that's what it would take to quash organized crime and Hollywood's relentless glamorization of drugs, guns, bank robberies, smuggling, car theft, and criminal activity in general. Not to mention all of those new-age government programs that aim to soften attitudes about theft, vandalism, drug-dealing, pimping and prostitution, etc.

Or is that not what he was talking about?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1363 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:25 AM

The police chief said he would like to have ­officers in schools and create a crime reduction unit that would target prolific offenders.

No time to look it up, but when did that narrative really gain traction re: a large percentage of crime is perpetrated by a tiny percentage of repeat offenders? And yet we're still talking about it all these years later as if it's some new discovery.

#1364 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,998 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:39 AM

So calling Moms and Dads bastards is making things better?  I expect nothing less from Sarah Potts.

https://www.timescol...ural-1.24221659

I don't see the problem here. The City had a contract with a 3rd party to paint an approved design for a mural for $5,000. The 3rd party, on their own and without consultation, decided to paint something other than what was approved. 

Lets assume for a moment, that City council or staff paid a contractor to come in and paint a room in their house blue but the contractor painted it orange.  Would they hire consultants to negotiate a solution that all parties were happy with or would they simply say either paint it blue or give me my money back and if you do neither then we will never do business with you again and tell all my friends what an a**hole you are?

Edited by spanky123, 16 October 2020 - 07:39 AM.

• Nparker, Matt R., Lorenzo and 4 others like this

#1365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:43 AM

Councillor Isitt labelled the Captain Cook statue offensive, and asked city staff to remove it. Staff told him it’s on GVHA land, not municipal land.
  • grantpalin, On the Level and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1366 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:52 AM

Councillor Isitt labelled the Captain Cook statue offensive, and asked city staff to remove it...

Comrade Isitt is offensive. I am asking to have him removed.

• GaryRanson, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#1367 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,998 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:43 AM

Comrade Isitt is offensive. I am asking to have him removed.

Beat me to it.

• Nparker likes this

#1368 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,998 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:42 AM

What a joke, the African Heritage Association can have a mural painted depicting all cops as bastards and that is a point for discussion and reconciliation yet if a police officer wears a flag that indicates solidarity with his/her co-workers then that is hate speech.

https://www.timescol...ints-1.24223429

• Nparker likes this

#1369 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:07 PM

Where can i buy one of those badges? Seriously, I would be proud to wear one and support our officers.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#1370 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,799 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:33 PM

people sure get triggered by nothing.

#1371 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 04:05 PM

Oak Bay police are cutting their force officers will be replaced by an electric vehicle: https://mobile.twitt...011986103078912

#1372 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:31 PM

Citizen: Makes sense, crime increasing so decrease number of police. I feel so much safer now.

Chief: That comment shows that you don't understand how the resource change occurred or why nor do you understand crime in Oak Bay. Respectfully, I'm not interested in dialogue with people who just send uninformed comments but I sincerely wish you all the best.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1373 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:48 PM

Citizen: Makes sense, crime increasing so decrease number of police. I feel so much safer now.

Chief: That comment shows that you don't understand how the resource change occurred or why nor do you understand crime in Oak Bay. Respectfully, I'm not interested in dialogue with people who just send uninformed comments but I sincerely wish you all the best.

Excluding investigations can Oak Bay just call in Victoria and Saanich for free? Like the fire service agreement up until now.

Edited by todd, 10 November 2020 - 06:52 PM.

#1374 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 06:06 PM

Oak Bay police officer ordered to have no contact with woman or her family, facing discipline probe

https://www.cheknews...-family-718568/

November 18, 2020 UPDATED

An Oak Bay Police officer is facing a police discipline investigation after allegations against him led to court order that he have no contact with a Saanich woman and four members of her family.

Sgt. Davindar Dalep was placed under the court-ordered peace bond on Nov. 2 after the woman alleged that a series of undisclosed incidents between June 1 and October 20 caused her to fear that Dalep would injure her or damage her property.

The protection order under section 810 of the Criminal Code is not a criminal charge. An information page from the federal Department of Justice notes “ [i]t is used where an individual (the defendant) appears likely to commit a criminal offence, but there are no reasonable grounds to believe that an offence has actually been committed.”

The order also requires Dalep not to possess any firearms or restricted weapons except for the purposes of his job while on duty.

Oak Bay Police Chief Ray Bernoties said in a statement that the department immediately ensured Saanich Police had been notified and would investigate and also notified the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner to request an external investigation and discipline authority, which is being handled by Victoria Police.

Bernoties says Dalep has been placed on administrative duty and is not working in uniform.

Saanich Police Const. Markus Anastasiades said the department was not able to comment on its investigation but confirmed the existence of a file.

Dalep has a court date in relation to the peace bond on Dec. 16.

• Mike K. likes this

#1375 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,799 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 03:00 PM

this is awesome.

The chair of the Winnipeg Police Board says the conduct of an officer who gave a $298 traffic ticket to a driver after being asked why he wasn't wearing a mask sends the wrong message to the public.

In a video of an incident Tuesday night that is circulating on social media, a Winnipeg police officer is asked by a passenger in a car why he wasn't wearing a mask.

"Sir I just have a question ... Why are you not wearing your mask and you're yelling. That's not good. That's not safe for us," said the passenger who CBC has agreed not to identify. 

The officer told the people in the car he wasn't wearing a mask because he wasn't within six feet of the passenger and was outside. He then said "I'll just write a ticket is that what you want to do this?" 

The woman in the passenger seat is heard saying "No. I'm just asking." 

She asked if he has to wear a mask when he's at a vehicle's window. "Even if you're close? I'm just asking. It's just a question."

The officer then replied "OK, you know what you can give me your stuff back you're going to get a ticket then."

"You were going to get a warning. I was being polite, you're not being polite."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-mask-1.5834893

i would have turned to my wife.  "you know i love you to death honey but when we get pulled over by a cop how about you just STFU?"

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 December 2020 - 03:01 PM.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#1376 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 07:07 PM

Two women say their sexual assault allegations against Vancouver Island RCMP officer were dismissed

December 15, 2020 CHEK News

In the wake of a scathing national report on rampant sexual harassment and assault within the RCMP, two women are coming forward publicly saying their allegations against a Vancouver Island RCMP officer have also been dismissed.

CHEK News has agreed to protect their identities but both women say the justice system and the RCMP have failed them.

One woman says she was sexually assaulted numerous times while dating the officer back in 2006, when the pair were living together on Vancouver Island.

“I don’t scare easy, I really really don’t scare easy, and I’m terrified of him,” she said.

“What he would do, is he would wait until I was asleep and then he would masturbate in my face while I was asleep.”

She says it happened at least 40 times and while she fought back the first time, she said after he came back from police training he was a different person.

In the police report she filed, she says “now he had power and he had authority, and he talked a lot about having that power and having that authority.”

She says he became controlling and, while he never physically assaulted her, she was afraid.

“I was living in a tiny community, I was isolated from my friends, and he had a weapon,” she told CHEK. “It was less scary for me to pretend it wasn’t happening then to actually deal with the reality,” the woman said.

They eventually broke up later that year.

She says it was the #MeToo movement and the birth of her child that prompted her to eventually go to police in 2018, 12 years later.

“I didn’t want my kid to look at me and think, that this had happened and I hadn’t tried to do something about it or protect other people,” she said.

The woman went to the Saanich Police Department in April 2018 to file a complaint. After an investigation that lasted months and resulted in a file that spanned 554 pages, the document says the investigating officer forwarded a recommended charge of sexual assault to Crown Counsel.

But after review, Crown said it would not move forward with the charges and the investigation was concluded.

The RCMP did conduct an internal investigation resulting in a conduct hearing but the allegations were also dismissed.

In the conduct hearing decision, the Conduct Board said it could not find the officer’s actions “breached the public’s confidence and affected the reputation of the RCMP” and that his actions “are not sufficiently related to his duties as to provide the force with a legitimate interest in disciplining him.”

“It makes me really disappointed in the RCMP, you know, in this force that is supposed to protect Canadians, that it’s just so quickly dismissed,” the woman said.

Another woman comes forward

A second woman has also since come forward saying she too filed a complaint with Saanich Police against the same RCMP officer earlier this year.

She tells CHEK News she was assaulted around the same time as the first woman, also while sleeping. She says Saanich police recommended a charge of sexual assault in her case, but again it wasn’t approved by Crown Counsel.

“There is a burden of proof placed on the survivor,” said Victoria Sexual Assault Centre Executive Director Elijah Zimmerman.

“We know that it’s harder to have the same type of evidence you would in other crimes, so the system is not set up to support survivors when they come forward,” Zimmerman said.

Both women say they want to see systemic change in the RCMP.

“I am contributing this statement, not solely because of what he did to me, but to speak up on behalf of the countless others in similar positions who do not feel able to do so, be it because of not having the necessary support, or feeling unsafe to speak up, or simply by not being ‘okay’ enough to confront the issue.

The ongoing condonation by the RCMP of inappropriate sexual misconduct by its own members, especially coming from its position as an entity responsible for maintaining societal well-being and safety — is wholly unacceptable. For others that have also experienced violations like I have, I want to say to them that I empathize — and that they are certainly and sadly not alone,” the second woman said.

While the women have been told the officer is back on duty the BC RCMP declined to comment on the case or the officer’s employment.

Attached Images

• RCMP.jpg

#1377 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 04:52 PM

Pipe-Bomb.jpg

Incident Involving Suspicious Device Resolved

Date: Saturday, December 25, 2020

File: 20-50564

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers, with the assistance of the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team (GVERT), have resolved an incident involving a suspicious device in Victoria this afternoon.

At approximately 12 p.m. this afternoon Patrol officers were called to the area of Dallas Road and Menzies Street for a report of a suspicious device in the grass at that location. A witness discovered a pipe in the grass with what appears to be a fuse sticking out of it. Officers attended and determined the device to be suspicious.

Patrol officers contained the area while members of GVERT attended and rendered the device safe without incident.

Officers are thanking the public for their patience while they established an exclusionary zone and worked to resolve the incident.

This file remains under investigation.

If you have information about the incident, please call our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654, extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

#1378 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 07:26 PM

We drove by there this afternoon and wondered what all the police presence was about.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1379 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 08:21 PM

Sure looks like a pipe bomb. Does anyone know what was actually found?

#1380 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:01 PM

Skyrocketing number of lost shifts at Victoria police has a positive side, chief says

Chief Const. Del Manak says officers, staff being more proactive looking after their mental health

Jan. 19, 2021

The number of shifts lost at the Victoria Police Department – officers and civilian staff being unavailable to work – is trending dramatically upward.

The situation is of concern to Chief Const. Del Manak, as it affects his ability to have a fully functioning and effective police force. But he also sees the rising numbers as a positive sign that VicPD officers and staff are taking care of their mental and physical health more proactively than ever.

More: https://www.vicnews....ide-chief-says/

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users