• Please log in to reply
3315 replies to this topic

#1721 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:15 PM

Are police liaisons back now?

I’m sure they’re just undercover https://youtu.be/Oj55KinxZx4

Edited by todd, 06 October 2021 - 01:19 PM.

#1722 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 04:03 AM

VicPD is so desperate to put cops on the street that it has been reduced to begging Saanich officers to fill its shifts.

So, it wasn’t really a surprise Wednesday when the Victoria department announced it’s recalling all seven of its ­officers from the traffic, organized crime and national security units shared by departments throughout the capital region.

No, the chief insists, that’s not the case. He said police are overwhelmed and in crisis. “My officers are exhausted. They feel that there’s no hope.”

Look at the recent wave of physical attacks on police, such as the officer ambushed in a Vic West park.

Cops believe anti-police activism has emboldened hate.

https://www.timescol...nits-1.24362512

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 October 2021 - 04:03 AM.

• Barrrister likes this

#1723 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:25 AM

Residents have been living with the demonization (« housed » hate) and assaults for much longer. VicPD didn’t care then.

#1724 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:47 AM

It's not a popular opinion, and I've shared it here before ... but at some point Manak has to accept full responsibility for what's happening in the VicPD.

The old trope of laying all the responsibility on local politicians doesn't actually remove the responsibility for the Police Chief to actually manage his department.

If the VidPD is indeed "falling apart", then either Manak has to take the reins and do what's required to bring it back on track, or he has to resign and give his replacement a crack at it.

That Helps and Council are anti-police and anti-law-and-order is a given ... so Manak has an obligation to manage around that, by whatever means he has available to him, and by whatever means necessary to bring the City of Victoria back from the brink.

If those "means" wind up with the COV or VicPD being hauled into court, so be it ... but somebody in a position of authority has to make a credible effort to eradicate the current untenable and unsustainable situation.

Edited by Spy Black, 07 October 2021 - 09:12 AM.

• lanforod, A Girl is No one and Brayvehart like this

#1725 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:06 AM

make the calls to shelters lower priority.  or less officers sent.  that'll force the shelters to increase or use better private security staff or regulate/screen tenants better.  the shelter staff will demand it.

every shelter has multiple security staff.  so shouldn't that require a slower or more limited response already?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 October 2021 - 09:07 AM.

• jrm likes this

#1726 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:17 AM

Lest anybody think I'm just complaining to hear myself complain ... my vehicle was broken into while parked behind my place of business two nights ago.

Drivers window completely smashed, interior torn apart, and because I leave nothing of value in my car ... the thief got away with nothing, but I've got a $1100.00 personal repair bill to pay, plus the loss of my car for a day or two, plus the cost of a rental car.

So "yeah" ... this is all quite real and happening right now, and I would expect that my car, or one very nearby it will be broken into again within the next month, and then again within a month after that.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#1727 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 10:44 AM

Spy : Any chance of moving the business to somewhere like Oakbay or the West Shore?

#1728 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 11:32 AM

Lest anybody think I'm just complaining to hear myself complain ... my vehicle was broken into while parked behind my place of business two nights ago.
Drivers window completely smashed, interior torn apart, and because I leave nothing of value in my car ... the thief got away with nothing, but I've got a $1100.00 personal repair bill to pay, plus the loss of my car for a day or two, plus the cost of a rental car.

So "yeah" ... this is all quite real and happening right now, and I would expect that my car, or one very nearby it will be broken into again within the next month, and then again within a month after that.

So sorry… that’s why we have to keep raising the alarm otherwise CoV will claim all is well (as they have been doing for a few years already)

#1729 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 11:46 AM

I saw man walking around downtown yesterday with a baton taser in his hand.

Good times.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1730 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 01:42 PM

Mike< Who said that you have any right to walk downtown?

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#1731 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 01:46 PM

make the calls to shelters lower priority.  or less officers sent.  that'll force the shelters to increase or use better private security staff or regulate/screen tenants better.  the shelter staff will demand it.

every shelter has multiple security staff.  so shouldn't that require a slower or more limited response already?

I think shelters also need to reevaluate their codes of conduct.. Can’t behave yourself after warnings your services are cut off nothing more move on .

Want to eat meals at Our Place get vaccinated .
Show some responsibility for the people working there no violence  tolerance call in your own security to remove that person permanently.

Caught dealing drugs you’re  gone .
There are shelters in the states where  you have to line up and show ID to just to get in at night to sleep.

We can get a little more ridged than we are and still help the needy.

Have Our Place closed in the day except for meals when it’s warm outside .

Give people who use the service’s small jobs to do whenever  possible baby steps.

I would like to see Our Place and other shelters look more to moving more as a step up organization  than a total free for all intrenched way of life .

Change your code of conduct revise your mandate.

• Midnightly, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#1732 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 01:52 PM

Spy : Any chance of moving the business to somewhere like Oakbay or the West Shore?

That wouldn't work ... my business is entrenched in the downtown core.

Fundamentally unmovable I'm afraid (albeit that, on a personal level at least ... I'd much rather be located in Langford).

#1733 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 01:57 PM

Pity that you cannot relocate. 

• todd likes this

#1734 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 05:16 PM

Seven VicPD Officers Redeployed To Patrol Division From Integrated Units

Date:   Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Victoria, BC – Seven VicPD officers assigned to three integrated units have been redeployed to VicPD’s Patrol Division as part of ongoing efforts to address continuing shortfalls in our front-line response capability.

Preview-Image-Chief-Manak-Announcment-vi

Chief Del Manak Announces The Redeployment of Seven Officers[/size]

To The Patrol Division From Integrated Units

A total of seven VicPD officers assigned to the Capital Regional District Integrated Road Safety Unit (CRD-IRSU), the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit-BC (CFSEU-BC), and the Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (INSET) will be redeployed to our Patrol Division.  Once these changes take effect on November 7th, VicPD will have no officers remaining with those integrated units.

Officer injuries, both physical and psychological, combined with the volume, complexity and severity of calls have placed a strain on the Patrol Division that is neither acceptable nor sustainable. This redeployment of officers to VicPD’s Patrol Division is intended to better meet public expectations regarding VicPD’s ability to respond to calls for service.

“When citizens call for help, they expect that an officer will arrive to help them quickly,” Chief Constable Del Manak said. “Without this change and further changes, VicPD cannot maintain that basic level of service.  These integrated units do important work, keeping our roads safe, investigating and disrupting organized crime groups, and monitoring and investigating national security threats.  We do not take the decision to redeploy these officers lightly, but we have to prioritize for our community.”

Of VicPD’s total strength of 249 officers, 39 are currently unable to work in a call-response capacity for a variety of reasons, including physical and psychological injuries.  An additional 17 officers are non-deployable as they undertake various stages of recruit training.

Staffing shortfalls have created major challenges in ensuring adequate deployment of frontline resources to respond to calls from our community.  Recent measures to address frontline resource shortfalls include the 2018 reassignment of six officers – including our three school liaison officers, an intelligence officer, our reserve program officer and a beat officer – to our Patrol Division, and the 2019 disbandment of VicPD’s Crime Reduction Unit (CRU).

VicPD is always evaluating how to strengthen our response to community needs.  Therefore, future organizational changes may occur in an effort to address the demands on available resources.  A review of these seven transfers will take place over the next year to assess if staffing resources allow for these assignments to be restored.
Isn’t this when the province steps in?

#1735 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 07:24 PM

^Yeah, maybe do a reverse Surrey, have the RCMP takeover the policing duties.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1736 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:12 PM

Why would the province want to get involved into the **** show that is Victoria. it is not like there is any chance of them losing even one seat here. Besides lots of jobs and contracts for the poverty industry, why clean it up?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1737 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:21 PM

^Yeah, maybe do a reverse Surrey, have the RCMP takeover the policing duties.

While on the topic did Surrey steal the Oak Bay police colours/design?

Edited by todd, 07 October 2021 - 08:26 PM.

#1738 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:05 AM

215ACAC8-D03C-4790-94A0-B5030A080F7B.jpeg

61EE995A-1B7F-42F6-B498-A0F1E86C782B.jpeg

Any other agencies look like that?

#1739 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:12 AM

At least the Oak Bay cop knows how to park...

• Mike K., Nparker, todd and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1740 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:52 AM

.. and real police officers

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), seymour201