Fire departments

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 May 2023 - 08:09 AM

Erasing the boundaries could speed up dispatch because instead of dispatching from the closest station in that municipality, you'd dispatch from the closest station, period. Which is sometimes going to be closer for a station in another municipality.

I'm not sure that dispatch times due to distance is really an issue here though.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:04 AM

Take Vic West for example.

If there’s a fire on Pine Street, trucks have to roll from Bay at Blanshard. But Esquimalt’s station is 600m closer.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:48 AM

A high-rise fire requires specialized training...and so does a barn fire loaded with hay and animals.

Methinks highrise barns would be the next logical step in the "food security" narrative.

• Nparker, Matt R. and lanforod like this

#64 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:48 AM

Harris Green doesn't have any highrise barns and it's a big issue re: livability.

• Nparker likes this

#65 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:57 AM

Rest assured there will be more fires in the region, hopefully not with 100-foot flames shooting into the sky as was the case in the Sooke blaze.

I've heard quite a few people making a big deal out of this Sooke fire, but I don't understand why. I can recall plenty of big fires in the city neighbourhoods during Victoria's annual summer arson season. Remember that huge fire out Shelbourne past University Heights a few years ago?

Why would anyone "rest assured" because there will be more fires? Of course there will be more fires. Rest assured, there will be more break-ins? Rest assured, there will be more car accidents?

• Nparker likes this

#66 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,014 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 12:04 PM

I've heard quite a few people making a big deal out of this Sooke fire, but I don't understand why. I can recall plenty of big fires in the city neighbourhoods during Victoria's annual summer arson season. Remember that huge fire out Shelbourne past University Heights a few years ago?

Arsonists are so lazy. I’d have more respect for them if they set fires in January and February.

#67 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 12:11 PM

Arsonists are so lazy. I’d have more respect for them if they set fires in January and February.

You make a good point. Nowadays we all know it's very easy for human beings to raise the outdoor temperature a bit, so why not coordinate arson sprees to happen during the wee hours on winter nights when it might make the difference between freezing or not freezing? It could save everyone a ton of grief re: accidents on the roads and sidewalks, slips and injuries, commuting delays, weather-related absenteeism, burst pipes, etc.

#68 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 12:12 PM

Arsonists are so lazy.

You're suggesting hardworking arsonists are a thing of the past?

#69 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 12:13 PM

I’ve never seen a burst pipe a targeted arson can’t overcome.

#70 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 12:14 PM

You're suggesting hardworking arsonists are a thing of the past?

They expanded entitlements like EI so that even serial arsonists only have to work 24 weeks per year to qualify. Like all the people in the Maritime provinces.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 May 2023 - 12:15 PM.

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 08:42 PM

Sooke yesterday morning:

In the early morning hours of May 30, 2023, Sooke Fire Rescue responded to a series of fires along the Galloping Goose Trail, west of Sooke River Road.

On scene, firefighters located two separate fires: a brush fire involving an 8 foot x 8 foot area and a fully involved tree, consumed by fire reaching approximately 25 feet up. Thanks to the quick and professional response by Sooke Fire Rescue, the fires were extinguished before spreading to the vast forests in the area.

Given the nature of the fires, Sooke Fire Rescue notified the Sooke RCMP who initiated an arson investigation. Through the investigation, it was determined that the fires were intentionally set and based on evidence and observations on scene, a suspect was identified. Later that day, a 28-year-old woman, of no fixed address, was located and arrested.

“The joint efforts of Sooke Fire and Sooke RCMP are to be commended,” says Mayor Maja Tait.

“Any time, but particularly during the unseasonable dry conditions, the risk of a forest fire is high,” shares Sooke Fire Chief Ted Ruiter. “The current danger rating is high in Sooke which means fires can start easily and challenge fire suppression efforts. The timely response of the career staff, as we transition to a 24/7 resource model, helped ensure the best outcome of this event,” Ruiter adds.

“I’m proud of the combined efforts of the District of Sooke’s Community Safety Team and appreciate the public’s assistance in providing us with information,” Sooke RCMP Sergeant Kevin Shaw notes.

Anyone in the area of the Sooke Potholes / Sooke River Road / Galloping Goose Trail on May 30, 2023, between the hours of 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. that witnessed anything suspicious are asked to call the Sooke RCMP.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 02:48 AM

The City of Victoria hopes to be one of the first cities in Canada to put an electric fire engine into service.

Victoria is to take delivery of a $1.7-million Rosenbauer Revolutionary Technology pumper fire engine, currently under construction, before the end of this year, with the expectation it will be in service in 2024.

https://www.timescol...e-truck-7387593

#73 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 11:43 AM

The City of Victoria hopes to be one of the first cities in Canada to put an electric fire engine into service.

Victoria is to take delivery of a $1.7-million Rosenbauer Revolutionary Technology pumper fire engine, currently under construction, before the end of this year, with the expectation it will be in service in 2024.

https://www.timescol...e-truck-7387593

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.12.05-14_41_35.png

#74 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 11:50 AM

Come on. An electrical fire engine? After this I suppose we'll also need a chemical fire engine, a gas fire engine, etc.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what they're talking about.

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 12:06 PM

Will be great in a serious emergency and the power is out for days.

#76 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 12:08 PM

Fire department has emergency generators.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 December 2023 - 12:09 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#77 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 12:10 PM

Will be great in a serious emergency and the power is out for days.

It would be perfect for that situation. No power, no electrical fires.

• Nparker likes this

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 12:15 PM

Fire department has emergency generators.

Which run off of what?

#79 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 12:22 PM

Some kind of flammable liquid fuel, I would assume.

#80 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 12:26 PM

Which run off of what?

The flames of burning buildings.
  • aastra likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users