University of Victoria (UVic) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
742 replies to this topic

#261 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,957 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 12:14 PM

Facing massive long-term debts and lower revenue as a result of COVID-19, Laurentian University has filed for court protection from creditors.

It's the first time in recent memory that a university has done so.

Sources speaking on background to CTV News say the university approached the province before Christmas seeking help on what was believed to be $100 million in debt. But since then, a closer look at the books revealed that amount is closer to $200 million, prompting the decision to seek creditor protection.

https://northernonta...ction-1.5291050

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 February 2021 - 12:15 PM.

#262 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:06 PM

Interesting article not directly related to UVIC, but it does speak to Canadian Universities in general;

My latest for  @Quillette, on @BrockUniversity's obsession with a single obscure (& defunct) whistle-blower Twitter account. In a recorded Feb 22 meeting, senior admin can be heard discussing how they might punish this critic for "resisting decolonization".

Indigenization now signifies a system of compulsory ideological programming among academics, it has led to dissonance in the way universities define themselves. 

When it comes to Indigenization, Canadian universities have made it clear that there are to be no conscientious objectors. The result is that, as the following case study shows, even tiny, symbolic acts of ideological resistance can spark wholesale institutional dysfunction.

https://nationalpost...sity-to-unravel

I believe that Reconciliation should be a good thing, but not when it is being used by white activists to further themselves at the expense of those they state to represent.

• Nparker likes this

#263 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 09:22 AM

Robina Thomas has been appointed first associate vice-president Indigenous in a newly created role at UVIC. 

https://www.timescol...tion-1.24322129

She has some interesting perspectives such as students not having to write exams and that as many students as possible learn the history of Indigenous people in Canada and the impact of colonization.

Hope it works out for her and UVIC. Lots of times these positions wind up in conflict (see RBCM).

#264 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 09:33 AM

In her more than two decades at the university, Thomas has seen improvement in the number of Indigenous students and faculty at UVic, as well as courses that include Indigenous content, but she knows there’s more work ahead to remove barriers for Indigenous students.

Thomas points to the university’s use of exams as a main assessment method as one way in which the institution is not designed for Indigenous learners.

“A lot of our folks also come from oral traditions and storytelling traditions, and there’s not always a lot of space for that way of knowing,” she said.

https://www.timescol...tion-1.24322129

how do we know if the person learned or understands the work if we do not test them?

#265 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 12:02 PM

how do we know if the person learned or understands the work if we do not test them?

That's the million dollar question.  Does the material being taught change?

#266 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 May 2021 - 12:12 PM

^ I mean it depends entirely on the subject being taught. I don't think I had any exams after the first year of my BA*, and I had a single open book exam in my M. Urban Planning (for a Law class). Lots of papers and presentations.

*Except for when I was a foreign student in Singapore, where I had exams in all my classes.

#267 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 05:02 PM

Exams are also the primary instrument of intake criteria.

This is an important discussion to be had, though. University doesn’t make you smart or intelligent, and traditional exams do not capture intelligence if it doesn’t conform to its structure. We lose brilliant minds in academia that way, which don’t conform to rigid systems and are pushed aside.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#268 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 06:45 PM

That's the million dollar question.  Does the material being taught change?

Does the material being taught matter?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#269 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:30 AM

Exams are also the primary instrument of intake criteria.

This is an important discussion to be had, though. University doesn’t make you smart or intelligent, and traditional exams do not capture intelligence if it doesn’t conform to its structure. We lose brilliant minds in academia that way, which don’t conform to rigid systems and are pushed aside.

FN had no written language so why stop at exams, perhaps essays and written assignments should also go. The entire 4 years can be storytelling and lived experience. Lets face it, does a GPA make any difference with a UVIC degree for most courses?  :-)

I have no problems updating practices as they are merited. I just hope the interests and expectations are aligned with this new role. Whenever I see sweeping changes being proposed by someone in a newly minted position I view a risk that things end very badly (ie RBCM).  

#270 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 11:54 AM

Universities have mostly become adult daycare centres IMO so no big loss there.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#271 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:12 PM

Universities have mostly become adult daycare centres IMO so no big loss there.

Well they have a pretty good thing going right now, they can have students watch pre-recorded zoom sessions and get grad students and TAs to mark papers. Probably a few hours a week worth of work for a pretty decent salary. If it wasn't for the loss of international students and the money they bring in I am sure nobody would be in a rush to return to in-person classes.

For some technical programs I know of employers that would rather see $200 spent on a dozen key udemy courses then $30K spent at UVIC.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#272 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:57 PM

I would like to know faculty's support for the recently adopted "Homelessness Report" just adopted by the CoV.  Analysis on how objective and transparent the information was obtained.

I have serious concerns about UVIC having being turned into the Alt-Right of progressiveness.  

• A Girl is No one likes this

#273 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:46 PM

I think it’s been the case for many years already… their contribution to Victoria includes Helps, Isitt, Loveday, Potts

#274 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 05:45 PM

what an utter snowflake.  good luck in the real world, chump.

Use of N-word in University of Victoria literature class lecture causes stir

On Monday, Sept. 13, a lecturer read aloud the N-word during a British Modern Fiction lecture attended by about 50 students, according to a female attendee. The student, who’s racialized, spoke with Black Press on the condition of anonymity, conscious of online harassment.

The University of Victoria corroborated the occurrence with a statement published on their Department of English website. The text was Joseph Conrad’s short story “An Outpost of Progress,” written in 1896 and read to exemplify the racist attitudes of the time which it was written, according to the student.

Following the use of the N-word 20 minutes into the lecture, “nobody said anything” the student said. When she stood up to speak against its use about five minutes later, “they were all silent, and heads forward,” she said. “Honestly, that was the part that hurt the most … I didn’t feel safe in that classroom.”

The utterance – followed by the show of a painting depicting burning vessels of the trans-Atlantic slave trade and their disembodied passengers 10 minutes later – caused the student to leave the class and immediately drop the course. Choking up, the student said more could have been done to preface the inherently traumatic material of that day’s lecture.

https://www.vicnews....re-causes-stir/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 September 2021 - 05:47 PM.

#275 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 05:57 PM

...The student, who’s racialized...

Aren't all people "racialized"? What does this word even mean?

#276 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:41 AM

No. One race doesn’t count.

#277 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:46 AM

there's a world of difference between the use of that word (& similar words for other people) in an academic setting such as a university literature class on the works of joseph conrad or mark twain, and its use in publications like der sturmer, stormfront or the crusader, etc

i've always wondered that also, because it seems to be in the passive voice which makes me wonder who or what is responsible for someone having been racialized, & how it happened. i finally looked it up & this seems to be the answer:

I use the term 'racialized' to denote the widespread practice in which a socially constructed 'race' is ascribed to those who are identified as 'non-white' and in which those who are 'white' are assumed not to have a 'race', or whose 'race' is assumed to be the norm or the referent point against which all others are ascribed deviant status.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 21 September 2021 - 10:57 AM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#278 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:27 AM

this makes me think of trainee police officers who want to be cops but never thought that they'd ever be in a "him-or-me" situation & have to use their gun to kill another person, or interview an 8-year old who's been molested by a creepy pedophile uncle, etc. i can think of many things medical or nursing students would see (eg. graphic images of colonoscopies, gunshot wounds, etc) but that sort of comes with the territory, those people can't afford to be grossed-out by any of it. this english class thing is no different imho.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 22 September 2021 - 08:28 AM.

#279 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 01:31 PM

This past weekend, the university was home to large gatherings that saw crowds of up to 1,000 young persons descend on the campus. While fireworks were discharged at crowds, officers in a marked police vehicle were also surrounded by a mob, and there were multiple intoxicated youths who required medical attention by police and paramedics.

The escalation has the Saanich Police Department stepping up enforcement.

The Saanich Police Department is working with the university to prevent future gatherings on campus that are unsafe. Police will set up roadblocks and foot patrols on campus during the weekend to more rigorously enforce the Trespass Act, Liquor Control and Licencing Act, and other applicable statutes that apply.

https://www.vicnews....ria-partygoers/

maybe the university or the area needs another pub or two?  

what kind of a pub is closed on saturdays?

https://www.felicitas.ca/hours/

Monday – Wednesday: 11:30am-11:00pm
Thursday & Friday: 11:30am-midnight
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
Holidays: Closed

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 November 2021 - 01:32 PM.

#280 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 02:58 PM

It’s odd, right, how there’s no university district in this town? The closest pub is Smuggler’s, and it’s a bit of a trek from campus. 1.5km?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users