• Please log in to reply
732 replies to this topic

#301 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:50 AM

Dear Members of the University Community:

I am pleased to let the campus community know about the outcome of the University of Victoria's search for a new Chancellor. Our esteemed current Chancellor, Shelagh Rogers, will end her term on December 31 of this year. Shelagh has been an outstanding ambassador and champion for our institution and the values it espouses, and on behalf of the Board of Governors I would like to acknowledge her remarkable service and lasting contributions over her seven years in this role.

It is my deep honour to announce that, after a robust search process, the Board has approved the appointment of Marion Buller as UVic's next Chancellor. Marion is a member of the Mistawasis Nehiyawak, a Cree First Nation, and is a former UVic student, having received both her undergraduate and law degrees here. Marion was the first First Nations woman to be appointed to the Provincial Court of British Columbia. After retiring from a notable career in law, in 2016 Marion was appointed as Chief Commissioner for the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls. Her appointment as Chancellor will begin on January 1, 2022, and we are so pleased to be welcoming her into this role in the new year.

Today we are hosting an announcement event at 12:30pm. You are invited to watch the livestream of this event, or to view the recording later, at https://www.youtube....h?v=TdDmHV5aYNI.

David Zussman,
Chair, Board of Governors

#302 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 10:10 AM

No comment.

#303 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 06:39 AM

Looks like there was a heavy police presence last night with every roadway onto campus blocked off, foot patrol, other cars https://twitter.com/...184646232375296

#304 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 09:54 AM

One of the problems with “equity hiring” is of course that individuals in the class / gender / race etc. that receive positions truly based on merit have their qualifications doubted by many. that’s inevitable when we set up such a system.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 November 2021 - 09:55 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#305 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 10:50 AM

When UVic alumnus Bernard Von Schulmann found out about the news, he picked up the phone and started calling. He didn’t stop until he had contacted more than 50 of his former classmates.

Felicita Gomez, former long-time UVic student union building (SUB) custodian and namesake of campus pub Felicita’s, passed away on Oct. 2 in Crowsnest Pass, Alta., aged 97. She worked in the building for 22 years, from 1967 to 1989, and left a great impression on many of the students in UVic’s early years.

At a memorial service held in Victoria on Oct. 19, former coworkers and students remembered her legacy along with friends and family.

https://www.martlet....ses-away-at-97/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 November 2021 - 10:50 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#306 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 11:06 AM

One of the problems with “equity hiring” is of course that individuals in the class / gender / race etc. that receive positions truly based on merit have their qualifications doubted by many. that’s inevitable when we set up such a system.

I would suspect that neither I nor NParker have the skills to evaluate this appointment on merit.

But when we both read in a short press release that the person possesses several FN and gender immutable characteristics, and other FN career bona fides, of course it leaves us wondering.

Leaders at one of the largest investment firms in the world, State Street Global Advisors, will need to ask permission to hire white men as it rolls out a diversity hiring initiative.

https://www.foxbusin...-hire-white-men

"This is now front and central for State Street — it’s on every senior executive’s scorecard," said Jess McNicholas, the bank’s head of inclusion, diversity and corporate citizenship in London, according to the Sunday Times.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 November 2021 - 11:09 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#307 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 11:13 AM

As Supreme Court Weighs Harvard Admissions Case, Two Asian Americans Speak Out And Allege Bias

Harrison Chen doesn't like to brag, but the 21-year-old son of Chinese immigrants graduated at the top of his high school class and logged almost perfect scores on the SAT. Still, Harvard rejected his application. The reason, he alleges, was discrimination.

https://www.wgbh.org...and-allege-bias

“They just lumped me into the Asian category, and the data quite clearly shows that,” Chen said, charging without evidence undergraduate admissions officers there “were not willing to look at us as individuals.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 November 2021 - 11:14 AM.

#308 m3m

m3m
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 08:45 PM

The Hon. Marion Buller is eminently qualified for this purely ceremonial role, you dolts. your comments make you look bigoted.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#309 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 09:36 PM

I had no idea Judge Buller also served as the Chief Commissioner for the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#310 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 09:59 PM

The Hon. Marion Buller is eminently qualified for this purely ceremonial role, you dolts. your comments make you look bigoted.

Typical way to try to shut off debate.

Lame.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 November 2021 - 09:59 PM.

#311 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 10:07 PM

Shelagh Rogers, the outgoing chancellor, is Metis.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#312 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 10:11 PM

Proving the point really. The position is not open to white males.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 November 2021 - 10:15 PM.

#313 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 November 2021 - 10:14 PM

Chancellor is not a purely ceremonial role. The role comes with a lot of board and committee responsibilities as well. I have no concerns personally that Judge Buller is qualified for this role, and UVic has committed to focusing on reconciliation. This is putting their money where their mouth is.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#314 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 10:36 PM

Proving the point really. The position is not open to white males.

Shelagh Rogers "   She proudly acknowledges her Métis and Scottish ancestry. ", so was only her Metis part appointed Chancellor?

Last time I inferred that you are racist, for clearly making racist comments, my post was deleted, so I want to be clear that is not my inference here!

The "dolts" part of m3m's comment is probably safe for me to agree with though ;-)

• Brayvehart and VIResident like this

#315 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 November 2021 - 10:41 PM

Queen’s is taking Western for a run in this department now too 😬

#316 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 11:53 PM

A man said this in 1963:

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today.

still just an unfulfilled dream the way we are going. Almost 60 years later.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#317 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 08 November 2021 - 05:14 AM

No comment.

Wow.

#318 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 05:14 AM

A man said this in 1963:

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today.

still just an unfulfilled dream the way we are going. Almost 60 years later.

Wow.

• Brayvehart likes this

#319 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 05:16 AM

Typical way to try to shut off debate.

Lame.

LOL

• Brayvehart likes this

#320 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 05:17 AM

WOW

• Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users