University of Victoria (UVic) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
743 replies to this topic

#401 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 November 2022 - 07:35 AM

Party at university residences results in drunken antics. News at 11...

#402 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 07:36 AM

Party at university residences results in drunken antics. News at 11...

Sure getting drunk at a party is nothing new but destroying public property isn't cool. 

#403 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 November 2022 - 07:38 AM

^ Lets face it, UVIC is known as the "party university" and they have demonstrated yet again that they can live up to their reputation. UVIC will of course do nothing as it is generational trauma that fueled the parties and that of course is something we need to respect and honour.

Lol. Really? Try a little googling, see if you can find a top 10 list that even includes UVic as a top 10 party school in Canada. McGill/Western/York/Queens all top those lists.

#404 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 07:51 AM

Are you downplaying what happened, Lanf? Is that how the administration views this sort of mayhem? It’s just another night?

People could have been killed. Buildings could have caught fire. It’s a miracle those toilets didn’t flood the Wilson Building and result it a displacement of however many students during what UVic’s student advocates tell us is a housing crisis.

You guys have lost the plot, there, it looks like.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#405 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 08:03 AM

I suspect, as with many things, the activity continues because there are limited consequences for even those caught.

This was an issue last year, too.

Probably in 1990, also.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 November 2022 - 08:18 AM.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#406 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 November 2022 - 08:10 AM

I'm not downplaying anything, this i the first I've heard of this particular party. But give your head a shake if you think this is new or abnormal for pretty much any university with residence in Canada (and it pales compared to the US, I think you know that).

There are perhaps steps admin can take. If destructive res parties are the worst issue a University has to deal with, it's in pretty good shape.

• AllseeingEye, FogPub and Victoria Watcher like this

#407 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 08:18 AM

...If destructive res parties are the worst issue a University has to deal with, it's in pretty good shape.

Much worse destruction emanates from the faculty at UVic.

#408 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 08:37 AM

I'm not downplaying anything, this i the first I've heard of this particular party. But give your head a shake if you think this is new or abnormal for pretty much any university with residence in Canada (and it pales compared to the US, I think you know that).

There are perhaps steps admin can take. If destructive res parties are the worst issue a University has to deal with, it's in pretty good shape.

Well, there’s the trashing of property …and the sexual assault warning UVic issued that aligns with the weekend’s activities.

Trashing buildings wasn’t the norm when I was a student at UVic. There were res parties, but not mayhem like what’s happening now. And Watcher is right, they had a problem with this last year.

I’m telling ya, if I was the father of a daughter at that school I’d be very, very unhappy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#409 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 08:38 AM

100%; very clearly property destruction or physical and other forms of personal abuse are activities that are right offside - and should be dealt with swiftly and appropriately by the Admin up to and including expulsion if deemed serious enough. I have zero problem with that; but seriously we engaged in all manner of antics in the late 70's/80's that make today's campus pale in comparison. The vast majority of it being good fun and all part of the growing up and maturing experience. 

In 1980, my first year @UVic, I met an American lady while on vacation in Hawaii and went to Oregon several times to see her in the following year. She was attending Oregon State U which socially was basically a scene right out of Animal House. UVic had nothing on those guys, then or now. The majority of it being in great fun. Difference being at OSU clearly out of bounds activities were generally dealt with, and quickly.

But even when I later went to UBC in 1987 that made Uvic look like a religious convent, mainly because unlike here UBC allowed - and still does - chapters of US fraternities on campus, which UVic never has. One memorable UBC-hosted rugby tournament with teams from Western Canada, the US and New Zealand involved the call out of practically the entire UBC RCMP detachment, all UBC Pit Pub security personnel including me, and even a few VanPD officers. Now that was a chaotic night, something never even remotely approached by anything that's occurred at UVic in my memory. And I bounced at the UVic Sub Pub for four years....

OSU back then had over two dozen frats, most generally well behaved but certainly I personally attended a couple of their 'social functions' where John Belushi would have felt more than at home, heh. I hasten to add no one got beat up and no property destruction was involved that I witnessed beyond a broken window and some beer glasses, but a hell of a lot of fun memories remain.

• FogPub and Victoria Watcher like this

#410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 08:53 AM

See. People had fun by they weren’t trying to flood out an entire residence or burn it down with fireworks.

UVic has to step it up. Nobody wants their child attending a university with an unchecked riot zone at its residences. I mean, c’mon. Safety and Security Basics 101 here.

Eventually these goons get on transit buses and terrorize other passengers as they head downtown. There they’re unleashed onto the downtown core where the boozing continues.

It can be very frightening when UVic students, liquored up pack a bus. You’re trapped with them.

Know it all.

#411 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 09:00 AM

UVic used to have an actual nightclub on campus! That’s the different between ‘then’ and now.

Know it all.

#412 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 November 2022 - 12:52 PM

See. People had fun by they weren’t trying to flood out an entire residence or burn it down with fireworks.

UVic has to step it up. Nobody wants their child attending a university with an unchecked riot zone at its residences. I mean, c’mon. Safety and Security Basics 101 here.

Eventually these goons get on transit buses and terrorize other passengers as they head downtown. There they’re unleashed onto the downtown core where the boozing continues.

It can be very frightening when UVic students, liquored up pack a bus. You’re trapped with them.

You make it sound like busted toilets and fireworks are unique to this party. Nobody is trying to burn down anything. Really? You really believe that?  There were fireworks all over the CRD last night. A busted toilet is a few drunk guys going nuts and being idiots, not trying to flood the building. It sucks, and yes, university admin/police can perhaps do something consequentially or preventively.

Not condoning it, but be realistic with the cause and effect here, don't blow it way out of proportion. This wasn't a riot. What world are you living in that you think this isn't a regular occurance? Teenagers + alcohol. It's going to happen.

Other recent examples of practically the same thing, not here (and this took me 2 minutes to find):

Dalhousie: https://www.cbc.ca/n...party-1.6604761

UOttawa: https://ottawa.ctvne...rhood-1.5609208

Guelph: https://kitchener.ct...ampus-1.5582570

McMaster: https://www.thestar....n-hamilton.html

Edited by lanforod, 01 November 2022 - 12:53 PM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#413 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 01:37 PM

I’m kinda on your side here Lanf. File this one under Boys will be boys, tho they definitely took it too far.

I’d rather see old fashioned college partying than a Woke protest at Uvic, if it came down to those two options.

I’m actually sorta… proud, and surprised, in a weird way- to see traditional hooliganism at my alma mater.

But yeah, took it a little too far and whoever blew up the toilet should pay for it.

#414 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 04:19 PM

You make it sound like busted toilets and fireworks are unique to this party. Nobody is trying to burn down anything. Really? You really believe that? There were fireworks all over the CRD last night. A busted toilet is a few drunk guys going nuts and being idiots, not trying to flood the building. It sucks, and yes, university admin/police can perhaps do something consequentially or preventively.

Not condoning it, but be realistic with the cause and effect here, don't blow it way out of proportion. This wasn't a riot. What world are you living in that you think this isn't a regular occurance? Teenagers + alcohol. It's going to happen.
Other recent examples of practically the same thing, not here (and this took me 2 minutes to find):
Dalhousie: https://www.cbc.ca/n...party-1.6604761
UOttawa: https://ottawa.ctvne...rhood-1.5609208
Guelph: https://kitchener.ct...ampus-1.5582570
McMaster: https://www.thestar....n-hamilton.html

So this is common?

The busted toilets, etc? I’ve never seen that in my life, locally, ever. Not in any bar or nightclub, certainly not in a post-secondary institution.

Shooting fireworks at buildings is perfectly normal at UVic? That’s so careless and dangerous. You generally don’t do that, ever. Climbing lamp standards and buildings is normal, too? That’s so dangerous.

UVic is lucky none of those kids killed themselves. Several came very close.

Know it all.

#415 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 04:22 PM

Anyways, I’m not sure what to think about the blow-off here. There have to be boundaries and repercussions if the institution wants to preserve its integrity, IMO.

Know it all.

#416 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 04:34 PM

...There have to be boundaries and repercussions if the institution wants to preserve its integrity...

Does UVic have any integrity left?

• Barrrister likes this

#417 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 04:38 PM

Certainly questionable if no punishment arises from this hooliganism.

Can’t wait for what’s in-store next weekend. Should be a hoot. Maybe they’ll light a bus on fire, or flood the library. It’s all in good fun, right?

Know it all.

#418 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 November 2022 - 05:01 PM

Anyways, I’m not sure what to think about the blow-off here. There have to be boundaries and repercussions if the institution wants to preserve its integrity, IMO.

Clearly a lot of people are of the same mind as me, based on your Facebook post comments.

#419 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 05:05 PM

It’s not supposed to be a popularity contest.

Leave that to the kids falling off lamp posts and smashing toilets.

Know it all.

#420 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 November 2022 - 05:14 PM

Looking forward to the crickets next week as nothing happens. This isn’t an every weekend occurrence here.
  • Brayvehart likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users