University of Victoria (UVic) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
732 replies to this topic

#421 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 05:18 PM

We expect it not to. It’s an institution of higher learning, after all.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#422 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 05:57 PM

Back in the day the Sub basement was divided into the 'lounge' on the left at the bottom of the stairs - Felicitas, named after a lovely maintenance lady who still worked there - where you drank highballs only (no draft beer served), played darts and listened to whatever live band was playing at the time; in the mid-80's there was a local band called Bad English who played excellent ska music and performed epic covers of the Police. They always jammed the place!

And there was the pub itself, to your right at the bottom of the stairs, and where you drank only beer, no hard liquor. It had canned music pumped in at a way-too-loud volume over the facility speakers.

In the middle of the two was a general free for all space where you could walk back forth between the two, drink beer, but not take your highball out of the lounge. Those were the days too where you could still smoke indoors. Basement of the library, anywhere outside you wanted and of course the Sub building - all were fair game if you wanted to light up. Between the smoke, the live and canned music, the 300 or so patrons in various stages of inebriation especially on Thursday "Sub" nights - what was a legal capacity limit after all? Phhht - it could get pretty 'lively' in both the good and occasionally not so good way.

We typically had five doormen on duty, 1-2 upstairs at the entrance where you got ID'ed and lined up on the occasional night we did enforce a body count limit :), one each at the back doors of the pub and lounge respectively, and two floaters who walked the floors throughout; rarely did anything happen that we couldn't handle our door crew being on the rather large side. The tallest guy was 6'9", our average height was probably over 6.x' and easily 250 lbs. Besides as a member of the rugby team I always had "mates" there swilling drinks that we could call on if needed, lol. And if something really untoward happened we could call on campus security who would be there in about 3 minutes. Saanich PD would even very occasionally drop in mainly to say hello. If was generally a very safe and secure environment.

In my time the main thing we had to watch out for was theft, typically of the plastic draft pitchers which people would try to pass to their pals waiting outside of the pub side, through the upper windows above the seats along the outside walls of the pub. The windows opened outwards and through which the prospective thief would pass the pitcher to their waiting buddy. It was an old routine which we were well prepared for and we probably caught them 85% of more of the time. The biggest issue - frankly - was when female customers, one in particular, got way hammered and out of control. We tried talking them into submission and if they got physical we'd either get one of the female servers to try to reason with them or in a worse case have campus security send a female member of their team to deal with the problem.

I don't recollect any major physical property damage, ever; certainly no toilets were broken, and overall all in all considering people then weren't as uptight as today and drinking laws were way, way more liberal, a good time was generally always had by all.

The worst offenders - outside the pub - were probably us honestly, particularly on the one memorable night the rugby and basketball teams decided to team up and make a human pyramid outside the women's dorm in about 19-ought-85 with the intent of crashing a party on one of the upper floors. Didn't turn out too well...after we achieved a certain height gravity - and far too much alcohol - took their inevitable toll with the 'pyramid' coming crashing down. Unfortunately for me I was one of the members of the pyramid 'base'. I was very sad as a consequence. So we finally gave up, took it all downtown and partied at someone else's bar and made their staff work hard for a change :)

• Nparker, pontcanna, lanforod and 3 others like this

#423 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 07:08 PM

https://vancouverisl...amage-1.6134978

Screenshot 2022-11-01 19.57.05.png

#424 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 07:11 PM

The partygoers describe the situation as complete mayhem.

"Oh, it was crazy," said Carver. "It was ridiculous and there were fights breaking out too, and you couldn’t really move."

"There were so many random faces there that you haven’t seen before," she added.

There were random faces because, according to the pair of partygoers, UVic has become known as a destination to party on the Halloween weekend.

"My friends from Calgary, actually I’m from Calgary, they flew down this weekend to come here for Halloween," said Carver.

"I know friends who have travelled from different parts of the country just to come to UVic for the Halloween parties," added Farvargan.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 November 2022 - 07:12 PM.

#425 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 07:56 PM

#itsnormal

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#426 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 09:18 PM

What was campus security doing all this time while property was being destroyed and people were so plastered they were falling off signs? Were they even alerted, and if not why not? And even if they weren't how can security personnel remain unaware of a good old fashioned rip it up, tear it down boozefest involving 400 people? Presumbly they were not entirely quiet during the proceedings: one would think the sheer din of the assembled humans would be sufficient to elicit some (security) response....

Back in my day says the grumpy old man shaking his fist at a passing cloud, campus security actively and regularly patrolled the Uvic property - all of it, including the running trails and periodically even Mystic Vale: do they not do that in 2022? 

Finally, where exactly did this shambola of a nutbag-fest occur....in a dorm, or....? 

• Nparker likes this

#427 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 09:45 PM

Yawn. I think our group got banned from Fuddruckers for similar stunts.

Asked my kid, in third year, about all this, big ol’ “meh” in return. Probably not cool enough to get invited.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#428 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 November 2022 - 10:36 PM

No no, we all have to start calling for expulsions and life long consequences and public muck raking of these hooligans! Because the enraged public in Mike K demand it!

#blownoutofproportionbyVV
  • Brayvehart likes this

#429 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 11:06 PM

Clickz and lulz.

#430 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 06:40 AM

Still silence from UVic.

The rest of the city’s media have now caught up (or most of them, at least). Where’s the official response?

1463FA37-3F47-4903-996E-1C8282A21562.jpeg

Know it all.

#431 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 06:42 AM

No no, we all have to start calling for expulsions and life long consequences and public muck raking of these hooligans! Because the enraged public in Mike K demand it!

#blownoutofproportionbyVV

What sort of an institution are you guys running over there?

Unbelievable.

Yawn. I think our group got banned from Fuddruckers for similar stunts.

🚨!!!🚨

Know it all.

#432 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 06:43 AM

What was campus security doing all this time while property was being destroyed and people were so plastered they were falling off signs? Were they even alerted, and if not why not? And even if they weren't how can security personnel remain unaware of a good old fashioned rip it up, tear it down boozefest involving 400 people? Presumbly they were not entirely quiet during the proceedings: one would think the sheer din of the assembled humans would be sufficient to elicit some (security) response....

Back in my day says the grumpy old man shaking his fist at a passing cloud, campus security actively and regularly patrolled the Uvic property - all of it, including the running trails and periodically even Mystic Vale: do they not do that in 2022?

Finally, where exactly did this shambola of a nutbag-fest occur....in a dorm, or....?

It was at the east side of the campus at the residences.

I was wondering about the security situation, too. Their job is to keep things like this from happening.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.

#433 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 06:48 AM

Lanforod, did you graduate from UVic? Because if you did, you’d have a very different opinion of the sliding image of that campus in recent years.

I know you’re employed there and maybe take this criticism personally, but i can’t understand why you diminish this degree of inappropriate behaviour. It’s a terrible image for the school, and there have to be consequences.

Know it all.

#434 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 November 2022 - 07:17 AM

Per the news this morning the cops did attend and there was an arrest. Not sure what more you want, beyond some sort of University messaging/consequence - the latter which might not be easy as it does sound like a lot of the partiers were not from UVic.

• Brayvehart likes this

#435 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 07:22 AM

What I think I expected wasn’t a diminishing of this incident or a normalizing of the behaviour.

Anyways, I’m glad I brought this to the attention of the other media. People need to know where they’re sending their kids, and what happens at their on-campus homes.

Know it all.

#436 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 08:42 PM

UVic chancellor says she'll consider returning honorary degree if Turpel-Lafond's isn't revoked

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond, B.C.’s former representative for children and youth, has faced questions about her claim to be a treaty Indian of Cree ancestry, as well as her academic credentials

#437 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:48 AM

The University of Victoria is denying liability in a 2019 bus crash during a student field trip to Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre, according to court documents.

Man awarded $326,000 after Sooke road-rage attack
Buses able to cut the line and commute time along Pat Bay Highway

Two first-year students were killed and several others injured when a Wilson’s Transportation bus carrying 45 University of Victoria students and two staff slid off the gravel road to ­Bamfield and went down an embankment on Sept. 13, 2019.

https://www.timescol...tudents-6324534

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 January 2023 - 07:48 AM.

#438 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:36 AM

Sahota said the legal system as it’s currently structured is an adversarial one that incentivizes parties to take very strong positions in legal filings. “Often times it’s not until the 11th hour that parties will look at their responsibility realistically. “But for the purposes of filings, they’re going to put it to the plaintiff to prove every aspect and so they’re going to deny, deny, deny.”

I feel like I should note we're reading this in a newspaper article in the year 2023.

#439 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 04:03 AM

The University of Victoria, Vancouver Island University, Camosun College and other post-secondary institutions are grappling with a decline in enrolment in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

UVic says its international enrolment is down about 16 per cent compared to the previous year, although domestic enrolment is expected to be steady and to reach targets.

https://www.timescol...olments-6466437

#440 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:39 PM

That sums it up well. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users