University of Victoria (UVic) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
732 replies to this topic

#81 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

I think UVic just wants them gone. Not sure if they really care how.

#82 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:04 PM

Will the bunnies be transported to Texas on the Sun Sea cruise ship?

#83 Lorne Carnes

Lorne Carnes
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

Sorry to change the subject....

Got a letter from UVic Security Services today. Evidently I received a parking ticket on Jan 9th of 2009.

The note reads in part... "Please note: While the class action lawsuit against UBC was being dealt with in the Supreme Court of BC, the University of Victoria put the active collection of outstanding Citations on hold, including the issuance of these reminders to outstanding accounts. Initially, the court ruled against UBC, but the decision was reversed upon appeal. In the meantime, the Province of BC retroactively amended the Universities Act to permit BC Universities to financially penalize violators of parking regulations. The reason for this note is twofold: 1) to clarify any misconceptions regarding the UVic's right to issue Parking Citations and 2) to give explanation as to why there has been no reminders sent out since February 2009".

I have no recollection of receiving this ticket, nor whether I made arrangements to settle this matter at the time. All fines are required to be paid within 14 days.... regardless of whether an appeal had been made or not.

I called up Parking Services. Evidently 5000 of these statements have been mailed out.... and they're receiving a lot of calls as a result. I'm not sure how many fellow VVer's might have received similar statements, but would be curious to learn how you plan on dealing with this matter.

#84 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

UVic to start trapping rabbits after court victory
By Judy Lavoie, TC August 30, 2010

The University of Victoria will start trapping rabbits this week following a B.C. Supreme Court ruling today that struck down an injunction prohibiting UVic from trapping or killing the hundreds of feral rabbits on campus.

[...]
Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0y8bCeg1v

#85 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

The University of Victoria has climbed to 130th in the world and sixth place in Canada in the Times Higher Education’s annual World University Rankings released today. UVic was the top-ranked university in Canada without a medical school. There are nine Canadian universities in the top 200.

“We would like to congratulate the University of Victoria for its performance in this year’s rigorous rankings,” says Ann Mroz, editor of the Times Higher Education (THE). “Being ranked 130 in the world top 200 is an impressive achievement. The top 200 universities in the world represent only a tiny fraction of world higher education and any institution that makes it into this table is truly world class.”

http://communication...release&id=1163

#86 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:36 PM

Twenty former UVic bunnies gunned down after stealing the neighbours grass. The bunnies had been living with some parrots at a commune in Coombs when the parrots decided enough was enough, and talked to some nearby horses who organized the hit.

for the real story:
http://www.vancouver...9564/story.html

#87 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:45 PM

Saw that on the news tonight. Sad :(

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#88 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:02 PM

Just a minute Doc! I've been screwed, tattooed, booed... and sterilized. Want to do some grass?

#89 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:08 PM

Saw that on the news tonight. Sad :(

Perhaps.

I must confess to a few moments of ironic laughter, however.
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#90 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:49 AM

Perhaps.

I must confess to a few moments of ironic laughter, however.

My husband gave a snort and said "they should have done that in the first place".

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

Twenty former UVic bunnies gunned down after stealing the neighbours grass. The bunnies had been living with some parrots at a commune in Coombs when the parrots decided enough was enough, and talked to some nearby horses who organized the hit.

for the real story:
http://www.vancouver...9564/story.html

My God, this story rocked...
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#92 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

The neighbor who shot them should be.. well.. I shouldn't say it here :mad:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#93 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

The neighbor who shot them should be.. well.. I shouldn't say it here :mad:

Was perfectly within her rights

#94 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

Was perfectly within her rights

Just because one can, doesn't mean one should...

#95 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

Based on what has been reported in my opinion the fault lies squarely on the lackadaisical attitude of the parrot refuge people as it appears these bunnies escaped up to 2 days before the owner resorted to her legal right to protect her livestock and they did sweet F.A. to solve the problem.

How would you react if a horse broke its leg on a rabbit burrow and had to be put down?

#96 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

^ Hear, hear.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#97 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:11 PM

Send the bunnies to the Playboy mansion.

#98 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:44 AM

All that runs through my head is the crazy amount of money that is being expended on this vermin that is an invasive species. I am thinking about what could be done with all this money that is being spent on the rabbits.

It really is time to get serious about these rabbits, actually any rabbits anywhere on this island, and exterminate them all. They are an introduced species and they have not business being in the wild as they make life harder for species native to this island.

#99 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:45 AM

Coombs rabbit compound fortified to prevent breakouts.

http://www.timescolo...1175/story.html

Eh, that's okay with me Doc

#100 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:15 AM

If they are trying to escape, can we assume they find their present accommodations unappealing?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users