Photo

Rethinking Esquimalt's Town Centre

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:52 AM

I can't think of the project, perhaps Derf would know since it's in his hood'.

Some lines in that letter are a little premature since the public hearing still hasn't happened yet.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:22 AM

^APC would happen before the public hearing. I don't know what project this is either.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:29 AM

No, I haven't heard of it. I would guess that the site is somewhere near the Esquimalt Road/Head Street corridor.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:09 PM

Esquimalt doesn't have its ADP agendas or minutes online, darn it. I'd really like to know what this is about, for two reasons I guess. One, is there a development like this and how come we can't "place" it? But two, if there isn't, why is the T-C publishing such a fear-mongering letter? I mean, to write about "...a numbered company from Vancouver push[ing] a massive 16-storey building through the Esquimalt advisory planning commission Tuesday night over the objections of every member of the public present" is pretty alarmist-sounding stuff ("a numbered company" -- sounds like thugs). So is it true, or not? It sounds impossible, doesn't it? Eg.: "The developer has failed to comply with public notification requirements" -- that sounds improbable, and if it happened, why isn't there an actual news story about it? I mean, does the T-C look into the back-story of some of the letters it publishes, or do the editors just pick the most sensationalist ones? Seriously, I'd really like to know...!

EDIT: Derf just posted the proposal in the Core section -- hadn't seen that before composing this reply. Still, I'd like the paper to have some article on this, vs just publishing the letter...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#25 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:06 PM

From today's T-C:

[url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=c1f7bf95-d186-4455-a63f-dfb730032d74&k=35278:ae6f2]Esquimalt to overhaul town centre with stores, condos[/url:ae6f2]
Kim Westad, Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Esquimalt council and residents got a glimpse last night into what their town could look like if a village core goes ahead.

Although no actual plans were put forward -- that will happen in the spring -- the Vancouver firm that will do that presented council with the results of months of public input, and a few suggestions.

(...)

Hotson's architecture firm has been hired by the municipality to come up with an Esquimalt village core plan incorporating publicly owned land and buildings. That includes everything from the old municipal hall to a patchwork of small lots scattered along and just off Esquimalt Road. Rather than have them develop individually, the town wants an integrated, long-term plan to try to create more of a core.

(...)

...Hotson, the architect behind Granville Island, emphasized that nothing has yet been decided, he was clear that increased residential development on Esquimalt Road is essential.

He sees buildings with retail on the main floor, with residential above. That mixed-used development is a way to increase density in a community with little available land and also creates a lively ambience. With density and ambience come successful retailers.

"The more warm bodies that can walk to the core, the better off it will be for sustainability," Hotson said. "The core is not the greatest place right now."

An economic analyst working with Hotson said the "time is right and the time is now for further economic investment and growth in the village core."

The municipality should also have a clear way of "extracting money from developers" that can be put to use for other needs in the municipality, Hotson said. Incentives, such as density, could also be offered to private owners of land adjacent to publicly owned land.

(...)

Although residents agree on some things for their community, there's also a lot of division, perhaps reflective of the changing demographics. Esquimalt has families who have lived there for generations, but also has a growing community of newcomers, drawn to the lower house prices, recreation and proximity to Victoria and the water.

Some people said they wanted more "upscale" shops, while others said "please do not aim for high-end shops or trendy urban glitz."

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#26 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:33 PM

There's something really delusional at the core of this:

Esquimalt council and residents got a glimpse last night into what their town could look like if a village core goes ahead.

Esquimalt has families who have lived there for generations, but also has a growing community of newcomers, drawn to the lower house prices, recreation and proximity to Victoria and the water.

Good gravy. You'd think Esquimalt was ten miles past Sooke, the way they talk. The proximity to Victoria is zero. It IS Victoria.

#27 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

The proximity to downtown Victoria is no different for the average Esquimalt resident than it is for the average resident of Victoria proper!

#28 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:27 PM

Esquimalt has families who have lived there for generations, but also has a growing community of newcomers...

Families who have lived there for generations? In Esquimalt? Within a few blocks of one another? Seriously, how many such families could there possibly be? I'm sure there are a few, but why on earth would you feature such an exceptional (and tiny) group in your summary of the local demographics?

So we've got ancient lineages and we've got fresh-faced newcomers...but what about everybody else? What about all the people who've moved in and out over the decades, or who've rented an apartment for a few months? News flash: renting an apartment in Esquimalt isn't some new fad.

Here's a better question: Why does Esquimalt get such bizarre consideration by the local media? It's an urban municipality in the heart of Victoria! It's a city neighbourhood. Drives me crazy.

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:38 PM

http://www.globalairphotos.com/large/BC/Esquimalt/All/2007/043/1

http://www.globalairphotos.com/large/BC/Esquimalt/All/2007/025/1

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:40 PM

I have always wondered if holding a plebiscite on unification with Victoria would go pro-victoria. I mean I think it would a lot of good in many ways. Also if the province were to combine any two munis I think Vic and Esq should be at the top of the list.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#31 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:47 PM

"This is a 100-year plan," Hotson said. "You're in this for the long haul."

Right. This is a tender project. Wouldn't want to rush it. If spiffying up Esquimalt Road takes umpteen years, it'll be worth it to do it right.

The municipality itself isn't even a hundred years old.

Check out "Esquimalt Today" from Wikipedia:

Esquimalt's small town atmosphere and close proximity to urban services and amenities combined with its progressive outlook is attracting new commercial, residential and industrial development that complement its many existing amenities including beautiful parks and beaches, scenic waterfront walkways, modern recreational facilities, heritage buildings, schools, library and commercial services. Past news articles have tended to over-emphasize problems with violence, drugs and alcohol while ignoring the community's more positive attributes. Esquimalt is a city of diverse residential neighbourhoods accommodating renters and home owners of varying ages and income levels. With its close proximity to Victoria (2 km west of downtown) Esquimalt is becoming a more desirable location for families to relocate.

#32 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:54 PM

I wonder if anyone from Victoria has ever dated anyone from Esquimalt? I suppose the cultural rift would be too immense. But it sure would be nice to mix the gene pools just a little bit.

Give me a break.

#33 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

Ohhh, aastra, you're on a roll! :-) What can I possibly add beyond saying that the article is the usual drivel dished up by our so-called free press?

I like how you pounce on this quote:

"This is a 100-year plan," Hotson said. "You're in this for the long haul."

That one really stuck in my craw, too. A one-hundred-year plan in 2007? What an odd notion. One would think that the whole point of "planning" today would be not to cast things in iron/ engrave them in stone, but to be innovative, agile, and responsive.

One hundred years. What a laugh.

I wish we had a decent newspaper in Victoria that really reported on these sorts of things, instead of giving us pablum.

#34 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:36 AM

Building three or four lowrise apartment blocks with commercial space on the ground floor should take at least a hundred years, don't you think?

It didn't take much more than 100 years to build all of Greater Victoria (including Esquimalt). Greater Vancouver took even less time.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:54 AM

I'm not sure if I know any long-time Victoria resident that hasn't lived in Esq. in some part of their life. I lived there for a year or two.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#36 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

Yes, but did you live there AND date outside your municipality?

I think aastra's question deserves more consideration.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

I wonder if anyone from Victoria has ever dated anyone from Esquimalt?

Here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

Vic West doesn't count. Vic West is as different from Victoria as South Esquimalt is from South Central Esquimalt.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

But I'm from northeast Vic West. Completely different from west Vic West which borders Esquimalt.

Know it all.

#40 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

I stand corrected. I didn't realize you were from Vic West West.

In my defense, I'm originally from Bay Street East, so you can hardly blame me for my ignorance. I know as little about Vic West West as I do about South Shelbourne. Totally different worlds.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users