• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:31 PM

I did a quick search on this deveopment here but didn't find anything.

From their website it looks like a lot has gone up already and there is more to come, does anyone know of any other detailes about this?

http://www.kettlecre...on.com/main.php

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:29 PM

What do you want to know?

They are small houses on small lots at a reasonable price.

There are no upstairs neighbours, just for you seberry.

They have sold a ton of these places. Contractor is SCANSA, they build a decent place.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

I can't afford one of these places, just thought it was an interesting development with a different focus than many others around.

Are these strata lots? How much customization do builders usually allow or are they typically fairly ridgid in their designs and fixtures?

http://www.kettlecre...es/detached.php
"The Summit" design would probably be the most interesting one for me as it has a basement (great for home theater junkies like me) and a carport which presumably could be enclosed to form a proper garage (if there's no pesky strata to veto it..)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:57 PM

As far as I know they are all private lots with no strata involved.

There are several basic plans that you can customize with upgrades, different materials etc.

If I had to make a choice between one of these or a less than stellar condo downtown I would pick the SFH every time.

But there are lots of people who don't want to maintain a house or are not handy so they prefer a condo. It is all about choices, which is a good thing.

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:56 PM

I would like to see this concept - yet in townhouse form - somewhere in the outlying core.

#6 drbl

drbl
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

"The Summit" design would probably be the most interesting one for me as it has a basement (great for home theater junkies like me) and a carport which presumably could be enclosed to form a proper garage (if there's no pesky strata to veto it..)

I asked, the carport is actually a $6000 upgrade (which is available on all or most of the designs). I toured a Summit but didn't like the regular-height ceilings...I felt too closed in. The Malahat has the same floorplan but mirrored, vaulted ceilings and a loft (no basement, mind you). I believe you are not allowed to enclose the carport...can't remember where I read that though.

There is no strata, but I expect some sort of community group to be formed as they have a list of rules, eg. no boats or RVs can be parked on your driveway, no hanging laundry outside, pet limitations, and no car repairs in your driveway...

#7 drbl

drbl
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:17 PM

I would like to see this concept - yet in townhouse form - somewhere in the outlying core.

I think the plan is for townhouses at Kettle Creek in a future phase

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

There is no strata, but I expect some sort of community group to be formed as they have a list of rules, eg. no boats or RVs can be parked on your driveway, no hanging laundry outside, pet limitations, and no car repairs in your driveway...

There go half the benefits of having a SFH... :rolleyes:
If that's the case, I'd rather live in a condo.

#9 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

It would seem unlikely for the rules to be enforced. Without a strata, would people have to initiate court action themselves?

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

There is no strata, but I expect some sort of community group to be formed as they have a list of rules, eg. no boats or RVs can be parked on your driveway,

A bit harsh, but whatever. Some of those things are as big as a small house and I guess I wouldn't want one beside me.

no hanging laundry outside

Sorry, stupid rule.

pet limitations

I wonder what they mean exactly. No tigers or alligators? Or do they mean large dogs? Because in my experience it's usually the small dogs that cause the most annoyance.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

The no hanging laundry rule is so "trying too hard to be posh".
It's like some of the nightclubs I visited in my youth. Wearing jeans was frowned upon, but somehow the plastic cups the drinks came in were perfectly acceptable.

#12 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:10 PM

posh in Langord to me is using cinder blocks to hoist up your Trans Am in your front yard, not firewood. Oh, and the washing machine goes inside the house.

Anyone remember the song "Langford Man" that used to play on the Q?

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

posh in Langord to me is using cinder blocks to hoist up your Trans Am in your front yard, not firewood. Oh, and the washing machine goes inside the house.

http://www.theq.fm/!data/audio/The_Q!'s_All_Bad_Band_-_Langford_Man.mp3

#14 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

I would totally buy a small house on a small lot. I stayed at one of these places in Parksville for a long weekend, and thought it was just the kind of house I'd be happy to buy as a permanent house, not a summer getaway! Something like this would suit me just fine (much closer to Victoria, 'cause we aren't retired, and won't be for a long time). Can't afford to move/buy yet, though.

#15 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

When were you last there? 1970?

I thought we moved past the gratuitus slagging.

#16 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

Shirley, you jest. April Fools joke? I hope so. No car repairs in your driveway???

A short play by Snub;

RCMP: Sir, I was driving by and noticed you had the hood up on your car.
Me: Yes sir, I was just checking my oil level.
RCMP: Why do you have a screwdriver in your hand?
Me: I was going to check if there were any loose hose clamps on the water hoses. I don't want antifreeze leeking on the ground. It is harmful to animals if they drink it.
RCMP: AHA! You are working on your car. Since this is a first offence I will write you a ticket. Cost is $167.00. Next time I catch you it's of to jail for you.
Me: Thankyou for being leniant.

The End.

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

I take back my endorsement of the laundry line. During last night's storm, a pair of my grandmother's underwear flew off the laundry line and landed on the windshield of a passing bus, completely obscuring the driver's vision and nearly causing a tragic accident.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

Looks like you guys will be sitting with gumgum's kids at the next VV outing ;)

Let's bring this thread back on topic, please :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:42 PM

Who was off topic? Wasn't me.

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:10 PM

Sorry about that. I lost my mind.

These aren't too bad. It's nice to see a new house that doesn't have an ugly two car garage as its main feature.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users