Photo

[Langford] Kettle Creek Station | U/C

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

No laundry line rule pees me off to no end.
You're burning enough fossil fuels to get to hither and back. Let's at least have the option to air dry our delicates!

#22 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:19 AM

I think poking fun of silly strata rules is on topic :confused:

It is Langford so I can see the possibility of cars sitting on blocks for extended periods of time, however the point of having a driveway and garage (if you'd be allowed to enclose the carport) is that you can work on your car.

As for the houses with no carports, they're cute and all but I'd hate to leave my car outside all the time.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#23 KCS Sales

KCS Sales
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:32 AM

Morning all,

you are correct, there is no strata and yes, there is a building scheme in place. A building scheme is a set of restrictions that a developer will register on the title to the lots to ensure a community that is uniform in appearance and neat and tidy. . We have done this to protect your investment and ensure that the neighborhood and Community remain welcoming to residents and future owners. You will find that almost all developments that are not strata will have a building scheme.

clotheslines: No clothing, laundry or other items may be hung from any apparatus on the Lot that is visible from the road way or other Lots in the development, other than umbrella style clotheslines in the rear yard. (so yes you can air-dry your delecates ;))

Pets: we have restricted up to 2 cats and 2 dogs and 2 birds and a 'reasonable number of small caged mammals'.

Boats/RV's: unfortunately, there just isn't room to park a boat or RV without that being the main attraction on a lot, there is no way to hide them so we made the decision to restrict parking of boats and RV's.

vehicle repairs: sebberry you are exactly right, I already have a neighbor that started to tear his car apart in his front yard...right across from the sales centre... sales quickly received feedback from neighbors and potential purchasers that they "would not want to live next door to that"

It is a difficult task to create a community, but we are trying to do just that. We want Kettle Creek Station to be a vibrant and welcoming community that you would be proud to call home.

I live at Kettle Creek, the neighborhood is growing quickly and the people that I have met are all wonderful! I hope I or the sales staff can answer any questions you have.

sincerely,
Dana.

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:10 AM

Many municipalities around North America are seeing the errors of their ways and are scrapping their outdated anti-clothesline bylaws. Even an original 1960s neighbourhood designer now realizes clothesline rules were a bad idea and now favours air-drying as an essential part of modern green living.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#25 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

clotheslines: No clothing, laundry or other items may be hung from any apparatus on the Lot that is visible from the road way or other Lots in the development, other than umbrella style clotheslines in the rear yard. (so yes you can air-dry your delecates ;))

I think that this is a bit short-sighted. You risk a lot of negative publicity if you restrict homeowners in their attempts to reduce energy consumption by banning clotheslines. I think that there used to be a perception that clotheslines were the mark of a lower class neighbourhood, where its denizens were too poor to afford a fancy electric clothes dryer.

Today, with how ubiquitous washer/dryers are (mainly because even energy efficient front-loaders are very affordable), the existance of a clothesline is almost a badge of honour, and outward mark of one's greenness.

All that said, at least the umbrella style clothes dryer is a compromise; although not near as effective as a traditional clothesline.

EDIT: Also, I have friends who have bought there - it is a nice little development, although not my bag. It will be a nice addition, once it's built out.

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:05 AM

Thanks KCS for coming on here.

Houses with car-ports - can the owner enclose them to form a proper garage?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

I think the umbrella clothes dryer is a reasonable compromise. Adding a clothes line probably means an extra pole in the yard, you can't just hook onto the nearest telephone pole anymore. And if you attach to a tree you probably get fined and jailed. So who needs more poles.

Thanks, KCS for coming on the forum to answer questions! :)

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

Seems weird that so many convenants can be put on a private property. Who would enforce it? Once the project is built out and all sold, would it require one property owner to sue another property owner? Can't imagine the police would do anything and I would hope that the city inspectors would have better things to do... But would it be their jurisdiction anyways?

It just doesn't make sense. I can understand property covenants such as that on the Hudson Condos that maintains the ability of owners to rent out their suites in perpituity as that is a benefit to the city as a whole and the city required it as part of the development permit.

The fact that an owner has hung a clothes line hardly impacts the greater community.

#29 KCS Sales

KCS Sales
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

Thanks KCS for coming on here.

Houses with car-ports - can the owner enclose them to form a proper garage?

An owner cannot enclose the carport - Langford requires 2 full parking spaces on the lot so if the car port is enclosed we lose a parking space.

There are some plans that can accommodate a garage if the purchaser is willing to work with the plans and pay the extra cost for the driveway construction, retaining walls, etc. The garage goes under the house so you can still get two required parking spots in the driveway, only some lots/plan combinations will work or you end up with a very steep slope on the driveway. There are two homes built with garages already.

Dana

#30 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

Langford requires two parking spaces in addition to a garage for 3 in all? That's unfortunate. For one, it eats up lots of good space inside the house but more importantly it shows a lack of recognition of the trend towards people owning fewer cars and using greener transportation.

A garage still provides two parking spots just like a covered carport does. I'm not sure what else a garage is other than an enclosed parking space.

#31 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:54 PM

I already have a neighbor that started to tear his car apart in his front yard...right across from the sales centre... sales quickly received feedback from neighbors and potential purchasers that they "would not want to live next door to that"

Dana.

Oh My God! I hope you reminded him that he now lived in New Langford, fashioned after Oak Bay and Broadmead. Only cheaper to live in.

Where will the poor folk live?

You should put a fence around Kettle Creek Chips....er, Station. And a gate with some armed gaurds.

Welcome to Florida. ( Only cheaper, with crappy weather ).

A short play, by Snub:

Armed Gaurd: Halt!! Where do you think you're going?
Friend of Snub: I am going to visit my friend, Snub.
Armed Gaurd: It looks to me that you have car parts in your car!
Friend of Snub: Yes sir, they are car parts. He asked me to get them for him as I own an auto parts store.
Armed Gaurd: Were you intending to install these parts on Snub's car?
Friend Of Snub; Uh....Yeah....Problem with that is....?
Armed Gaurd: Yes!! It is illegal to install parts or even check your oil in this controlled subdivision. Since this is is your first offence I will issue you a ticket for $167.00. Next time, you will be sent to jail.
Friend of Snub: Thankyou for being leniant, this won't happen again. By the way, would you like to come over to my place after you get off work. you are so handsome.
Armed Gaurd: Hmmm... I will give that some thought!

The End.....for now.

Stay tuned for next weeks episode of "New Langford.....As The World Churns"

#32 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:08 PM

If it wasn't a little out of my price range, KCS sounds like a decent place to call home. I wouldn't be happy with the garage/driveway regulations. I only have one car and I would want a basement for a home-theater setup. The garage would be used only for storing and working on the car.

I realize this is a Langford decision and not that of KCS, but forcing a one-car owner to have two parking spaces in front of the garage when the car would be garage kept the majority of the time seems like a downright silly waste of land. Not only that, it is a waste of space inside the house that could be used for living.

It's hard to see how much area that concrete pad takes up, but it seems like a lot of space only to have a car stored inside the garage. Of course, with less living space inside the house, the garage will end up being used for storing piles of cardboard boxes and other junk and the car will live outside.

Just my .02 for whatever it is worth.

#33 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

The basic problem is putting in utopia in Langford. Kind of like fitting a square in a circle or a circle in a triangle. It doesn't fit, however you do it.

For your listening pleasure: Langford Man

http://www.theq.fm/!...angford_Man.mp3
"I know nothing"

#34 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:19 PM

If it wasn't a little out of my price range, KCS sounds like a decent place to call home.

With all those restrictions? I can't even imagine living there. Sorry, but I enjoy my freedom from big brother watching over.

Me on the front porch........( Just Kidding ):

#35 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

The basic problem is putting in utopia in Langford. Kind of like fitting a square in a circle or a circle in a triangle. It doesn't fit, however you do it.

Right on hermano!

Lest we not forget.....Old Langford:

#36 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

With all those restrictions? I can't even imagine living there. Sorry, but I enjoy my freedom from big brother watching over.

It's hardly a lot of restrictions. The only bothersome one is the parking/driveway/garage one and that is a Langford rule.

You're allowed two dogs AND two cats, that's two dogs and two cats more than many condos allow. You CAN use a clothes hanger outside.

I'm not sure what else is so restrictive there.

KCS Sales: Have you received any feedback from buyers/lookers about the driveway/garage issue?

#37 KCS Sales

KCS Sales
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

KCS Sales: Have you received any feedback from buyers/lookers about the driveway/garage issue?

It doesn't seem to be an issue.. There has not been negative feedback from purchasers/prospective buyers that I am aware of. Most people seem to be happy that the streetscape is open and uncluttered and you don't see a wall of garage doors as you drive through the community.

Dana.

#38 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

I'd much rather look out across the road at an architecturally pleasing enclosed garage than large patches of grey concrete covered in oil drippings from a rusted out, dinged up family minivan that never gets washed.

I had my eye on KCS almost a year ago but job instability since then means I am a former prospective buyer.

#39 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

Just out of curiosity, how much "customization" can one do with one of these houses?

I see that there are upgrades listed such as granite counters, etc.. but could an owner customize the type of granite and style/features of the cabinetry or do they have to pick from a pre-determined pallette of styles and features?

#40 KCS Sales

KCS Sales
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

Just out of curiosity, how much "customization" can one do with one of these houses?

I see that there are upgrades listed such as granite counters, etc.. but could an owner customize the type of granite and style/features of the cabinetry or do they have to pick from a pre-determined pallette of styles and features?

The Developer has been very accommodating to customize homes to people’s needs. There is a palette for those that aren't sure what they want and people have also custom ordered some items. The best thing to do would be to come out and talk to the sales staff about your customizing needs and wants.

Dana.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users