Photo

Shelbourne Corridor | Shelbourne Valley Action Plan

• Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#261 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:54 AM

The changes affecting Shelbourne Plaza would have been shown to the plaza owners/operators for review and acceptance, which would be considered sufficient.

There is a risk of seriously confusing the general public if they did go the way of continuously releasing updated designs.

#262 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:09 PM

The changes affecting Shelbourne Plaza would have been shown to the plaza owners/operators for review and acceptance, which would be considered sufficient.

There is a risk of seriously confusing the general public if they did go the way of continuously releasing updated designs.

Do you know for a fact that the owner/operators have been kept up to date with the changes?

There is a risk of misleading the public by not releasing updated designs...until they are cast in concrete.

#263 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

Do you know for a fact that the owner/operators have been kept up to date with the changes?

There is a risk of misleading the public by not releasing updated designs...until they are cast in concrete.

Yes because when they were consulted on the access points in Option 3 they were concerned, and changes resulted from that that are significant for the owner and for access to the plaza but not significant for the plan overall.

They can't keep paying consultants for new designs for every single change.  That would be too expensive.

#264 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:28 PM

They can't keep paying consultants for new designs for every single change.  That would be too expensive.

Yes, we all know about design changes for projects like the new bridge, bus lanes on Douglas Street, the McKenzie Interchange, sewage plant locations, and numerous other projects. 

It seems like here in Victoria we have to "experiment" a bit before we find out that there was an adequate and less expensive option.

#265 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:18 PM

Was at Shelbourne Plaza today, looked at the left turn and I'm willing to bet the left turn will be removed and the lane by Starbucks will be reconfigured to accommodate the traffic light. It will probably be an exit lane only

#266 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

Last week I had to drive back and forth along Shelbourne between downtown and Home Depot. I was trying to envision it as one lane in each direction, judging from the volume of traffic.  On Friday I got an idea of what that will look like as I drove into the city on the number one past the burst water pipe problem.

#267 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:46 PM

Last week I had to drive back and forth along Shelbourne between downtown and Home Depot. I was trying to envision it as one lane in each direction, judging from the volume of traffic.  On Friday I got an idea of what that will look like as I drove into the city on the number one past the burst water pipe problem.

I think a big part of the congestion on Shelbourne are the left-turning vehicles and cars trying to pass cyclists.  It doesn't help that drivers seldom leave enough room to allow other cars to freely pass cyclists.

It'd be interesting to see traffic flow studies with one lane in each direction with properly designed turn lanes at the intersections.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#268 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

Car-centric Shelbourne Street is heading for a major makeover that includes separated bike lanes, wide walkways and boulevards — but not likely before the end of 2021.

The final Shelbourne Valley Action Plan will head to a public hearing on April 25, said Cameron Scott, Saanich manager of community planning.

But even with council’s expected go-head to accelerate $12.5 million for 2.3 kilometres of pedestrian and cycle-friendly measures identified last Dec. 5, another year of detailed design work would still be needed to get the show on the road, he said.

At the December meeting, the late Coun. Vic Derman noted that Shelbourne is a “nasty and aggressive” corridor for non-drivers, with motor vehicles allotted 90 per cent of the space from North Dairy Road to Torquay Drive.

*snip*

As for sidewalks, some are in poor shape and very close to the curb on some stretches of Shelbourne, less than ideal for noise and overall sense of safety, Scott said.

Shorter pedestrian crossing distances and longer crossing times at major intersections and medians to provide refuge from car traffic are also on the agenda for pedestrian comfort.

All bus stops on the corridor will get new shelters and boulevards will be added near shopping centres such as Hillside and University Heights.

“During discussions on SVAP, my main concern was to keep lanes available for current and future transit use,” said Coun. Susan Brice, chair of the Greater Victoria Transit Commission.

The UVic Bike Connector, an existing route from Pear Street at Shelbourne to UVic will be improved by the addition of bike lanes on Poplar Avenue and enhancement of the crossing of Cedar Hill Cross Road at Iona Drive.

The block between Derby Road and Cedar Avenue is planned to connect with the Bowker Creek greenway — a route primarily for pedestrians and cyclists with some access for vehicles on residential streets.

Motorists will still have four lanes to use for two-thirds of the Shelbourne corridor, including the southern half from North Dairy Road to Christmas Avenue.

Most, but not all, left-turn accesses to businesses and side streets will be retained.

http://www.timescolo...uild-1.15164931

Edited by amor de cosmos, 13 April 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#269 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:27 AM

The Shelbourne Valley Action Plan passed last night unanimously. Onward to actually building the thing, which (assuming Saanich Council passes their budget tonight) is fully funded

• thundergun, nagel and nerka like this

#270 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:33 AM

Re-envisioned-North-Dairy-Rd.-proposal-responds-to-Shelbourne-Valley-Action-Plan-gets-nod-to-go-to-public-hearing.jpg

An artist's rendering of 1588 North Dairy Road, a 62-unit condominium proposal developed in response to Saanich's newly-introduced Shelbourne Valley Action Plan urban planning and development guidelines. The project is scheduled for a public hearing on April 24th.

Re-envisioned North Dairy Rd. proposal responds to Shelbourne Valley Action Plan, gets nod to go to public hearing
https://victoria.cit...public-hearing/

Victoria-based Abstract Developments has re-envisioned its initial proposal for a four-storey residential building along the Saanich-Victoria municipal border, Citified has learned.

Based on feedback gathered through multiple rounds of community engagement sessions and in response to Saanich’s Shelbourne Valley Action Plan (SVAP), the project is destined to become one of the first examples of the municipality’s newly-introduced development guidelines for the Shelbourne Street corridor.

Planned for 1588 North Dairy Road between Keats and Wordsworth streets, the 62-unit condominium will feature a mix of one and two-bedroom residences within short walking distance to the Hillside Shopping Centre commercial district and major bus routes.

Abstract submitted its development concept to Saanich in April of 2017 with a subsequent Committee of the Whole airing before council in December.

Subsequent community feedback encouraged the stepping-back of the fourth floor to the north, along with underground parking in lieu of above-grade stalls, both of which Abstract introduced as part of its latest design concept. 

Private outdoor gathering spaces plus changes to both the building’s landscaping and exterior façade were also outcomes of several months of community engagement and feedback from councillors.

On April 9th Saanich council unanimously approved sending the project to a public hearing slated for 7PM on Tuesday, April 24th at Saanich Municipal Hall’s Council Chambers. Members of the public will have the opportunity to address council regarding the project at the hearing. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#271 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,968 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:57 AM

The project will be broken into three phases so that crews can upgrade Shelbourne Street from Torquay Drive to North Dairy Road over several years, McLeod explained. Phase one will likely begin in early 2020 and each phase will take between 12 and 18 months to complete.

https://www.vicnews....-begin-in-2020/

mckenzie to torquay is phase #1.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 November 2019 - 04:58 AM.

#272 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 05:28 AM

Trees fall along Shelbourne to make way for bike lanes, underground utilities, bus stops, sidewalks

The second phase of the Shelbourne Street overhaul is expected to take 24 months and cost about $23 million.
screenshot-www.timescolonist.com-2022.10.04-09_27_47.png

#273 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 05:35 AM

Two lanes each way in the renewed Shelbourne

Re: “Appalled at the loss of trees along Shelbourne,” Oct. 1.

I am saddened by the removal of so many trees along Shelbourne Street as part of the road renewal.

However, amongst the many things that the sad removal of these trees will cause, it is not the case that “Shelbourne is to become a one-lane only for vehicles travelling in each direction, instantly creating major gridlock.” It will retain two lanes in each direction.

Susan Hamilton
Victoria

Shocking destruction of Shelbourne trees

As a cyclist, I appreciate the addition of dedicated cycling lanes to Shelbourne Avenue.

I wish to register my dismay and sorrow, however, at the wholesale destruction of mature trees over a three-block stretch; hardly “as few as possible” as promised in the “Improvement Plan” for street upgrades.

Moreover, planting three replacements each is no substitute for the considerable effects those trees had for our community — both in terms of climate impact mitigation (one simple example is the cooling effect of the shade cast by those trees) and for the well-being of the people who live, walk and cycle along this corridor.

I am truly shocked that any council that professes to respect the environment could have sanctioned the destruction of this green canopy.

Jan Norman
Saanich

A double blow against the environment

I am aghast at the wholesale destruction of mature trees to facilitate the Shelbourne Valley Land Use plan. Like many others I was unaware that accomplishment of the plan would involve the mass destruction of mature trees.

No doubt their loss will be compensated by plenty of highway green painting and platitudes about cycling and sustainability.

The loss of the trees is the first blow against environmental quality, the second is that it is intended that population density will increase in the Shelbourne corridor generating even more traffic, despite the wishful thinking by the municipality and cycle lobby about alternate forms of transport. The trees died in vain.

Frank Duerden
Victoria

https://www.timescol...th-care-5905648

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2022 - 05:36 AM.

#274 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 06:44 AM

Maybe there’s some politicking going on. We all know trees have to come down to make way for this stuff, but it’s good politics to blame elected officials doing it, if your goal is to get someone else elected.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#275 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:21 PM

A section near Pear will be closed for a month soon.

#276 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:31 PM

https://www.saanich....vements Project.

#277 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:39 PM

The "Vancouver Street-ing" of Shelbourne is a tragic mess.

#278 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 07:10 PM

The "Vancouver Street-ing" of Shelbourne is a tragic mess.

"This work includes complete replacement of the water, sewer, and storm drain systems through this corridor, as well as road, sidewalk, and landscape improvements."

Yes, this all sounds outrageous /s

#279 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 07:12 PM

They are transing our major corridors.
  • Nparker likes this

#280 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 07:17 PM

"This work includes complete replacement of the water, sewer, and storm drain systems through this corridor, as well as road, sidewalk, and landscape improvements.".

Quoting Saanich's press release is far from convincing.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users