Victoria restaurants in business for over 30 years

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:01 PM

^Hm, I confess when going out for dinner the thought of going to Zellers family restaurant doesn't come to mind.

As far as the oldest restaurant in the same location--is it safe to assume it's the Empress dining room?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:43 PM

Is the provincial cafeteria in the Douglas Building and the Legislative cafeteria still open to the public, or did the Fiberals eat them too?

#43 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:53 PM

As far as the oldest restaurant in the same location--is it safe to assume it's the Empress dining room?

I think we have a winner.

#44 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

Is the provincial cafeteria in the Douglas Building and the Legislative cafeteria still open to the public, or did the Fiberals eat them too?

The guy that maintains the Victoria Burger Blog ate there last summer but I don't know if he had special permision to do so (he dined with a reporter from the TC)

Also of note is the discussion that follows with Matt R in regards to the Marble Arch

#45 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

And, speaking of the Empress, the Bengal Lounge has also been in existence for well over 30 years...

#46 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

How about Millo's.......windmill

James Bay Tearoom

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

Mary's Cafe at the airport. 1940's?

This place no longer exists. There's a White Spot restaurant and a Tim Horton's at the airport now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

The guy that maintains the Victoria Burger Blog ate there last summer but I don't know if he had special permision to do so (he dined with a reporter from the TC)

Also of note is the discussion that follows with Matt R in regards to the Marble Arch

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the public can have lunch at the legislature without any special permission (or so I was told).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the public can have lunch at the legislature without any special permission (or so I was told).

Yes, you just have to show ID.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

(Mary's) This place no longer exists. There's a White Spot restaurant and a Tim Horton's at the airport now.

Wow, you are so off today.

http://www.urbanspoo...oon-Cafe-Sidney

I called, they answered, open for business daily.

#51 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:33 PM

This place no longer exists. There's a White Spot restaurant and a Tim Horton's at the airport now.

I think he means Mary's Bleue Moon Cafe on Canora right across the street from the airport. I believe it does date back to the war years in one form or another. I went there a few months ago and recommend it for reasonably priced hearty fare.

I think we have a winner.

Yes, but I'm not certain the Empress dining room has always been in the same location in the main wing.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

To be fair, "at the airport" implies that the place is in the terminal and not a kilometer from the passenger terminal.

Know it all.

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

Since we're not really honouring the "no chains" rule, I'll mention the A&W on Douglas Street and also the Pantry and the White Spot.

Is there still a restaurant in Sears?

#54 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:26 PM

It's called Mary's Blue Moon Cafe now, and it is still in the original building, with an addition. Lot's of wartime fliers memorabilia. Was there last fall.

How about Haultain Fish and Chips, in business since 1924.

#55 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

Personally, I wouldn't count a hotel dining room. I don't see it as the same as a stand-alone resto opened by an individual.
Hotels already have a potential captive customer base, people in a strange town and sometimes its raining outside. The stand-alone place has to make it on food and service.

#56 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

To be fair, "at the airport" implies that the place is in the terminal and not a kilometer from the passenger terminal.

Not at all. "At the main terminal" implies just that. "At the airport" implies, to me at any one of the several hangar complexes surrounding the airport. ie: Viking Air at the airport or the Victoria Flying Club at the airport...
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#57 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

^ On that note, the Victoria Flying Club has had a cafe operating long before I took my first solo........let me see......how many years ago was that?.........yikes....oh yeah Mary's was there then as well.

#58 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

By they, you mean the guy that sold it right? The guy that bought it changed the name.

You can say it anyway you want, but Foo Hongs is gone and never coming back. A tragic loss to this city in my opinion.

#59 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

Harbour House celebrates 30 years in business next week.

#60 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:26 AM

Is that place any good?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users