Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

CRD
Public Tours of Water Facilities
May 3-8, 2010
http://www.crd.bc.ca...Tours2010ad.pdf

I know these tours have been available for a number of years, but I have never been.
Has anyone been?
(and have a review)

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

CRD
May 3-8, 2010

I know these tours have been available for a number of years, but I have never been.
Has anyone been?
(and have a review)

Oh, great post. I'd like to go. My parents went on it many years ago and found it very informative. This was +/- 15 years ago, so part of the tour of course was showing them how they logged part of the watershed and the log sales helped keep the cost of water down. :)

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

A VV member recently trekked out to the Jordan River Diversion Dam (presumably this is the dam referred to in the CRD's water tour document).

Check out photos and read more information on the Jordan River Diversion Dam here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

A VV member recently trekked out to the Jordan River Diversion Dam (presumably this is the dam referred to in the CRD's water tour document).

:confused:

Sooke Lake dam. Read up, Mike.

Flickr photostream of the tour.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

Yeah yeah. A dam is a dam ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

I did the free tour two years ago. You meet at the CRD office near the Six Mile Pub. Reservations were required. They had two buses lined up, you bring your own lunch. After driving up to the south end of Shawnigan Lake you enter the watershed. We were the only vehicles on the road once inside. The tour stops at several places before breaking for lunch on top of the Sooke Lake Dam. The tour ended at the ultra violet treatment plant near the Humpback Reservoir, before returning to the CRD office.

The tour is well worth the time spent.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:09 AM

I've booked in for Tuesday, May 4th, if anyone else is coming and wants to meet.

It says "remember to bring a lunch and a beverage". No water available on the trip?

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

Oh there is water, but they know better than to drink it ;)

Know it all.

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

Sooke Lake is usually spilling over the dam by now. It is at about 83% with another 2 metres to go.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:01 AM

Bringing Water to Victoria Documentary

The development of the Sooke lake flow line from 1913-1915 was one of the greatest engineering accomplishments in BC at that time. With current world issues such as a lack of access to clean water, shortages in California and wars being fought globally over “blue gold”, the maintenance and access to clean public water is all the more timely and relevant. Victoria and it’s surrounding municipalities are blessed with one of the cleanest and most plentiful systems of clean water in Canada. This film tells the story of how this all happened and is based on the book of the same name by Charles W. Tolman.  Previous audio and text errors have been fixed! – a film by Eric Tolman

http://www.victoriab...ia-documentary/

• Mark2 likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

I know a resident living near Cowichan Lake and they are already concerned about water shortages this summer do to the lack of snow.

Sooke Lake is now down to 99.9% and water restrictions go into effect in the CRD tomorrow.

Stage 1 of the Water Conservation Bylaw Use Schedule is in effect May 1 through September 30, each and every year.

The CRD appreciates your water saving efforts and would like to thank all residents in the Capital Region for your continued support.

Water Conservation Bylaw Watering Schedule

Even Addresses  

Lawn watering allowed
Wednesdays & Saturdays
4 –10am and 7–10pm

Odd Addresses

Lawn watering allowed

Thursdays and Sundays

4-10am and 7 - 10 pm

https://www.crd.bc.c...ering-schedules

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,675 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:14 AM

...Sooke Lake is now down to 99.9% and water restrictions go into effect in the CRD tomorrow.

Oh my 99.9% of full capacity at the start of water restrictions. Whatever shall we do? :whyme:

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:48 PM

Oh my 99.9% of full capacity at the start of water restrictions. Whatever shall we do? :whyme:

I thought that would get a rise out of someone. :)

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,675 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

I thought that would get a rise out of someone. :)

Glad to be that someone. 

:banana:

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:59 AM

Limits on water-system growth ‘discriminatory’: CRD director 

A simmering question of whether to restrict growth by refusing to turn on the water taps could soon boil over at the Capital Regional District.

The issue has arisen as CRD directors review the latest draft of what’s being called the Regional Sustainability Strategy, a revised and expanded version of the CRD’s Regional Growth Strategy.

Included in the sustainability strategy is a provision that no new water servicing be allowed outside municipal boundaries. That means there would be no possibility of CRD water being piped into the unincorporated Juan de Fuca electoral area except in East Sooke, Otter Point and Port Renfrew.

“The matter at issue is whether CRD piped water should be made available to those areas outside the urban growth boundary that do not already have access,” Signe Bagh, CRD senior manager regional and strategic planning, told directors Wednesday.

Opinions on the issue appear to be evenly split, she said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.27it0BK0.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#16 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

What do they think we are, California?

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

CRD
May 3-8, 2010

Has anyone been?
(and have a review)

Yes it is a great tour.

They bus you from the CRD office near the Six Mile Pub up to the entrance to the watershed at the south end of Shawnigan Lake. They meander around inside the watershed and stop on top of the dam for lunch. Lunch is not provided, and nether are swim suits. After lunch you go through the Kapoor Tunnel to the treatment centre, at least I think that's how they got there as I was having my afternoon nap at the time.

Seriously it is worth the time but make a reservation as the tour fills up quickly.

#18 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:10 PM

Victoria Historical Society presents “Bringing Water to Victoria, 1843-1915” with Charles Tolman. Thursday, September 24 @ 7:30pm at James Bay New Horizons Centre, 234 Menzies St.

Visit: www.victoriahistoricalsociety.bc.ca

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users