CANCELLED
Johnson Street Gateway
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1314-1324 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, live-work)
Sales status: in planning
The eight-storey Johnson Street Gateway/Northern Junk condominium and ground floor commercial development is c... (view full profile)
Learn more about Johnson Street Gateway on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Johnson Street Gateway (Northern Junk) | condos; commercial | 7-storeys | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1740 replies to this topic

#661 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

We will confirm the second meeting date but the Heritage Meeting is on the 14th.

Is the heritage meeting open to the public?

#662 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

^Yes, but like most committee meetings, no input can be made--watching only. The public hearing is the legal means for people to give their opinion. You can also write a letter.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#663 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

And time of day on the 14th?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#664 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

I can write the TC Headline for the story now though:

No valentine for Northern Junk Proposal

Please prove me wrong Heritage Committee by following the City Heritage Guidelines.

It has a whole new look!

#665 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

The project will go to the Heritage Advisory Committee on the 14th. at 12:30. No speakers allowed but it appears that letters directed to the Heritage Planner, Steve Barber (sbarber@victoria.ca), will be forwarded to the Committee.
Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

#666 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

Sorry Jon, that link doesn't seem to be working.

From: Hallmark Heritage Society [mailto:hmksoc@telus.net]
Sent: Thursday, Feb 9, 2012 11:19 AM
To: Hallmark Society
Subject: Update of Gold Rush Warehouses

The schedule of meetings that must take place before the Victoria City Council can finally consider the re-development proposed for the property surrounding the Gold Rush Warehouses at 1314 – 1316/1318 Wharf Street will continue as follows:
1.The Heritage Advisory Committee will meet at Noon on Tuesday, February 14th and the changes to the Gold Rush Warehouses and the new development will be discussed at this meeting and a recommendation will be made by the Committee and forwarded to Council for consideration. Council can accept or reject that recommendation.
2.The Advisory Design Panel will meet at Noon on Wednesday, February 22nd to discuss how the proposed development meets the various design guidelines with, we hope, specifically the Old Town Design Guidelines. Again, a recommendation will be made by the Committee and forwarded to Council for consideration. Council can accept or reject that recommendation.
3.The general public can attend either of these meetings but no public input is allowed; they may sit and observe only. If you can find the time, it may prove valuable for you to attend and observe how these development matters work their way through the steps towards approval or rejection by the City of Victoria.
The final steps would involve public hearings during which any of us can get up and speak as to how we feel the development reflects our historic City and how the proposal meets the City’s own “Old Town Design Guidelines”
We ask you to contact members of Council to express your opinion. http://www.victoria....r_contact.shtml
Watch our website, Facebook page, and blog for more information.
Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

#667 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

Where exactly are the meetings being held? I would assume City Hall? Is there a specific room? I would like to attend a few of these if time permits.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#668 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Yes, at City Hall upstairs in one of the rooms adjacent to the council chambers. You'll be directed on where to go if you're not sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#669 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Meeting Agenda....

http://www.victoria....a120214_hac.pdf
Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

#670 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

Check out this story form today's TC. It has some classic quotes from Victoria's heritage "experts".

http://www.timescolo...0847/story.html

#671 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

So many buildings in Victoria have gained or lost floors over the decades... nobody ever cared a bit about it. But in the past year or so the very notion of adding a floor has become blasphemy.

#672 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Come on aastra, you know that a crumbling pile of bricks is far more appreciated by tourists visiting "Old town" than a nicely restored herritage building that has a new purpose and won't fall over in the wind...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#673 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Give Mr. Johnson some points for his comment:

"It changes the heritage but at the same time preserves the heritage," he said, adding that some of the buildings are at risk of demolition or worse - fire.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1mCgRp9U6

Here's the same debate about rooftop additions in Washington, DC:
http://www.washingto...c-preservation/

Original brickwork has been restored. The doors are painted French blue, with the name of the occupant in bronze above them. A nine-foot-tall third floor addition sits on top, with a slate mansard roof and recessed glass doors under a graceful awning.

It’s the last piece that’s given the building’s new owner—the Heritage Foundation—a migraine since it bought the building in January 2008 and poured $3.9 million into renovations. The conservative redoubt might have to tear the third floor off altogether, if the D.C. Court of Appeals doesn’t rule their way. Heritage’s persecutor? Another bastion of traditional values: The Capitol Hill Restoration Society, founded 50 years ago to preserve the neighborhood’s glorious architecture.

#674 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

NJ at Heritage Advisory Committee today at 12:30. City Hall, Committee Room 1.
Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

#675 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

Good luck Jon!

#676 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

1 for and 1 against when I left.

It has a whole new look!

#677 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

1 for and 1 against when I left.

When I left the guy at the head of the table was complaining about the glazing between the two heritage buildings.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#678 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

That was Ken Johnson of Hallmark fame. I believe I was sitting just to your left Marko.

Paul Merrick gave a really good presentation. And there was a good walk through of how the project meets the Old Town Guidelines.

The one member who did not like the project that I got to hear held up a copy of the guidelines and said the new building did not look like the buildings on the cover.

http://heritagebc.si...d_final2(1).pdf

Umm yeah this is a new building. I guess he wanted a disney building...

It has a whole new look!

#679 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

So despite the optics of running a campaign against the project, Ken Johnson proceeded to chair the Heritage Advisory Committee? That's interesting.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#680 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

held up a copy of the guidelines and said the new building did not look like the buildings on the cover.

Is there any hope for the human race?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users