CANCELLED
Johnson Street Gateway
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1314-1324 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, live-work)
Sales status: in planning
The eight-storey Johnson Street Gateway/Northern Junk condominium and ground floor commercial development is c... (view full profile)
Learn more about Johnson Street Gateway on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Johnson Street Gateway (Northern Junk) | condos; commercial | 7-storeys | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1740 replies to this topic

#1581 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:16 PM

At first glance, I don't like the bulk. My first impression is that it's a design we would love in most locations, but this spot has been so hyped who knows what's appropriate anymore. I like the textures and and variety of colour with the grey, charcoal, browns and blue.

#1582 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:51 PM

some more pics, from p.6, p.15. p.22 & p.32 of the most recent pdf here
https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00294

i think the two old warehouses are visible (or more visible) from wharf st in this version

Attached Images

• p6.JPG
  • p15.JPG
  • p22.JPG
  • p32.JPG

• Kungsberg likes this

#1583 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

...who knows what's appropriate anymore...

The 2012 design was very nearly perfect for this site and for the life of me I cannot comprehend what the powers that be found so objectionable about it. 

• rambaldi likes this

#1584 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:55 PM

Pam will have herself permanently affixed to the NJ buildings before she lets this design get built in this location. 

#1585 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:57 PM

Ooooh thanks amor, those additional angles look, dare I say, good.
  • tiger11 likes this

#1586 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:57 PM

I should add, that I actually rather like this form. Perhaps move it to the apex lot on Douglas & Humboldt.

• DavidSchell likes this

#1587 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:04 PM

Those pics are better. Still not getting the pavilion.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1588 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:22 PM

Those pics are better. Still not getting the pavilion.

p.24 of the same pdf

Development Services: Comments related to the views of the Northern Junk Buildings from the previous August 23, 2016 Application Review Summary remain relevant. Increased glazing on commercial retail units cannot be considered as increasing views through a building given the variability of tenant improvement layouts and operations.

Response: Reconfiguration of massing on site has served to open significantly larger view access to the Northern Junk Buildings as seen from Wharf street. A one-storey commercial pavilion helps to reestablish the old Wharf Street alignment in the form of a ‘mews’ and defines the pedestrian connections from south and east to the harbor. The pavilion is separated from the main building, providing pedestrian connections open to the sky. The scale of the pavilion is in keeping with the existing structures in order not to overwhelm or obscure them as was noted in reviews of the previous proposals.

Development Services: The shift North of the South end of the building and the relocation of the lobby is noted and is an improvement to the view of the heritage buildings, but further consideration of these elements is required. Consider creating two separate building masses that provide for an intuitive pedestrian route, light access and harbour and heritage building views in line with the natural view corridor. The division between buildings would likely be north of where the lobby is currently located.

Response: Two separate building masses have been created by revised massing. The single storey pavilion helps to define intuitive access points into and routes through the site. Removal of the south wing of the larger building opens up light and view access from the east from downtown and also from the harbor to downtown.

Development Services: Enhance visual and physical permeability from adjoining public streets and open spaces to heritage buildings, internal public spaces and harbour beyond, and make the internal public spaces more inviting and welcoming. This can be achieved through building form, scale, massing, articulation and siting, more specifically, by breaking the building into two to create a mews of sufficient width connecting the corner of Wharf and Johnson to the internal public plaza and open space network.

Response: Removal of the south wing of the main building and replacing it by a single storey pavilion with reduced footprint has increased visual and physical permeability from adjoining streets and open spaces to the heritage buildings. The massing of the larger building is further articulated through material and planar variation.

Development Services: The building massing, as it appears from the waterside, is of concern. The Official Community Plan speaks to supporting new development with form and character that contributes to and complements the skyline of the Core Historic area. This skyline is defined by a “jumble” of building forms and massing as opposed to a wall, which is currently how the water side elevation reads. Further breaks, redistribution of massing, and a greater mix of building terraces and forms should be considered.

Removal of the 5-storey south wing of the building has allowed the heritage buildings to be seen from the harbor side without interference from the mass behind. The running width of the west elevation has been halved, with the remaining massing being broken down into a “jumble” of elements highlighting a 2-storey stone massing to align with the heritage buildings, and a masonry warehouse type mass above with further stepped 6th and 7th levels articulated in variegated metal panels and glazing.

there is a better view of the warehouses from wharf st, as can be seen in the 2nd & 3rd pics above

#1589 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:25 PM

This project has been overthought from day 1.

#1590 cathawk

cathawk
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:31 PM

I think this is my favourite design of all of them. There is a funkiness-factor that has been missing in all of the previous designs that I see here. To me, it looks like it is acknowledging and respecting the space it is situated in, while still being modern and interesting. Let's hope this version moves forward!

• Mike K., jonny, thundergun and 1 other like this

#1591 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:31 PM

some more pics, from p.6, p.15. p.22 & p.32 of the most recent pdf here
https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00294

i think the two old warehouses are visible (or more visible) from wharf st in this version

FYI the embedded link isn't working

#1592 jstovell

jstovell
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

Full Package:

https://tender.victo...825093140920000

• rambaldi likes this

#1593 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:31 AM

A GIF of all the designs over the years would help highlight council's debacle of this site's potential

With Merrick as architect to complete the vision, it is quite likely the best we will would ever have, or, could have, seen.   Now, anything will only be 2nd, 3rd or 4th best.  um, make that 5th or 6th?

• Nparker likes this

#1594 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

After the better part of 8 years of back-and-forth with the city, this project will again be on the agenda for the Advisory Design Panel meeting today.

#1595 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

^Along with the lot beside the Janion. Busy day!

#1596 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:38 AM

^Along with the lot beside the Janion. Busy day!

My guess: Store Street proposal probably moves ahead; NJ languishes in further design change recommendations (needfully so based on the last horrid proposal).

#1597 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

i think this design is great.  maximizes views from the units.  some awesome floor plans.  it integrates well with the new bridge, walkway, etc.  it uses interesting and modern materials.  massing looks good.  great pedestrian areas.  i like the idea of the standalone retail space.  hope it goes through.  

• Mike K. and Mr.B like this

#1598 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

Mr Stovell says the ADP’s response was favourable.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1599 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:49 PM

Mr Stovell says the ADP’s response was favourable.

It's a shame that the current design is not.

#1600 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

I preferred the curved facade myself, but I don't find the current design to be that objectionable. The texture of the brown material will be important - a rusted steel panel finish would be interesting. Often the conceptual drawings get watered down from rezoning to development permit to building permit where they're not nearly as exciting as the original drawings (especially with window size), but equally not so different that it's enough to kick up a fuss. I hope that doesn't happen here.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users