CANCELLED
Johnson Street Gateway
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1314-1324 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, live-work)
Sales status: in planning
The eight-storey Johnson Street Gateway/Northern Junk condominium and ground floor commercial development is c... (view full profile)
Learn more about Johnson Street Gateway on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Johnson Street Gateway (Northern Junk) | condos; commercial | 7-storeys | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1740 replies to this topic

#1621 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:56 AM

...Note that ADP requested changes to the material, so we may be seeing more tweaks

Perhaps it can be made to look more like the approved Ironworks project. That's about the only thing I can think of that will make this project uglier than what it has become.

#1622 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

Maybe they should take a chance and resubmit the initial design, as I think anyone who saw that plan has since died of old age.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#1623 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:35 PM

Next step is Heritage Advisory Panel - May 8th.

And what happened at this meeting?

Edited by Gary H, 09 July 2018 - 12:36 PM.

#1624 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:11 AM

The project will advance to Council to request referral to Public Hearing. Currently October 4. The site is not more clearly deleted by the interim completion of the Bridge South East Plaza. 

#1625 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:21 AM

Sorry Jon, can you elaborate on the not more clearly deleted comment? Did you mean more clearly delineated?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1626 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

*deliniated

#1627 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:39 AM

*delineated

#1628 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:40 AM

Gotcha, thanks.

Is the latest info package that we referenced some months back still reflective of the latest changes?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1629 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:42 AM

Maybe they should take a chance and resubmit the initial design, as I think anyone who saw that plan has since died of old age.

I think the traffic is worse at the bridge with much longer wait times at the lights. 

I would wait a few more years until after they rip up the roads and put in a roundabout.

• sebberry likes this

#1630 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:40 AM

There is a slightly updated one on the City Development Tracker Web Site. Different exterior materials. Minor massing and facade revisions.

• Mike K. likes this

#1631 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:35 AM

Can you provide a link? Either I can't find it or haven't yet figured out how to use the development tracker website.

#1632 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:55 AM

Latest plans (August 3, 2018) as per Development Tracker: https://tender.victo...825093140920000

#1633 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:05 AM

From the above link.

NJ1 Aug 2018.JPG

NJ2 Aug 2018.JPG

NJ3 Aug 2018.JPG

I must say this is definitely not my favourite proposal for this site. I don't see how it jives with the Old Town guidelines and I don't like its connection (or lack thereof) to the heritage structures. I certainly can't see Pam supporting this.

#1634 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:52 AM

There are a lot of things to like but I have to note how massive it is as compared to the very small/short early concepts. Consider the "opened up" view at around the 50-second mark of this video, and then try to visualize a new building about the same size as the Regent Hotel right there in the middle foreground (see also the harbour context images in Dialog's document, or the view down Johnson St. image). I'm not saying it would be a tragedy, it might be perfectly fine (it might even help to enclose the intersection & bridge approach more and thus create less of a gaping intersection feel and more of a "room" feel around there)... but I just can't help to observe how Victoria's stinkers tend to manufacture the very scenarios that they claim not to want.

(But... by making the building taller and eliminating the section that wrapped behind the old buildings along Wharf Street they preserve a massive wide open space from the old buildings through the little park. So there's that.)

post-96-0-53210400-1536087740.jpg

On the plus side, it's sort of odd and unconventional, which I like. No doubt it will be criticized for being yet another cookie-cutter condo building, but it sure isn't yet another cookie-cutter condo building. And I also really like the mix of stone cladding, although I think they need to be careful for the lighter shade and choose something that has a bit of pop, maybe a nice gloss or a slight colour cast or whatever. You don't want it to end up looking like plain grey concrete, is my point.

Edited by aastra, 05 September 2018 - 09:56 AM.

• tedward likes this

#1635 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:10 AM

...by making the building taller and eliminating the section that wrapped behind the old buildings along Wharf Street they preserve a massive wide open space from the old buildings through the little park...

In other words, nothing like the historic street front would have been like.

#1636 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:27 AM

... by making the building taller and eliminating the section that wrapped behind the old buildings along Wharf Street they preserve a massive wide open space from the old buildings through the little park. So there's that.

In other words, nothing like the historic street front would have been like.

But it does mesh with the "general characteristic" of having street ends terminate with a view of the harbour (and Sooke foothills!) listed in the Old Town Design Guidelines

#1637 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:48 AM

But it does mesh with the "general characteristic" of having street ends terminate with a view of the harbour (and Sooke foothills!) listed in the Old Town Design Guidelines

But doesn't Reeson Park already fulfill this purpose?

Capture1.JPG

The height and mass of this proposal certainly isn't going to provide much of a view at the terminus of Johnson Street.

Capture.JPG

It's all sort of a moot point, because I don't believe anything this tall will get approved along Wharf Street.

#1638 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:48 PM

My sense is that any renderings of proposals at this location look unnecessarily big due to the empty space around this site with the harbour, bridge, roadways and park nearby. This latest rendering does not depict a large building.   

I like it. I think I like it a lot. I like the colours and textures. I like that the Northern Junk buildings will stand alone. I love the view from Johnson. I like its triangular shape. It’s large enough that it will be impactful, but not so large that it’s out of place. I hope they get on with it already.

The old Northern Junk buildings have been built up with this magical mystique to a ridiculous level. Really, we’re talking about a small, underutilized, derelict piece of land on the edge of downtown in an “up and coming” neighbourhood.

#1639 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:54 PM

...The old Northern Junk buildings have been built up with this magical mystique to a ridiculous level...

Which is probably one reason I preferred early proposals that didn't give them such prominence.

#1640 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:13 PM

Definitely too tall for old town waterfront.

...and now I need to go into hiding from the VV hit mob.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users