CANCELLED
Johnson Street Gateway
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1314-1324 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, live-work)
Sales status: in planning
The eight-storey Johnson Street Gateway/Northern Junk condominium and ground floor commercial development is c... (view full profile)
Learn more about Johnson Street Gateway on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Johnson Street Gateway (Northern Junk) | condos; commercial | 7-storeys | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1740 replies to this topic

#21 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for fixing the corresponding thread ID, Mike, I had just noticed that.

So what do you think? I'm not sure of the roundabout idea; I'd like to hear what the City Engineering department thinks of it.

#22 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:18 AM

I'm dubious about a roundabout here. Doesn't seem to do anything to alleviate the wasted space.

The proposal looks good. To get over the height guidelines, I hope the developers pitch this as a real landmark building with the finest materials and finishing. The sketches look promising to me, though maybe a bit like Shutters...

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

Paul Merrick's designs rarely, if ever, disappoint in terms of design and materials.

Thanks for fixing the corresponding thread ID, Mike, I had just noticed that.

No probem :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

I am sorry to hear that no liquor primary licenses are going to be considered. The water front stroll would be ideal for a nice pub or upscale wine bar. The Regent people bore me. Why dont they just figure out they are living in a city. Air conditioning would help too.

#25 Peter_S

Peter_S
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:07 PM

What we said is that we would not have a night club. That does not preclude a licensed establishment such as a restaurant or brew pub being a consideration. Jon Stovell. Reliance Properties Ltd.

#26 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

Another picture of the model for you. This one shows more of the north side and the surrounding context. Again, if a new bridge is built there will be more land next door.

#27 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:30 AM

Hey John, do you think there is any chance of the building being approved by the city at it's current height, or will Pam Madoff prevent it? I am unsure about the approval process. If it would help, I am willing to support the project at a council hearing. Getting mundane buildings simply to obey a height limit is not something I want to happen.

Also, being a tall person (6' 4") I am in full support of any residential units with high ceilings.

#28 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

Interesting model. There's a lot to like about it. I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing on the north side's ground floor. Are those carports?

#29 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

Awnings.

Looking at the waterfront walkway in that photo, I guess where it ends and goes up the stairs (at the bottom of the photo) would be where the connection to the new bridge would be, so the walkway would then extend underneath the bridge.

#30 ryleyb

ryleyb
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

This looks really interesting... Is there any existing residential in the area that will have sightlines impacted by the extra height?

How does this work with the Bridge proposals, were any of the approaches supposed to be through that Johnson/Wharf median area?

#31 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

Anything shorter would just not look right.

Interesting that we're all worried about the one councilor that might vote against this one in the interest of the heritage of Olde Town, when she voted to replace a heritage landmark beside this development.

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

What we said is that we would not have a night club. That does not preclude a licensed establishment such as a restaurant or brew pub being a consideration. Jon Stovell. Reliance Properties Ltd.

Really? A brewpub would be awesome. They are however liquor primary.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:48 AM

Robert Randall, chairman of the Downtown Residents Association, said members like the idea of restoring the old buildings, adding something new to the area, and welcome residential use. They want to make sure new residents realize that they are on a working harbour, which can be noisy, and they would not support a nightclub in the buildings. Stovell said a conventional nightclub is not in any plans.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz12R2SEB6a
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#34 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:11 AM

Go Pam Go! What a joke. Love the "have to get it right comment". Since when has she ever "got it right?" The only thing Ms Madoff is dedicated to is ensuring Victoria remains in the Dark Ages.

I will bet my next paycheck, my dog, and my next meal, that thanks primarily to her and a few like minded individuals, that the finished site will not look like that rendering; that it will be shorter (of course!) because only in Victoria would 3.5 meters be an issue :rolleyes:, and above all - again - we willl completely - again - pooch an opportunity to greatly improve a sad sack area that has sat in an inexcusable state for decades.

Finally an architect proposes to do something about that and - again - its obvious the small minds running this city will - again - put them through the ringer to the point that whatever ultimately emerges will be so watered down, such a shadow of what it could have been that - AGAIN - Victoria will reaffirm its commitment to mediocrity. Great. Just great.

Why is it that cities like London or Paris, with HUNDREDS of years of history and "heritage" can happily build modern contempory structures - often parked right beside those older heritage structures - but poor little backwater Victoria, in its infinite obstinance, remains afraid of the "modern"? Seriously, what the hell is the matter with this town? And people like PM have the temerity to claim this place is 'world-class'. Riiiiight. In a pig's eye.

#35 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:34 AM

Very frustrated.

#36 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:36 AM

Wow, I'm really confused now.*

I thought the city and the local politicians were all about boldly going forward, heritage and history be damned? Isn't that what they were force-feeding everyone during the bridge replacement saga? The future is more important than heritage and history? Don't be a stick in the mud?

So when the city wants to destroy history and heritage we should love it because the destruction of heritage and history is progress and we all want to be progressive and forward thinking, but when a developer wants to restore heritage and history and re-purpose it and add a little something new along with it we should all be deeply concerned?

When did the word "restore" become a bad word in Victoria? Why do the powers that be deem outright destruction to be safe and fine and good while deeming cautious restoration and revitalization to be so contentious and risky?

*Not really. Many of us called this about-face back when the bridge-replacement saga was just starting up.

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:46 AM

Unlike plans for the new building, existing Old Town buildings are not curved.

Are we talking a big sweeping curve like the curves on Shutters or are we talking about a curved corner? The Adelphi and the Imperial Bank both flaunted a curved corner, and they were two of old Victoria's finest buildings.

Oh, right. The Adelphi and the Imperial Bank no longer exist. We destroyed them a good long time ago. Hence the inclusion of the word "existing" in the above.

#38 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:57 AM

I'm so frustrated by the stranglehold death-rattle grip that people like Madoff have on Victoria, I could scream.

Height? Again? Why? An under-4-meter height variance is a big deal? What ridiculous universe is this?

As for curved structures - make me laugh out loud, Councilor Madoff. You're backing the new bridge boondoggle (built with public money, and which will undoubtedly end up costing double the estimate), a new "21st century bridge" that will certainly introduce all curves into Old Town. Somehow, that's ok, but a lousy 5-story building (built with private money, no risk to the public) is an issue?

This is so ridiculous.

Only in Victoria.

This city is truly deadsville. Rip down a unique artifact of industrial archeology (i.e., real heritage), but preserve some idiot perspective on what Old Town "needs." I think I need a barf bag.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#39 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

This is so ridiculous.

Only in Victoria.

This city is truly deadsville. Rip down a unique artifact of industrial archeology (i.e., real heritage), but preserve some idiot perspective on what Old Town "needs." I think I need a barf bag.

I don't have to write a response, you have said everything I would have so well.

Now where's my barf bag...

#40 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:21 AM

Go Pam Go! What a joke. Love the "have to get it right comment". Since when has she ever "got it right?" The only thing Ms Madoff is dedicated to is ensuring Victoria remains in the Dark Ages.

I will bet my next paycheck, my dog, and my next meal, that thanks primarily to her and a few like minded individuals, that the finished site will not look like that rendering; that it will be shorter (of course!) because only in Victoria would 3.5 meters be an issue :rolleyes:, and above all - again - we willl completely - again - pooch an opportunity to greatly improve a sad sack area that has sat in an inexcusable state for decades.

Finally an architect proposes to do something about that and - again - its obvious the small minds running this city will - again - put them through the ringer to the point that whatever ultimately emerges will be so watered down, such a shadow of what it could have been that - AGAIN - Victoria will reaffirm its commitment to mediocrity. Great. Just great.

Why is it that cities like London or Paris, with HUNDREDS of years of history and "heritage" can happily build modern contempory structures - often parked right beside those older heritage structures - but poor little backwater Victoria, in its infinite obstinance, remains afraid of the "modern"? Seriously, what the hell is the matter with this town? And people like PM have the temerity to claim this place is 'world-class'. Riiiiight. In a pig's eye.

"get it right" means G.I.R. in her eyes and god knows what is behind them!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users